The Two Escobars

Guest Micktoon

If you all get time, seriously watch the 30 for 30 series from ESPN.  There are some wonderful stories there and you get a better perspective on our american sports culture.

Agreed.

The U. Is just starting on ESPN America.

The ones that stand out for me:

"The Best that Never Was": Story of the recruitment of Marcus Dupree to the Univ. of Oklahoma and how injuries and idiots looking after him ruined his career - he had every tool to be one of the greatest of all time.

"Pony Excess": Best one of the bunch, in the 80's, the major MAJOR recruiting violations from the boosters and administration of Southern Methodist University in Texas in which they were given an athletic "death penalty"  by the NCAA, which basically ended the school's football program for 1 full year - crippled the program and they haven't had a winning season from about 1987 until roughly 2008.  The magnitude of this "death penalty" for an athletic program is unreal.  1 year of 0 recruiting, scholarships cancelled, no practice, no home games the following year etc.  Some say they will never do this to a school again, b/c the magnitude is just something that a school/athletic program can be recover from.  Whats so painful is that these recruiting violations/paying kids and their families is still quietly going on and its only a matter of time before a major scandal hits again.

Pony Excess is amazing, 2 hours long - anyone who interested in sports/american football/our sports culture over here should check it out.  Unreal, I will be buying the entire series on DVD.

Awesome username like!

New Boy Peeter runs likes a cheetah, young beardsley's gonna be a world beeetah!

RAP.

Cheers :)

You could try it with contemporary players

''Newboy Carroll out on parole, young andy is going to score a-goal''

''New boy Ben Arfa, had his leg broke in halfa, New boy hatems going to something something...''

Nice work.

"new boy Campbell, runs like Bramble, there's no one Sol can't handle."

To be honest the above is a poor effort.

New boy Nolan got a fair size colon, New boy Kevin gonna send us to heaven

I'll get my coat

I've just watched the mat hoffman one. Jesus wept!  :kasper:

Considering i know next to fuck all about bmx, i'd heard of the bloke, i knew he had an xbox game, but that's it. I'm struggling for words beyone that, seriously...

• 2 weeks later...

Just watched once brothers, the yugoslavia basketball one. And thought i'd bump this thread.

Best one yet in my opinion. I was playing basketball myself when drazen petrovic died, not to any great standard, but i can remember the break up of that team vividly. Awesome lump in the throat type stuff.

• 2 weeks later...

Just saw it. It's amazing but I didn't like how they took quite a few liberties with the facts, like saying 'and Colombia hasn't been to a WC since'.. :lol: they made it back four years later.

And also how some of the players, like Asprilla and Valderrama, saying they left the game because they valued security over football. When I was watching it, I thought 'damn, they really retired from the national team after Escobar died? Shit.', then I go on wikipedia and find out that Asprilla played on for another 4-5 years and Valderrama played so long that when he retired he became the most capped player in Colombian history :lol:

But the bit that really made me cringe was them intimating that Higuita was in jail for the WC so some unknown 'keeper took his place... then they showed Oscar Cordoba, who I have faint memories of being an excellent 'keeper. So off to wiki I go and then encounter this stunning sentence: 'In the qualifiers for the FIFA 1994 World Cup he started in every game and conceded only two goals making him the best goalkeeper in the playoffs and received the fewest goals.' So what the filmmakers intimated was actually and completely wrong, and that Cordoba was the #1 keeper for the team, had been for a while and would be for a long, long time after.

It was an excellent documentary otherwise, but the filmmakers have left out a few details that make the sequence of events seem more dramatic than they were, which they really shouldn't have because who Escobar was and how he died was already tragic.

Guest Printzlau

Just saw it. It's amazing but I didn't like how they took quite a few liberties with the facts, like saying 'and Colombia hasn't been to a WC since'.. :lol: they made it back four years later.

It said "By the 1998 World Cup, Colombia's ranking had dropped from 4th to 34th. Colombia has not qualified for a World Cup since."

Got a fair size colon :) that's stretching it I think.

Are they available on DVD?

I have "the U" on DVD. I have seen a boxed set of the first 15 films being sold. I assume a second boxed set of the second 15 will be available soon.