New Club Captain

David28
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Xisco

Xisco - club captain

"So lads, we'll start at Tiger and head over to Tup after that, then we're meeting Nicky Butt at digi later"

Aye cos there his usual bar & clubs.

Big Kev for C.

Xisco

Xisco - club captain

"So lads, we'll start at Tiger and head over to Tup after that, then we're meeting Nicky Butt at digi later"

Ranger as VC, AIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIGHT.

Kevin Nolan. We joke about his weight but he has a big voice in the dressing room and lots of Premiership experience. His goals were a big factor in promotion and I feel like he can be relied upon to at least try his hardest every match. Potentially a good leader, inspires others.

Did you see him last time we were in the Premiership? He was utterly pathetic, he just hid all of the time.

Yeah but he wasnt the only one. A lot of them finally pulled their fingers out last season, so I'm willing to give them another chance. We should try and recapture his early Bolton form.

why not harper? ticks all the boxes surely

He's at the very back. We can't have a captain who stands on our goal line. We need a runner, a communicator, someone who can bark instructions at the other players. We need a midfielder/attacker as they are always in the play.

If we need somebody who can run then that rules out Nolan and Smith.

• 1 month later...

Nolan captain, Smith vice-captain. Confirmed.

http://www.nufc.co.uk/articles/20100814/nolan-handed-captains-armband_2240137_2121924

Nolan Handed Captain's Armband

By Dan King

Newcastle United have appointed Kevin Nolan as club captain for the 2010/2011 season, with Alan Smith vice-captain.

Nolan joined United in January 2009 and has been a key figure ever since, including scoring 18 goals from midfield last season as The Magpies won the Coca-Cola Championship title to secure promotion back to the Premier League. He was also named as the Football League's player of the year.

The 28-year-old had previously been skipper of his former club, Bolton Wanderers, and captained The Trotters to UEFA Cup qualification during his time at the Reebok Stadium. He replaces former captain Nicky Butt, who left St. James' Park in the summer.

Nolan said: "It really is an honour to be made captain of a club like Newcastle United and I'm delighted to have been given the responsibility.

"I spent three seasons as captain of Bolton which was a great experience, and I'm delighted to now be captaining this famous club. I had a taste of it last season when I wore the armband for a couple of games towards the end of the campaign, but to do so on a regular basis will be a special feeling.

"We have a great set of lads here and I'm relishing the prospect of leading them out this season - and together, we can hopefully achieve what we want to this season."

Smith was United's vice-captain for last season's successful campaign, but wore the armband on several occasions.

Manager Chris Hughton said: "What we have at the club are a lot of big personalities, and there were a number of possibilities for the role of club captain. We have a lot of characters and a lot of leaders.

"But of course, we're all aware of what an honour it is to wear the armband and Kevin will, I am sure, make a great captain. Both he and Alan Smith have a big role to play for us both on and off the pitch and that's a continuation of what they both did last season in what was a great campaign."

We'll have to see how he goes over the season. Against Rangers, he looked to be shouting alot AT the players, and getting wound up if something went wrong or he didnt get the ball. But, hey, we'll see, if he scores a hatrick on his competitive captaining debut against the mancs, i for one wont be unhappy ;)

Guest secteur2010

You know what, I really don't have a problem with Nolan as a person. Player wise he's probably past it a little bit but for a sensible head in the team, you cannot get that much better, can you?

Canny happy with this (his appointment to captain).

OH FUCK NO

Seriously what's your beef?

He is clearly an important character in the dresssing room, a senior player providing a  stable link between the management and the players, passionate about the club, and a decent bloke to boot. It's a figurehead role, Chris is not obliged to play him every game; but at the moment, until we can afford to find someone better, and whether you like it or not, he is also going to play an important role on the pitch for us this season too.

OH FUCK NO

Seriously what's your beef?

He is clearly an important character in the dresssing room, a senior player providing a  stable link between the management and the players, passionate about the club, and a decent bloke to boot. It's a figurehead role, Chris is not obliged to play him every game; but at the moment, until we can afford to find someone better, and whether you like it or not, he is also going to play an important role on the pitch for us this season too.

Nolan at his beef.