The Liverpool Thread

Parky

To be honest I do think you got off relatively scot-free given the circumstances. The new owners may or may not splash the cash, but they have done a decent job with the Sox and I'm sure they won't drag you down at the very least.

Even if they do a good job they'll not get Liverpool back in the top 4 this season, and for every season after it will get tougher. They aren't producing Fowler's/Owen's/Gerrard's any more and their ability to buy and entice players like Torres will never be the same especially with Citeh's financial muscle. With the new financial regs coming in they really need to make a bold statement now and splash the cash, only after buying the club immediate funds will be low and Henry & Co's long term plan (stadium etc) is how it should be done, but by the time it kicks in Liverpool will be so far away from a CL team plans might get scuppered just like under Hicks & Gillette.

To be honest I do think you got off relatively scot-free given the circumstances.

I don't really understand what that's supposed to mean. The really bad situation is on the pitch, and not much has changed there.

The club wasn't in financial bother: the old owners were. And they ended up losing £140m. The situation was always such that the club was an asset (the only asset) of a company living on borrowed time, and it was always going to go down pretty much the way it did, because no-one was going to pay the premium H&J were asking, when they could save themselves over £100m by dealing with the bank and waiting till the deadline.

The new owners may or may not splash the cash, but they have done a decent job with the Sox and I'm sure they won't drag you down at the very least.

I'm not so sure. There's a good likelihood they'll really bump ticket prices, which won't go down well, even if it's theoretically better for the club. And I worry that they'll get all arrogant and think they can do football better than anyone else, and come up with a load of useless crap that sets us back even further.

I don't believe statistical analysis is anywhere near as useful in a fluid, low-scoring game like football as in a game composed entirely of set pieces like baseball.

Rafa was big on his numbers, stats and probabilities, and I think this aspect of his approach is what hurt us in the Prem relative to the side's success in Europe. He'd choose more rounded or dependable players like Kuyt over more quixotic ones like Luis Garcia (God bless him), who can win you a game from nothing, and he squeezed too much of that creativity out of the side.

Well, I for one I expected a more traumatic selling process, and possibly a less reliable owner (this guy has run a successful sports franchise already). I understand what you mean, but Henry didn't really meddle in the Sox business, he just hired people that shared his views and let them run the place, and he hired them from within the sport. He's always struck me as a sensible person.

I'm not saying that you're going up again, you've lost a lot of ground these last few years, but your situation board-wise is a marked improvement imho.

Personally, I'd have no issues if they did it same as NFL, where one game a season is on foreign soils. But it'd be entirely down to a team giving up one of their home games for the game in question. In no way should there be an additional fixture. Totally idiotic.

Could accept that. It's the extra game, don't see how it would work with an extra game against any random team in the league and the result goes toward your final league standing. Completely unfair for various teams in many ways. Why not just start with some friendlies in pre-season or something to test the waters?

Lpool co owner supports retarded 39th game idea. On BBC sport.

He can fuck off back where he came from then. The yanks are the only nation with less of an idea of what sports clubs are really about than we do, we've already gone too far down that route.

I'd dare say this mini-revival is 4-2. I'm not one to defend Liverpool but Parky, sort it out.

nah if liverpool win sunday then its a revival and 4-2 otherwise its as is. 5-1 if liverpool get mangled by chelsea

That's the strength of it. I did give him a goal just for getting rid of Aquilani tbf.

To be honest I do think you got off relatively scot-free given the circumstances.

I don't really understand what that's supposed to mean. The really bad situation is on the pitch, and not much has changed there.

The club wasn't in financial bother: the old owners were. And they ended up losing £140m. The situation was always such that the club was an asset (the only asset) of a company living on borrowed time, and it was always going to go down pretty much the way it did, because no-one was going to pay the premium H&J were asking, when they could save themselves over £100m by dealing with the bank and waiting till the deadline.

The new owners may or may not splash the cash, but they have done a decent job with the Sox and I'm sure they won't drag you down at the very least.

I'm not so sure. There's a good likelihood they'll really bump ticket prices, which won't go down well, even if it's theoretically better for the club. And I worry that they'll get all arrogant and think they can do football better than anyone else, and come up with a load of useless crap that sets us back even further.

I don't believe statistical analysis is anywhere near as useful in a fluid, low-scoring game like football as in a game composed entirely of set pieces like baseball.

Rafa was big on his numbers, stats and probabilities, and I think this aspect of his approach is what hurt us in the Prem relative to the side's success in Europe. He'd choose more rounded or dependable players like Kuyt over more quixotic ones like Luis Garcia (God bless him), who can win you a game from nothing, and he squeezed too much of that creativity out of the side.

And Rafa goes on to get cained at Inter.  :lol:

He can fuck off back where he came from then. The yanks are the only nation with less of an idea of what sports clubs are really about than we do, we've already gone too far down that route.

Don't a lot of them change their support/alliegences after the draft or summink. Could be wrong.

Guest VegasToon

Don't a lot of them change their support/alliegences after the draft or summink. Could be wrong.

You are correct.  We call them bandwagon fans.  They support whomever is winning.  My friend supports ManU, but when the whole Rooney thing was happening, he was talking about supporting Arsenal. 

Yeah, cos lord know's English Soccer doesn't have that problem.

Yeah, cos lord know's English Soccer doesn't have that problem.

:facepalm: