Capello stays on

Doctor Zaius
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest neesy111

Klinsmann wouldn't last 5 mins in england job, also again why do ppl good player = good manager, as it's usually the opposite

i'd go for shearer actually

Klinsmann wouldn't last 5 mins in england job, also again why do ppl good player = good manager, as it's usually the opposite

i'd go for shearer actually

I'd take Klinsmann over Shearer every day as a manager of a national side.

Not too sure about managing a club - as they both seem to be shit at doing it.

I'd get rid tbh.  I'm not normally so harsh, but:

-  He doesn't seem to think owt's wrong at the moment, and he's bang wrong.

-  Football's too dull and functional.  Doesn't inspire confidence in English players or fans.

-  Seems too much of a disciplinarian for our soft-cunt players.

-  Hasn't added anything new to our approach imo.  Playing Gerrard out on the left wing in a 442.  STILL.  Surely we should be playing the 451 / 433 that Chelsea used so effectively a few years ago.  That's what Mourinho would be doing, no doubt about it.

Just out of idle interest how could Capello punish Terry?

Drop him?  Then what if our new look central defense looked as bad as it did today?  The Fans/Press would be saying Capello cut off his nose to spite his face and got it completely wrong - too much of a disciplinarian etc. 

The rest of the points kind of agree with, especially our best midfielder out on the left. 

Should have sent him home.Play Dawson and Upson and of course if things had gone tits up,he had a ready made scapegoat.Incidentally,I think Dawson wouldn't have defended as poorly as the 2 CB's for their first 2 goals.

You know as well as i do, if we defended as poorly as we did today with Terry being sent home.  Fans/Press would want Capello's head.  Being dumped out of the world cup in that style with your best defender sent home over hardly outrageous remarks..

Terry questioned why Joe Cole wasn't playing, exactly what every England fan was wondering the same thing after those 2 awful games. 

The whole of the FA need to be sacked.

Until we start developing our youth correctly and focusing more on technical ability than kids with greater height, bulk and speed, then our national side is never going to improve.

This. The whole system needs looking at. Whoever manages England needs to be part of the overall picture, and what they have to do next is to bring through the young players who will eventually form the core of a new national team.

What I'd hope for is some long-term plan that isn't merely focused on qualifying for and doing well at Euro 2012, but uses the next few years to build some stronger foundations. We certainly need someone with a bit more vision than Howard fucking Wilkinson to do the kind of restructuring job Gerard Houllier did in France -- so successful that France began churning out technically excellent players (many of whom ended up in the Prem, though not all of national team quality; we had a few ourselves) and won WC98 and Euro 2000.

What I doubt is that the FA, hopped up on Premier League profits and infected with good old British short-termism, is up to the task.

Whether Capello stays or goes should basically be part of a much bigger question.

Just out of idle interest how could Capello punish Terry?

Drop him?  Then what if our new look central defense looked as bad as it did today?  The Fans/Press would be saying Capello cut off his nose to spite his face and got it completely wrong - too much of a disciplinarian etc. 

The rest of the points kind of agree with, especially our best midfielder out on the left. 

Should have sent him home.Play Dawson and Upson and of course if things had gone tits up,he had a ready made scapegoat.Incidentally,I think Dawson wouldn't have defended as poorly as the 2 CB's for their first 2 goals.

You know as well as i do, if we defended as poorly as we did today with Terry being sent home.  Fans/Press would want Capello's head.  Being dumped out of the world cup in that style with your best defender sent home over hardly outrageous remarks..

Terry questioned why Joe Cole wasn't playing, exactly what every England fan was wondering the same thing after those 2 awful games. 

But as a player,he had absolutely no right to.

Until we start developing our youth correctly and focusing more on technical ability than kids with greater height, bulk and speed, then our national side is never going to improve.

This. The whole system needs looking at. Whoever manages England needs to be part of the overall picture, and what they have to do next is to bring through the young players who will eventually form the core of a new national team.

What I'd hope for is some long-term plan that isn't merely focused on qualifying for and doing well at Euro 2012, but uses the next few years to build some stronger foundations. We certainly need someone with a bit more vision than Howard fucking Wilkinson to do the kind of restructuring job Gerard Houllier did in France -- so successful that France began churning out technically excellent players (many of whom ended up in the Prem, though not all of national team quality; we had a few ourselves) and won WC98 and Euro 2000.

What I doubt is that the FA, hopped up on Premier League profits and infected with good old British short-termism, is up to the task.

Whether Capello stays or goes should basically be part of a much bigger question.

And why give an International manager a new contract before a tournament?Makes diddly sense to me.

Agree, agree, agree.

But it's not likely, as you've said. Capello, Hodgson, Redknapp, Mourinho or whoever it is is not the important question. It's tearing up our grass roots that is the key thing here. BIL's spot on when he says we need to eliminate this mentality of "you're taller/stronger/faster, you're automatically a much better player" and instead learn to catch up with the leading nations and focus on technical ability. This is what needs to be taught from a young age.

And why give an International manager a new contract before a tournament?Makes diddly sense to me.

It's a pity we didn't do that before Italia 90, we then wouldn't have ended up with Graham Taylor.

Because the press told them to. :nods:

Because the press told them to. :nods:

Aye they'll be turning like a Lib-Dem tomorrow.

It's a pity we didn't do that before Italia 90, we then wouldn't have ended up with Graham Taylor.

The FA told Bobby they wouldn't be renewing before Italia 90 iirc.

The FA told Bobby they wouldn't be renewing before Italia 90 iirc.

I think they just didn't offer him any indication that they would, so he looked elsewhere.

Agree, agree, agree.

But it's not likely, as you've said. Capello, Hodgson, Redknapp, Mourinho or whoever it is is not the important question. It's tearing up our grass roots that is the key thing here. BIL's spot on when he says we need to eliminate this mentality of "you're taller/stronger/faster, you're automatically a much better player" and instead learn to catch up with the leading nations and focus on technical ability. This is what needs to be taught from a young age.

And at the national team level, I reckon we should drop all the old lags and start blooding some younger players -- even if they're not really yet good enough. We need a manager who is willing to risk sacrificing winning the next game for the sake of developing the next squad. We shouldn't be thinking, "pick Lampard [or whoever] because we need to win this one, even though he'll be finished at this level in a year or two." This lot are fucking finished, as far as the future of the national team goes.

Guest BooBoo

I couldn't give a toss about his cv or past success. What he delivered this world cup, any pub team manager could have come up with- dull one paced sterile 442 football. Should have the good grace to step down after a shambles of a tournament.

Guest Howaythetoon

I truly believe we need someone in charge who cares passionately about the performance as much and perhaps even more so than the actual result. We need someone who will allow a player total freedom. Lampard could have been a great player for England, likewise Gerrard, but those two for example have never been played the right way nor encouraged to play their natural game. We need a manager like Kevin Keegan in many ways, someone who shares his philosophy but who is able to transfer it to an international stage.

Tin hat on like but Harry Redknapp would have done a better job than Fabio with this squad at this tournament; as much as i hate the saggy faced wanker.

Also the FA stealing Tottenham's manager would be quite funny as well.

Guest Howaythetoon

Does anyone else think Eriksson wasn't so bad after all?  The performances in the WC 2006 aside, our level of performance wasn't bad at all imo.

The results were actually not too bad under Sven but the performances were poor.