The Liverpool Thread

Parky

laughed at nufc fans for that? no nufc fans had been chanting in the stands for Keegan before he was appointed, plenty of liverpool fans have been shouting for Dalglish. Keegan hadn't even been out of the game 3 years since doing a decent job at man city. dalglish has been out of his league for 13 years and has a few months in the piece of piss league over a decade ago as the last manager's job on his CV.

To be clearer, I laughed at those who thought it was a good idea. I don't think many LFC fans think getting Kenny in is a good idea, it's more something to chant that isn't straight up "fuck off Hodgson".

Like you say, it would be a mental appointment. I don't imagine the owners would appoint him, but there's no way of knowing yet because they have zero track record to go on.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

laughed at nufc fans for that? no nufc fans had been chanting in the stands for Keegan before he was appointed, plenty of liverpool fans have been shouting for Dalglish. Keegan hadn't even been out of the game 3 years since doing a decent job at man city. dalglish has been out of his league for 13 years and has a few months in the piece of piss league over a decade ago as the last manager's job on his CV.

To be clearer, I laughed at those who thought it was a good idea. I don't think many LFC fans think getting Kenny in is a good idea, it's more something to chant that isn't straight up "fuck off Hodgson".

Like you say, it would be a mental appointment. I don't imagine the owners would appoint him, but there's no way of knowing yet because they have zero track record to go on.

What about their other Sports Franchises?

Scum. :thup:

for a few weeks or months as caretaker manager i don't think he'd be that bad, but i doubt he'd be any better than Hodgson (he may even be worse considering he's been out the game so long).

The situation has obviously gotten to Hodgson now but i think it's exaggerated. Liverpool are simply not good enough to go for the top four and even with a great manager last season could only finish 7th. at present you've got games in hand on the teams above you (away at blackpool, home vs fulham i think) and if they do well in those you'll be in a decent position.

with the right board, and taking into account his, errr, "unique" character traits, keegan would've been a decent appointment. for a few years anyway. don't think he's ever had the stamina of the likes of fergie or wenger to be a proper long-term appointment for a club. after 4/5 years at both us and city he felt he couldn't take either side any further.

Liverpool's situation reminds me a bit of our position under Dalglish - a team in decline with limited funds, but expectations and pressure still very high. It's a very difficult situation for the manager to handle. Looking at their team, I think upper mid-table is probably the right level, but the fans will see the manager as under-achieving. That team needs rebuilding, but I can't see any manager being given the time at the moment.

Sorry like its absolutely nowt like when kenny took over fro

keegan.  No similarties,  they have a dog shit midfield,  dog shit defence and one forward thats in a huff.

Kenny had ,  ferdinand,  shearer,  beardsly, asprilla, ginola,  gillespie, rob lee, batty  albert and peacock to name but a few.  Liverpool at thos moment would fucking kill for players of that quality right now.  Not the same at all.

Dalglish would struggle just like Keegan did on his return here, horrible morale and some shit players takes time to fix.

Might buy some time to find the right manager though, at least the fans would initially be back on side, like Keegan's return.

Liverpool are making a big mistake. If they're going to sack him do it now and give the new manager time to get some players in before the window shuts. Of course, i'd rather they didn't take my advice. It's brilliant seeing them fall like this.

for a few weeks or months as caretaker manager i don't think he'd be that bad, but i doubt he'd be any better than Hodgson (he may even be worse considering he's been out the game so long).

The situation has obviously gotten to Hodgson now but i think it's exaggerated. Liverpool are simply not good enough to go for the top four and even with a great manager last season could only finish 7th. at present you've got games in hand on the teams above you (away at blackpool, home vs fulham i think) and if they do well in those you'll be in a decent position.

with the right board, and taking into account his, errr, "unique" character traits, keegan would've been a decent appointment. for a few years anyway. don't think he's ever had the stamina of the likes of fergie or wenger to be a proper long-term appointment for a club. after 4/5 years at both us and city he felt he couldn't take either side any further.

heres the problem they could very easily get sucked into a relegation battle as it stands and while surely be to god they're too good to go down you never know, daglish hasnt really managed since he was at our place and appointing him would be gambling everything on him just "giving everyone a lift"

a lot of guff has been put about how if he walked in he'd instantly demand attention blah blah blah etc etc but what of tactics, training sessions, set pieces etc? ie the nitty gritty of management, you can't just skirt by on being a nice face for the club and there has to be serious doubts about his ability here and his actual hunger to manage considering hes been off the merry go round for over a decade

The funny thing is that it was blindingly obvious Hodgson was going to need time. It was the same at Fulham and they nearly went down. The same at Blackburn but Jack Walker made the decision to sack him, which like now might be the right thing to do.

Hodgson was always the wrong appointment, the majority of Liverpool fans expected a champions league place and pushing for the title this year. They are miles away from that. I do think Hodgson could bring that given time, but I dont think many associated with the club can accept that.

The question is how transferable is that skill, and will they try to transfer more than is reasonable.

While last season went somewhat down the shitter, I think that was mostly down to the boardroom shenanigans. Obviously, we lost our best player in Xabi, but it was still pretty much the same side that was comfortably top 4 and did well in the CL.

I'm not really in a position to comment on Keegan, as you guys all know a million times more about it than me; I just felt at the time that it was a crazy appointment.

heres the problem they could very easily get sucked into a relegation battle as it stands and while surely be to god they're too good to go down you never know, daglish hasnt really managed since he was at our place and appointing him would be gambling everything on him just "giving everyone a lift"

a lot of guff has been put about how if he walked in he'd instantly demand attention blah blah blah etc etc but what of tactics, training sessions, set pieces etc? ie the nitty gritty of management, you can't just skirt by on being a nice face for the club and there has to be serious doubts about his ability here and his actual hunger to manage considering hes been off the merry go round for over a decade

That's the thing. Now is not the time to be making risky appointments.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

The question is how transferable is that skill, and will they try to transfer more than is reasonable.

Its managing a business, the same as any other sports team. You need the right Manager (CEO) to handle the business. Why is the current team/business failing? What can a new man do to correct that. How have they handled Boston, what did they do to turn that around?

With all that said, I can't help but feel that Liverpool this season is a microcosm of Newcastle's tenure under Mike Ashley! So eerily similar.

Its managing a business, the same as any other sports team. You need the right Manager (CEO) to handle the business. Why is the current team/business failing? What can a new man do to correct that. How have they handled Boston, what did they do to turn that around?

With all that said, I can't help but feel that Liverpool this season is a microcosm of Newcastle's tenure under Mike Ashley! So eerily similar.

insofar as i know they used a lot of statistical analysis to make judgements for boston, whether they can use that for football lord knows

your squad is full of shit left by the previous manager, and for some reason it seems like RH is getting most of the stick.

wankers.

For some reason? Benny's their Messiah, can't you see that? He won them the Champions League. THE CHAMPIONS LEAGUE. The Holy Grail, man. He is God. You're just too blind to see that. Hodgson deserves everything he gets for trying to improve upon God.

Guest Chubby Jason

your squad is full of s*** left by the previous manager, and for some reason it seems like RH is getting most of the stick.

wankers.

For some reason? Benny's their Messiah, can't you see that? He won them the Champions League. THE CHAMPIONS LEAGUE. The Holy Grail, man. He is God. You're just too blind to see that. Hodgson deserves everything he gets for trying to improve upon God.

He's not improved though has he? They wouldn't be in this position if Benitez was still there.

your squad is full of s*** left by the previous manager, and for some reason it seems like RH is getting most of the stick.

wankers.

He's not improved though has he? They wouldn't be in this position if Benitez was still there.

I did say trying.