The Liverpool Thread

Parky

He joined us at a bad time from his point of view, when the team had already peaked and money was a bit tighter.

All the same, I'm not convinced he's the complete package. There's a good early trophy haul, but at Liverpool, he inherited the best team in the country and a great backroom set-up. At Blackburn, he could out-spend every other club, and word is that Ray Harford did most of the donkey work.

I think his Achilees heel is that he's a sensitive soul who doesn't deal well with criticism or pressure. It's interesting now that he's been keen to recruit all his old pals to back him up.

I've said it before, but Daglish deserves a lot of credit for our 2nd place finish in 1997. I always though he would have got it right eventually.

shit man it's nearly 1 am and i'm going to have to have a shower to cleanse myself as i'm in agreeance here.

Guest Chubby Jason

There fans on SSN

'New Era'

'King Kenny'

'Spirit of the club'

Frightening

Remember the sensible and concise reaction from the NUFC fans around SJP on Sky Sports News when we brought back KK/When Shearer was appointed/when we sacked KK?

There fans on SSN

'New Era'

'King Kenny'

'Spirit of the club'

Frightening

Remember the sensible and concise reaction from the NUFC fans around SJP on Sky Sports News when we brought back KK/When Shearer was appointed/when we sacked KK?

Exactly why its frightening. Look how that worked out....

There fans on SSN

'New Era'

'King Kenny'

'Spirit of the club'

Frightening

and we're the last club on earth any club should attempt to imitate

Guest Chubby Jason

There fans on SSN

'New Era'

'King Kenny'

'Spirit of the club'

Frightening

I know, the point I was making is that fans are overly emotional about club heroes, it's what football is about. I was delighted when KK came back and lost all sense of logical thinking, it's what makes sport great. We really are not in a position to point fingers & mock other supporters when we have been in the exact position and were just as delirious as Liverpool fans are now.

I hate Liverpool but quite like Dalglish.

I dont think he ever took the Newcastle job particularly seriously. For that, I wish him ill will at Liverpool who are an awful enough club without him.

This is utter nonsense, frankly - HTT is absolutely right, Dalglish WOULD have done a good job at SJP(we were 6th in the PL when he took over and finished 2nd to Man U after winning at Arsenal on the last day), but the club had limited transfer funds due to PLC disciplines, he got hit with a bad injury to Shearer in his first full season and that cost us the best of Tomasson.

Dalglish restarted the Reserves after KK scrapped then in pique because he didn't want them playing at SJP and also the Juniors ; he signed Hamman, Gary Speed, Nobby, Given and Dabizas and was limited with funds for much of his spell which is why he signed some poor players also.

As I have said many times, he fell out with Fletcher over Gillespie's transfer to Blackburn - reputedly, they even almost came to blows over it...hardly the reactions of a man who didn't take the job seriously....

Because of that, the club fired him at the start of 98/99 after 2 draws and we ended up with that clown Gullit who would have taken us down had not HE decided to walk after the shambles against this Saturday's opponents.

Yes, we got 'sexy football' alright - we paid heavily for it and the reality wasn't as good as people(not me)

imagined it would be !

The media hated KD because he wasn't KK - he kept them at arm's length and that is commonsense where NUFC are concerned. They always wanted him out and that was what they got.

There fans on SSN

'New Era'

'King Kenny'

'Spirit of the club'

Frightening

KK would have done OK in his second spell - maybe not as good as the first one - if Ashley had kept Wise out of his face. No doubts about it at all.

There fans on SSN

'New Era'

'King Kenny'

'Spirit of the club'

Frightening

I know, the point I was making is that fans are overly emotional about club heroes, it's what football is about. I was delighted when KK came back and lost all sense of logical thinking, it's what makes sport great. We really are not in a position to point fingers & mock other supporters when we have been in the exact position and were just as delirious as Liverpool fans are now.

This is why its easier to mock though, we've been through that hell and know it doesn't work. We should by sympathetic maybe, but the world don't work like that :D

I dont think he ever took the Newcastle job particularly seriously. For that, I wish him ill will at Liverpool who are an awful enough club without him.

This is utter nonsense, frankly - HTT is absolutely right, Dalglish WOULD have done a good job at SJP(we were 6th in the PL when he took over and finished 2nd to Man U after winning at Arsenal on the last day), but the club had limited transfer funds due to PLC disciplines, he got hit with a bad injury to Shearer in his first full season and that cost us the best of Tomasson.

Dalglish restarted the Reserves after KK scrapped then in pique because he didn't want them playing at SJP and also the Juniors ; he signed Hamman, Gary Speed, Nobby, Given and Dabizas and was limited with funds for much of his spell which is why he signed some poor players also.

As I have said many times, he fell out with Fletcher over Gillespie's transfer to Blackburn - reputedly, they even almost came to blows over it...hardly the reactions of a man who didn't take the job seriously....

Because of that, the club fired him at the start of 98/99 after 2 draws and we ended up with that clown Gullit who would have taken us down had not HE decided to walk after the shambles against this Saturday's opponents.

Yes, we got 'sexy football' alright - we paid heavily for it and the reality wasn't as good as people(not me)

imagined it would be !

The media hated KD because he wasn't KK - he kept them at arm's length and that is commonsense where NUFC are concerned. They always wanted him out and that was what they got.

I wouldn't say he didn't take the Newcastle job seriously, but at the end I think the pressure had got to him and he wanted out. There was some dispute after the argument with Fletcher as to whether he'd resigned or been sacked.

imagined it would be !

It was actually after thrashing Nottingham Forest at SJP on the last day.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

imagined it would be !

:thup:

imagined it would be !

It was actually after thrashing Nottingham Forest at SJP on the last day.

I know we beat Forest 5-0, but was not sure if it was last day ; we beat Arsenal at Highbury on 3 May, 1997 with a goal by Robbie Elliott and that was decisive because if we hadn't, Arsenal would have taken the second CL spot...only 2 available in those days.

Guest michaelfoster

KK would have done OK in his second spell - maybe not as good as the first one - if Ashley had kept Wise out of his face. No doubts about it at all.

Keegan only had a 28% win record from 21 games (the worst of his managerial career), and after being out of the game for so long i think he would of done ok at best.

Keegan only had a 28% win record from 21 games (the worst of his managerial career), and after being out of the game for so long i think he would of done ok at best.

Bold: :thup:

Ok lets look at this logically. These were the teams KK lost too in his second spell.

Keegan's side  played Arsenal 3 times

Man Utd (Played them twice though. Only lost once)

Aston Villa

Blackburn

Chelsea

Everton

Liverpool

To lose to those teams isn't exactly terrible. He had to reverse the awful midset and morale FSA had created in his spell at the club. We all know how poor he was at the club. Think back to Liverpool at home when we should have lost by 7 or 8? And when you compare how easy his first 19 games in charge were its quite laughable.

Keegan hardly had the easiest spell to manage in and the masterstroke of the 433 kept us up that season. There is no doubt in my mind.

Far too much logic being posted in here. It was a long time ago and I was very young but I remember hating him at the time.

Yeah. The belief that Kenny was going to turn it round was not a common one at the time.