James Perch

BeloEmre

Thought he deserved a booking, but a sending off would have been very harsh. Both players essentially did the same thing, maybe Perch's foot was a few degrees more vertical. I hate to see deliberate attempts to injure people with lunges, but he wasn't doing that IMO.

I thought the other bloke came in with two feet.

Never really saw what Whelan did, but from what I remember he didn't lunge with the studs raised like Perch. Lunging with raised studs should be banned, worse than diving ffs. Its just a disgrace.

Guest Roger Kint

Yeah i thought so too.

He did, but his studs were lower. It was just a question of how many degrees of elevation = no offence vs a booking vs a red card really.

Without having seen it again since(or sober for that matter) was there a chance Perch's higher studs were a result of seeing the two footed challenge coming in? Memory is a bit hazy how fast it happened tbh

Yeah i thought so too.

He did, but his studs were lower. It was just a question of how many degrees of elevation = no offence vs a booking vs a red card really.

Without having seen it again since(or sober for that matter) was there a chance Perch's higher studs were a result of seeing the two footed challenge coming in? Memory is a bit hazy how fast it happened tbh

Not sure TBH, I doubt it. In realtime it looked like a genuine 50/50, which it probably was. The fact that Perch's feet made contact in the way they did was probably just pure chance.

I've only seen it once but at first viewing at full speed, I thought he was going to walk for it. Players have been getting sent off for less aggressive tackles on a weekly basis.

Considering some of the stuff Huth got away with and the fact it was the only booking of the game i thought it was well harsh.

Having watched it again last night he does go in with studs up where as the stoke player looks to ho in with studs down. Also worth noting that the refs positioning couldnt really be better. He's even bending in for a closer look.  :lol:

I think yellow was probably right.

As others have said as well, very impressed with Mike Dean the referee. Seemed really on the ball, gave himself a few moments before making big decisions and explained those decisions very clearly.

http://img233.imageshack.us/img233/1236/vlcsnap2011110212h02m36.png

That picture clearly shows Perch winning the ball cleanly with 1 foot.

Genuine 50:50 ball that, very very harsh free kick never mind a harsh booking.

Im sitting here watching the video and full pelt it looks horrible. Foots off the ground, studs showing and lunges in.

Some referees would have given him red in my opinion. It was reckless in the sence that he had no control regardless whether he made contact with the ball or not. These days taking the ball is not always enough. Had Perch's foot come off the ball differently then Whelan could have been hurt.

Glad it was a yellow, would have been tamping at the time if he'd be sent off, but looking at it with hindsight, the fact that we won and its Perch after all it wouldn't have been wrong to see red. If lesser challenges given reds.

He could have been sent off, but I think he would have been unlucky. He could also have missed Whelan and been hurt himself by the Stoke player's lunge, which was almost the same.

He was trying to be committed and battle for the cause, it was a bit reckless but if it wasn't Perch we would probably have stopped talking about it days ago.

• 3 weeks later...

Don't mind him half as much in the centre of the park as I do when he plays at centre back. That's not saying I want to see him anywhere near the side - just that the last couple of cameos have done enough to suggest he is not as much of a liability there. The lesser of two evils if you like. Watching him at play in the middle of defence against Blackburn was embarrassing - him and Simpson were like a footballing version of the chuckle brothers that night.

Guest Haris Vuckic

That picture clearly shows Perch winning the ball cleanly with 1 foot.

Genuine 50:50 ball that, very very harsh free kick never mind a harsh booking.

Im sitting here watching the video and full pelt it looks horrible. Foots off the ground, studs showing and lunges in.

Jesus christ, how much football have you seen? You're an embarrassment.

''It looks horrible'' get back to watching The One Show then you silly gimp. :lol:

That would make sense. The guy is a defesive midfielder who fills in well at right back. He only played in the centre of defence because we exhausted all of our options. Most players struggle outside of their comfort zone.

Am being pedantic here, but not sure that is technically true? Apologies if I am wrong but I was under the impression he played in all three positions for Forest and if anything played more as a defender?

That would make sense. The guy is a defesive midfielder who fills in well at right back. He only played in the centre of defence because we exhausted all of our options. Most players struggle outside of their comfort zone.

Am being pedantic here, but not sure that is technically true? Apologies if I am wrong but I was under the impression he played in all three positions for Forest and if anything played more as a defender?

I thought he was more of a defender as well.