Rooney - - not firing on any cylinders

Rob W

Awful, absolutely awful. Shouldn't even be near the squad based on those performances.

:sadnod:

Anybody else and they'd have been dropped by now.

you two are f***ed, utterly f***ed if you believe that

He's played bad for four games and players who play bad should be dropped until they earn their place back in the team. What's 'fucked' about that?

"squad" was used actually, not team, and i'll refer you to Alan Shearer circa 1996 for an explanation.  In football you don't just abandon your best player(s) due to a temporary loss in form.  Everything in Rooney's career to date suggested he would have put in a performance sooner or later.  Later never came.

But then maybe you're right, if Heskey or Crouch had of started then things would have been very different I'm sure.

Shearer turned up on day one though and scored against Switzerland. If he'd got as far as Rooney without scoring, he would probably have been dropped.

Guest BooBoo

I remember Shearer getting dogs abuse prior to Euro 2000, which it made it all the sweeter when he got the winner v Germany.

The other puzzling thing with Rooney is that he was banging them in for England in qualifying (ended up just one behind the top scorer) so it's not like we were struggling to get the best from him prior to the tournament.

Guest firetotheworks

Aye, there's a big difference between players you know are quality firing blanks, but giving everything. And players you know are quality firing blanks, but giving barely anything.

Guest BooBoo

I would have involved Crouch a lot more, say what you like about him but he generally does well in an England shirt.

Anyone blaming Rooney's performance on tiredness needs to have a word.

Thomas Muller played 52 games this season for Bayern, was playing after Rooney finished his season and was playing in his first full season.

Mullers performance today was top quality. His troubled one of the best left backs in the world, bagged two goals and tracked back all game. His attitude put Rooney to shame.

Rooney's problem isn't tiredness. It's that he doesn't perform on the major stage. He's a flat track bully really. He's played in two Champions League finals, 1 FA Cup final and 8 World Cup games. He's done absolutely nothing in any of them. Add this to countless games vs Chelsea or Liverpool where he's done nothing and you can see that he struggles to do anything against good sides or when his team isn't dominant. Compare this to Drogba, Villa, Messi, Ronaldo and you see that he isn't in their league.

Fucking bottler. Everyone says "where's the Rooney who plays for Man United" - we didn't even see his passion or aggression today, which says to me that he just doesn't give a fuck.

f***ing bottler. Everyone says "where's the Rooney who plays for Man United" - we didn't even see his passion or aggression today, which says to me that he just doesn't give a f***.

:thup:

Shame alot of people think like him and let him off the hook by going "His teammates were shit!" "No service!" etc.

f***ing bottler. Everyone says "where's the Rooney who plays for Man United" - we didn't even see his passion or aggression today, which says to me that he just doesn't give a f***.

Shame alot of people think like him and let him off the hook by going "His teammates were shit!" "No service!" etc.

Do they? Don't think many people are doing that tbh.

Shame alot of people think like him and let him off the hook by going "His teammates were s***!" "No service!" etc.

Do they? Don't think many people are doing that tbh.

Few people on the telly before, sure I saw similar in a post or two on here too.

It was all wank like.

It was all wank like.

Aye

Thomas Muller played 52 games this season for Bayern, was playing after Rooney finished his season and was playing in his first full season.

Mullers performance today was top quality. His troubled one of the best left backs in the world, bagged two goals and tracked back all game. His attitude put Rooney to shame.

Rooney's problem isn't tiredness. It's that he doesn't perform on the major stage. He's a flat track bully really. He's played in two Champions League finals, 1 FA Cup final and 8 World Cup games. He's done absolutely nothing in any of them. Add this to countless games vs Chelsea or Liverpool where he's done nothing and you can see that he struggles to do anything against good sides or when his team isn't dominant. Compare this to Drogba, Villa, Messi, Ronaldo and you see that he isn't in their league.

Didn't know them facts.

Didn't know them facts.

Same here, quite interesting.

Can be an interesting WC. Out of the big European leagues, only Spain and Germany remain in contention (and we still have to play). The Bundesliga has much less foreigners than the PL, I don't know how Italy fits in these numbers (Inter plays with close to no Italians, Milan has a big foreign contingent too but I'm not familiar with the lesser clubs)... so maybe it is true that big European leagues are nowadays developing other national squads instead of their own, and that's why we see a decline of UEFA nations in this tournament.

Spain has quite fewer foreigners than the PL too, but I won't include us in the reasoning until we see how far we get (on paper we have a great deal of talent, though).