The Liverpool Thread

Parky

I rate Benítez as a manager (and still do) but he lost the plot at the end. Too many nonsensical decisions, both in tactics, lineups and transfers. I agree that his successors haven't bettered him, though. But they wouldn't be a top 4 side either had he stayed, in my humble opinion.

Still remember Gerrard's face when he took Torres off a game they were chasing.

Guest PhilB

PhilB impresses me with how quickly he appears to put out any fires.

If that was the case I'd have been here a lot more often, there's so many misconceptions on here.

Guest PhilB

So they're saying the £49m loss is from a set of stadium designs that weren't even built? That must be some canny expensive paper they drew those fuckers on :lol:

The 37 million stadium design debt was down to Hicks and Gillet.  Most suspect that the majority of that went in to their own pocket, but I'm sure FSG have explored the legalities of getting it back, and decided it isn't worth it so have written it off.

I'm not that upset by the figures today, they've done a good job imo considering we had no champions league.  Commercial revenues are up by 25% and the Warrior deal will kick in for future figures.

Guest PhilB

Benitez was a top manager for Liverpool. I don't think there can be any argument against the fact that they'd be higher up the table had they stuck with Rafa and backed him the same way Dalglish has been backed.

I agree, and though I'm happy with KD I'd rather Rafa hadn't been sacked.  He was fighting with one hand tied behind his back for much of the previous regime and it's a great pity he didn't get the chance to work under decent owners.

Guest PhilB

On another note, to think Benitez was prepared to sell Xabi a season earlier and replace him with Gareth Barry!

On another note, to think Benitez was prepared to sell Xabi a season earlier and replace him with Gareth Barry!

Yes, prepared to sell a Xabi that had, for the previous two seasons, been off form by his own standards.  So bad that Rafa couldn't even get 16 million for him that summer.

Still quality though as he has proved for Madrid and Spain, even though Barry has been valuable to Man City I would have taken Xabi any day over him. That being said maybe Xabi was off form due to his want to go back to Spain???

Xabi was happy at Liverpool but was upset that Rafa tried to sell him.  That's what spurred him on to have his best ever season, and to leave for 30 million to Madrid.  Having said all that, the dire straights that the club was in financially would have seen him go anyway, we had to sell to buy, and sometimes it was just sell.  There was no money put in over Rafas last two seasons.

Xabi still comes over to Anfield when the Spanish league takes a break, and is always sending messages to the team and fans through his twitter.  I'd have him back in a heartbeat

Guest PhilB

So your happy with finishing below Everton? you could'nt make this s*** up :lol:

Really doesn't bother me at all, they'd far rather have beaten us in the semi, and if we go on to win two trophies I couldn't care less who we finish below.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

PhilB impresses me with how quickly he appears to put out any fires.

If that was the case I'd have been here a lot more often, there's so many misconceptions on here.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

ok.

Can someone tell me why Liverpool fans actually have faith in Dagliesh? I know I will get some stupid answers, but I really want to know why they think he's good.

Guest GeordieAce

Can someone tell me why Liverpool fans actually have faith in Dagliesh? I know I will get some stupid answers, but I really want to know why they think he's good.

I find it amazing they have such blind faith in him. I find it even more amazing they fail to realise their demise is down to one common factor. You get their fans peddling a load of shite about how King Kenny has their best interests at heart and that may very well be the case. It doesnt change the fact that the man is an absolute fuck wit of the highest order. Long may it continue  O0

What do they mean by written off? Have Fenway just paid off the debt without doing what Ashley's done and taken a zero-interest debt?

Presumably, it was still sitting on the balance sheet with a nominal value, and they crossed it out due to its being no use to anyone. My understanding is that it's much as if I said my collection of empty beer bottles is worth £20, but then I threw them in the bin.

Regarding our debts: we didn't have any to speak of. The massive debts belonged to our previous owners. They were paid off by selling the club to our present owners.

We made about £10m profit, but spent that paying off the staff we sacked. Liverpool is in sound, if not spectacular, financial shape.

Ar-bzxeCQAAAaFK.jpg

We can safely say that we at NUFC are in one of the best financial positions in the league.

Probably, yes. Ashley seems to be doing a very good job of running the club within its means. No mean feat given the awful state the previous muppets left the club in.

Guest Roger Kint

How can Sunderland's ground be so cheap? Even with cheap as fuck material, a near 50k stadium for that price is mental :lol:

Built on a sinking landfill. Probably got the land for nowt off the council or something. Anyone who has been inside the away end knows how horrendously cheap and tatty it is, wasnt Boro around the same for their identikit flat pack stadium? :lol:

How can Sunderland's ground be so cheap? Even with cheap as fuck material, a near 50k stadium for that price is mental :lol:

They built it at the right time. There was a massive building boom in the 2000's, so prices rocketed.

Liverpool fan at work is adamant that he wouldn't swap places with us. Considering the trophies they've won in recent years I find that difficult to believe. Would be different for us, obviously.

Built on a sinking landfill. Probably got the land for nowt off the council or something. Anyone who has been inside the away end knows how horrendously cheap and tatty it is, wasnt Boro around the same for their identikit flat pack stadium? :lol:

There was alittle batch of stadiums went up at about that time that were basically the same design. I think Derby Counties is similar.

Guest Roger Kint

There was alittle batch of stadiums went up at about that time that were basically the same design. I think Derby Counties is similar.

Yeah it is you are right. IIRC Derby is almost the SOL without the top tier. That wasted, ice cold Monday night at pride Park still hurts.