England World Cup Squad 2014

Thespence

Sir Trevor Brooking has warned England their World Cup woe is set to continue, predicting worse is yet to come when the tournament takes place in Brazil in four years time.

Lets see your 23 man squad if we qualify for Brazil 2014.

GK

Robert Green

Joe Hart

Fraser Foster ( :thup:)

Def

G.Johnson

Richards

Baines

Cole

John Terry

Shawcross

Cahill

Mid

Milner

A.Johnson

A.Young

Huddlestone

Rodwell

Beckham/Lennon

Wilshere

Cattermole

Fwd

Rooney

Whickham

Walcott

Carroll

Agbonlahor

I fear for us tbh.

Hart

Johnson

Lennon

Milner

Rooney

That's the only 5 I can see now that might be even close to international level in 4 years, though someone might come from nowhere.

You'd expect Rodwell to be starting by then, and hoping that Wilshere has fulfilled some of his potential.

Guest Roger Kint

Maybe add Lansbury, Cleverley, Welbeck, Henderson etc to the possibles

Definates will be Gibbs and Jones(Blackburn) imo

No point speculatin really. For all we know Andy Carroll could be leading the line after his 40 million pound summer move to Real Madrid.

That said, I have to say the current England team is eerily similar to the 2006 one.

Harper

Simpson  Taylor  Williamson  R.Taylor

Routledge  Smith  Barton  Guthrie

Carroll  Ameobi

Rooney on the bench, or someit.

Jose Enrique will have qualified to be English by then

But Eng,Scotland, NI & Wales do not pick players who gain citizenship's by residency.

On that point, I had a thought. As there is no such thing as English/Scottish/N.Irish/Welsh citizenship could a foreigner gaining British nationalisation through residency rules opt to play for any of the home nations??

Jose Enrique will have qualified to be English by then

But Eng,Scotland, NI & Wales do not pick players who gain citizenship's by residency.

On that point, I had a thought. As there is no such thing as English/Scottish/N.Irish/Welsh citizenship could a foreigner gaining British nationalisation through residency rules opt to play for any of the home nations??

The Home Nations have agreed not to pick any players on residency grounds. But I very much doubt players would have choice they would go with the nation of the club they have been registered with longest. That is why Nacho Novo was linked with Scotland. The only people who have a choice are people who are born abroad due to there parents being in the forces, such as German U21 player Lewis Holtby.

Bring it forward from 2014 to 2012. We've got a pretty straightforward qualifying group for Euro 2012. I'd like to see Capello (or whoever) lose a large amount of the dross from the squad and actually start to blood some of the youngsters. I would back us to at least make the play-offs no  matter what so why not take the opportunity to build for the future. Of the current World Cup squad I'd only want to see a few in the first squad for the 2012 qualifiers, if we are going to have any sort of future we need to start looking further forward than just the next set of matches.

Current squad to keep for qualifiers.

Hart, G.Johnson, Terry, A.Cole, J.Cole, Lennon, Gerrard, Milner, Rooney.I might let Lampard stay on but he'd have to understand he wouldn't be a first choice player.

To fill in the gaps I'd choose from the best of the young players playing in the Premier League. Building it round the likes of Rodwell, Wilshere, Cahill, A.Johnson and dare I say it, Walcott, among others. Give them 2 qualifying campaigns together to gel as a squad and they should be good enough to perform at WC2014, or at least better than we have seen over the last week.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Really struggled with this one.

GK

Joe Hart - 27

Fraser Forster (Toon) - 26

Jason Steele (Boro) - 23

DEF

RB - Glenn Johnson - 29

RB/RM - Dan Gosling - 24

RB/CB - Micah Richards - 25

CB - John Terry - 34

CB - James Tomkins - 25

LB - Ashley Cole - 34

LB - Kieran Gibbs - 24

MID

RM - Aaron Lennon - 27

RM/CM - Jordan Henderson (Scum) - 24

RM/CM/LM - James Milner - 28

DM/CB - Jack Rodwell - 23

DM/CB - Jack Cork - 24

DM/CM - Lee Cattermole - 26

CM - Danny Guthrie - 27

AM - Jack Wilshire - 22

LM - Adam Johnson - 26

ATT

Andy Carroll - 25

Wayne Rooney - 28

Theo Walcott - 25

James Vaughan - 25

23/23

GK

Robert Green

Joe Hart

Fraser Foster ( :thup:)

Def

G.Johnson

Richards

Baines

Cole

John Terry

Shawcross

Cahill

Mid

Milner

A.Johnson

A.Young

Huddlestone

Rodwell

Beckham/Lennon

Wilshere

Cattermole

Fwd

Rooney

Whickham

Walcott

Carroll

Agbonlahor

Connor Wickham is a big prospect but a massive ask for him to develop that quickly, next season he needs to target holding down a first team spot and score consistently and Championship level, that leaves 2 years to get to Premiership level consistency and a year doing it while getting caps for England. 2014 is probably one too soon, but hopefully if the hype comes good then he's ready for euro16. Another possibility is someone like the Spuds or Chelsea buying him for buying sake, to site around in the reserves and not getting proper game time hampering his development. Staying at Ipswich is really what's best for him for at lest the whole of next season, but if Ipswich get a great offer and its a big club he could make the wrong choice and leave.

I reckon Ashley Cole would be finished by then, injury, not caring - loosing his pace, while if a thug like Cattermole gets anywhere near the England set up then we don't really deserve to be at a World Cup. Also Green is shite and never will be international class, not even with 4 more years under his belt and by then Joe Hart will be so far ahead of any English GK that it won't matter. So I'd throw in the young lad from Huddersfield, Alex Smithies. 

Apart from that, canny list i reckon.

Also Kyle Naughton, Kyle Walker, James Tomkins, Chris Smalling & Fabien Delph should be knocking around the 30 man squads as well as our own Steven Taylor, with more chance if he leaves and goes to an organised club, there's still hope for him yet after what we've seen with Dawson over the past year.

Guest schmuck

There's every reason to hate Cattermole but there really is a pretty good player beyond the crunching tackles

Hart, Forster, Loach

G Johnson, A Cole, Terry, Richards, Smalling, Gibbs, P Jones, Spence

A Johnson, Lennon, Gerrard, Huddlestone, A Young, Henderson, Rodwell, Wilshere

Rooney, Delfouneso, Carroll, Wickham

S Taylor, Cattermole, J Cole, Walcott, Gosling just missing the cut......oh, and Nile Ranger  :pow:

Quite worrying tbh