The Liverpool Thread

Parky

I genuinely think they'll win it. They'll beat City and Chelsea at Anfield I think. Suarez will start scoring again soon too. They look the real deal, used to think Rodgers was a fraudster at Swansea due to Sousa, Martinez etc before him, but he really is a cracking manager. Their defence is questionable like but if he sorts it out and doesn't win it this year they definitely will be challenging next year.

Not good enough away from home and they are still playing without real pressure.

I disagree. They needed to get a result against Arsenal to shave points off their rivals. They obliterated them. They had to come back from behind to beat Fulham and they did. They took a comfortable lead against Swansea, let them back in the game, made it more difficult for themselves, and still managed to win.

The media have been asking "can Liverpool win the title" since they lead at the top after a few games, and it has gathered pace since they beat Arsenal. IMO they have what it takes if they can continue to score the goals (they are the league's top scorers iirc). As much as I hate them, I would like to see them win it ahead of the other 3 suspects, simply because it would be good to have a competitive league again.

The pressure from keeping a distance between 4th and 5th in comparison to winning a league title is massively different.  We've seen Arsenal choke themselves out of a title or two while always finishing strongly when needed to finish 4th.

Think they'll have to win 9 out of their remaining 11 fixtures to win the league and I don't see that. 

The pressure from keeping a distance between 4th and 5th in comparison to winning a league title is massively different.  We've seen Arsenal choke themselves out of a title or two while always finishing strongly when needed to finish 4th.

Think they'll have to win 9 out of their remaining 11 fixtures to win the league and I don't see that.

I agree in that their "mettle" hasn't been tested yet with this side as far as mounting a proper title challenge is concerned. Their match at Old Trafford will be a huge test for them. Win that, and they're firmly in with a realistic chance of winning the whole thing.

I genuinely think they'll win it. They'll beat City and Chelsea at Anfield I think. Suarez will start scoring again soon too. They look the real deal, used to think Rodgers was a fraudster at Swansea due to Sousa, Martinez etc before him, but he really is a cracking manager. Their defence is questionable like but if he sorts it out and doesn't win it this year they definitely will be challenging next year.

Not good enough away from home and they are still playing without real pressure.

I agree that our performances away from home leave much to be desired, but it's interesting that Chelsea only have 3 more away points than us with the same number of games played. City only 2 points more.

Arsenal and Spurs have been tremendous away from home, but their away form is league dominating, as opposed to league title challenging.

You face both City and Chelsea at home right? If you beat them, you'll deserve to win it.

You won't though. Win it that is.

Think we'll do City at Anfield, but Chelsea is a different kettle of fish, but the game could be sandwiched between their CL Semi-ties if they are there, so that'd be a big advantage.

More concerned about next week at St. Mary's though. They are a bit of bogey team for us lately, so it'd be a massive result if we get 3 points there. Also considering both Chelsea and Arsenal have tough away games on the same day (Chelsea play a local derby, and Stoke have lost 2 at home all season).

Liv have directly benefited from the ManU slump and Everton not having a striker for a few games. Spurs have also played into their hands by first having a negative coach and then replacing him with a greenhorn.

Liv have directly benefited from the ManU slump and Everton not having a striker for a few games. Spurs have also played into their hands by first having a negative coach and then replacing him with a greenhorn.

Not having it. My history here shows I am one of the most pessimistic fans around, always looking for a reason to moan, but the numbers don't lie mate.

Ferguson retiring, Lukaku getting injured, and AVB being negative has had zero effect on our strike force scoring 70 goals in 27 games. It's a premier league record. None of Wenger's "beautiful football", "invincibles", "youth project" sides, Ferguson's title winning sides in Prem era, Keegan's Newcastle or even Ancelotti's free-scoring Chelsea side of 09-10 scored that many goals in 27 games. It's not a great record, it's a breathtaking one, that is all dependent on Liverpool itself, and not the rivals weakening. This has been coming coming for a long time. Since losing at home to Man Utd in September of 2012 (Rodgers' 5th game in charge), the team has lost 10 in 60 league games. We've lost one set of back-to-back fixtures with Rodgers, and that being away at City and Chelsea, separated by 3 days for an injury ravaged squad. Despite the indifferent defensive form, the team is not easy to beat the slightest, due to its attacking flow. On December 25th, we were top. If the league started on January 1st, we'd be top. It's time to compare the team with the 3 who people count as "dog's bollocks" I feel. We've been closer to them all season, than the 3 below.

We could very well go on and implode now, losing games left, right centre, and lose the 4th spot. It could happen. Natalie Portman could also divorce her husband, and propose to me after weekend date. That could happen too. But evidence of last 1.5 years, and most statistical models and common sense says those 2 are unlikely to happen. The team has this position on merit, and not because of other teams' incompetence, in my opinion.

Even if this was true, it's irrelevant. Brenda's job is to get Liverpool in a CL position. He's achieved that (so far), and in addition to that they look like title contenders. Even 4-2 is kind. Not entirely sure how you got 2 tbh.