Luis Suárez

Dave
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

"The 'Hand of God' now belongs to me. Mine is the real 'Hand Of God'. I made the best save of the tournament. Sometimes in training I play as a goalkeeper so it was worth it. There was no alternative but for me to do that."

:lol:

Quality.

the righteous indignation of the anti-cheat brigade is making me like what he did and the subsequent failure to exploit by Ghana even more

get on with it son, they'll be fucked without him in the semi's most likely but he did what it takes

What do people expect him to do? Sit quietly in the dressing room while his teammates celebrate reaching the world cup semi final? It's likely to have been the last ball he'll touch at the world cup and it has essentially put his mates through to what's likely to be one of the biggest matches of their entire careers. Of course he's going to be lauded by his teammates and the Uruguayan fans, and of course he's going to milk it.

I think it was disrespectful to Ghana to carry on like that. Yes, I know, outdated values and all that, but if I'd have handballed it (which I probably would) I'd have stayed out of it out of embarrassment.

Guest firetotheworks

What do people expect him to do? Sit quietly in the dressing room while his teammates celebrate reaching the world cup semi final? It's likely to have been the last ball he'll touch at the world cup and it has essentially put his mates through to what's likely to be one of the biggest matches of their entire careers. Of course he's going to be lauded by his teammates and the Uruguayan fans, and of course he's going to milk it.

I think it was disrespectful to Ghana to carry on like that. Yes, I know, outdated values and all that, but if I'd have handballed it (which I probably would) I'd have stayed out of it out of embarrassment.

I agree, I'd have done it, but I wouldn't be proud.

I done it a few years ago, last minute of the game, 1st v 2nd, last game of the season. I got sent off and they missed the penalty, so i basically won the league for us. I dont see the problem with it, you sacrafice it with a red card, and most likely a goal from a penalty

Guest elbee909

I done it a few years ago, last minute of the game, 1st v 2nd, last game of the season. I got sent off and they missed the penalty, so i basically won the league for us. I dont see the problem with it, you sacrafice it with a red card, and most likely a goal from a penalty

I see the problem, and it's that you didn't deserve to win the league.

I see the problem, and it's that you didn't deserve to win the league.

So what if it was a last minute foul on a striker shaped to shoot, genuine attempt to play the ball, and the penalty is missed?

So, next May...........  We're beating West Brom 1-0 going into injury time, which will keep us up by a point and relegate them.  The exact same incident occurs in our penalty area and one of our defenders saves it with his hand and they then miss the resulting penalty.

Will the people calling this a disgrace be in two minds about the rights and wrongs of us staying up? 

Presumably they wouldn't want to see the player who saved it on the line celebrating our survival either?

So, next May...........  We're beating West Brom 1-0 going into injury time, which will keep us up by a point and relegate them.  The exact same incident occurs in our penalty area and one of our defenders saves it with his hand and they then miss the resulting penalty.

Will the people calling this a disgrace be in two minds about the rights and wrongs of us staying up? 

Presumably they wouldn't want to see the player who saved it on the line celebrating our survival either?

Fair enough to the first point, I wouldn't want to see the player celebrate though. Seeing a player being glorified just for breaking the rules reflects badly on the game in my opinion.

Guest Alan_Shearer

I don't consider it cheating when you are punished accordingly...red card and a pen! What more do you want?

"The 'Hand of God' now belongs to me. Mine is the real 'Hand Of God'. I made the best save of the tournament. Sometimes in training I play as a goalkeeper so it was worth it. There was no alternative but for me to do that."

:lol:

i'd hope by then there's a rule brought in that would award them a goal in the same circumstance. its pointless arguing if the player was right or wrong what matters is that the crime should be punished adequatly and to me that would mean a goal.

Guest malandro

I don't consider it cheating when you are punished accordingly...red card and a pen! What more do you want?

so if you get caught it isn't cheating ?......... :facepalm:

Just about every foul is committed with the intention of gaining an unfair advantage. Does that make every footballer who has committed a foul (ie every last one of them) a cheat? 

What about a player who constantly hangs half a yard offside in the hope that the linesman will miss just one of them and send him clean through?

Shola?

A bit like that, but deliberately, not just cos he's thick as mince.

That goal against Everton where he collected it about 5 yards off, looked at the linesman, shrugged his shoulders and buried it. :D

Just about every foul is committed with the intention of gaining an unfair advantage. Does that make every footballer who has committed a foul (ie every last one of them) a cheat? 

There is no intention to decieve the referee.  That is the important part.  No one castigates a defender that clips the heels of an attacker that is through on goal and gets punished. 

Suarez committed a foul, no one was physically harmed, and his punishment fit the crime.  Penalty + suspension.  Ghana are out because Gyan missed a penalty.  Simple as that.

To be honest, in the same situation I'd want a Newcastle player to do that rather than let the ball fly over his head.

Yep.

dont slag off the likes of solskjear (can't be arsed to check the proper spelling) then when they do cuntish things for their teams. doesn't seem like 2 mins ago terry henry was getting slagged off.

Re: what chicago just said, the Solskjaer thing rankles because, being outside the box, the punishment didn't fit the crime. This time I think it did.

What about a player who constantly hangs half a yard offside in the hope that the linesman will miss just one of them and send him clean through?

Shola?

A bit like that, but deliberately, not just cos he's thick as mince.

That goal against Everton where he collected it about 5 yards off, looked at the linesman, shrugged his shoulders and buried it. :D

yeah it's always confused me why that tactic isn't used more, deliberatly hanging offside, stopping his own teams progress 10,maybe 15 times or more in the hope that on one occasion he'll get away with it.

if they are deliberate as opposed to late then yes. i don't see the difference between that and diving, shirt pulling etc

There is no intention to decieve the referee.  That is the important part.  No one castigates a defender that clips the heels of an attacker that is through on goal and gets punished. 

Suarez committed a foul, no one was physically harmed, and his punishment fit the crime.  Penalty + suspension.  Ghana are out because Gyan missed a penalty.  Simple as that.

Well that's where you and I disagree, that the punishement fits the crime.  If its the last minute of extra time and this goal will send your team out it then becomes only sensible (dishonourable but sensible) to handle anything that's going to go over the line.  Because if you're not seen then you stop a goal for definite and if you are seen well you still get a second chance to stop a goal from the penalty spot, its a no lose situation for the cheat.

actually it's not, that's why punishment is harsher for a 'professional foul' i.e. deliberately hacking someone down who is clear through as opposed to mistiming a tackle as has been mentioned

Suarez committed a blatant, deliberate infringement of the rules, one of the worst if you like, but he was caught and punished...that's part of football, it's up to Ghana to punish him for what he did above and beyond being sent off by putting them out

they failed to do so, not Suarez's fault

stop fucking crying about it