The other games today - 2010/11

clintdempsey

I don't know, but if it's not, then all referees have been doing it wrong for the past 10 years that I've watched football.

I must admit, I can't recall any situations where a team has had a clear cut advantage, i.e. unpressurised possession of the ball, but because they have needlessly given the ball away to the opposition, then play has been called back. :dontknow:

I don't know, but if it's not, then all referees have been doing it wrong for the past 10 years that I've watched football.

I must admit, I can't recall any situations where a team has had a clear cut advantage, i.e. unpressurised possession of the ball, but because they have needlessly given the ball away to the opposition, then play has been called back. :dontknow:

Happens all the time, there's no specific time period for how long advantage should be played, just an acceptable amount of time, the ref can bring the play back at literally any time too...

commentator on N'Zogbia's run, 'On the playground.... you'd probably call that a ball hog'.

When he paused after saying 'on the playground' I seriously thought he was going to follow up with 'is where he spent most of his days'.

:lol:

commentator on N'Zogbia's run, 'On the playground.... you'd probably call that a ball hog'.

When he paused after saying 'on the playground' I seriously thought he was going to follow up with 'is where he spent most of his days'.

A minute. :lol:

It would have been less than 10 seconds.

You get the point though. In football, the ref has to make a fairly quick decision as to whether an advantage has been gained. There's no time limit, but it's a lot quicker than rugby.

I've no sympathy with Gomes here, because he should have anticipated that the ref would not have stopped play. Keepers are considered to have an advantage by already having the ball in their hands. Once a ref decides that an advantage has been gained, they can't take it back.

So does he have to play to the whistle or anticipate the ref's decision? He can't do both. I have more sympathy with Gomes if it looks like Clattenburg put his whistle in his mouth.

Ref's can take it back, that's one of the good things about playing advantage. The main thing that is annoying here though, is precisely that he didn't have to make a fairly quick decision. He had all the time in the world after he went to consult the linesman, and Rio, yet he still came up with the wrong decision.

The ref had every chance to make the correct decision after speaking to his assistant, it was a get out of free that he seemed originally to acknowledge he needed but still didn't take it ???

Man U, Old Trafford etc. etc.

You get the point though. In football, the ref has to make a fairly quick decision as to whether an advantage has been gained. There's no time limit, but it's a lot quicker than rugby.

I've no sympathy with Gomes here, because he should have anticipated that the ref would not have stopped play. Keepers are considered to have an advantage by already having the ball in their hands. Once a ref decides that an advantage has been gained, they can't take it back.

So does he have to play to the whistle or anticipate the ref's decision? He can't do both. I have more sympathy with Gomes if it looks like Clattenburg put his whistle in his mouth.

Ref's can take it back, that's one of the good things about playing advantage. The main thing that is annoying here though, is precisely that he didn't have to make a fairly quick decision. He had all the time in the world after he went to consult the linesman, and Rio, yet he still came up with the wrong decision.

He has to play to the whistle, so Gomes is wrong on that count. But I could sympathise with him if he could reasonably have expected a free kick to be given. However, there's every reason to think that a ref in that situation would have waved play on.

I don't think you're right on the second point. A ref can wait a short amount of time (not as long as in rugby) to check that an advantage has been gained. Once he's decided that there's an advantage, he can't take it back.

He has to play to the whistle, so Gomes is wrong on that count. But I could sympathise with him if he could reasonably have expected a free kick to be given. However, there's every reason to think that a ref in that situation would have waved play on.

I don't think you're right on the second point. A ref can wait a short amount of time (not as long as in rugby) to check that an advantage has been gained. Once he's decided that there's an advantage, he can't take it back.

Yes he can, even when his arms go out to signal advantage he can still take it back.

Of course he can take it back - nobody's in his thoughts reading what he is thinking :lol: "Sorry Tottenham, but I already decided in my head that you had an advantage so can't go back, or I might get in trouble with myself"

Yes he can, even when his arms go out to signal advantage he can still take it back.

Sorry, no. Any qualified refs here that can adjudicate?

But how could he possibly have decided there was an advantage? Nani had the ball at his feet in our penalty area with the keeper 10 yards away. Call me naive, but I'd say the advantage was with Man U there.

Ultimately, he either called advantage, in which case he should have pulled back play when Gomes misunderstood, or he didn't see the blatant handball, in which case the linesman gave him the opportunity to correct the decision.

Or he saw the handball, was going to blow up and put the whistle in his mouth, saw that the keeper had the ball, let it go on without actually properly waving play on, then when Nani asked if he'd given a free kick said no, because his mind was already on its way home. He was then forced to consult the linesman because every Spurs player went "What the Fuck", had a think about it and decided he still wanted to go home and didn't really want to have Fergie on his case.

Sorry, no. Any qualified refs here that can adjudicate?

You're telling me, you've never seen play brought back? Of course it has happened.

The ref gave the advantage to Gomes to keep the game flowing and Spurs were in a good position to get a quick break on which was the right decision. I'd expect every ref to ask the keeper simply to play on and keep the game going without a free-kick being taken. Gomes then fucks up by dropping the ball in front of him and appearing to take a free-kick, he should have just got rid of it. The ref fucks up by just allowing it to happen an not bringing it back once Nani puts it in the net. Common sense says that it shouldn't, in the spirit of the game, be allowed to stand. He then has another chance to speak to his linesman to get it right and fails to get it right again.

Both Clattenburg and Gomes are at fault. I can see why it was allowed but it's not the right way to go about things.

On a similar rule related subject, am I right in always screaming at pundits when they talk about "It was the last man". Am I right in thinking the law says nothing about sending off "the last man" and is in fact all about being and obvious goal scoring opportunity ?

:dontknow: again

Of course he can take it back - nobody's in his thoughts reading what he is thinking :lol: "Sorry Tottenham, but I already decided in my head that you had an advantage so can't go back, or I might get in trouble with myself"

Well, you've reached the heart of the problem there. Should a ref pretend that he hadn't made a particular decision, in order to keep the peace, and adhere to what some might call 'common sense'?

There would have been some criticism, on the grounds that he hadn't given a free kick and Spurs already had an advantage. But there probably wouldn't have been nearly the fuss that there is now, it's true.

But if refs are to do their job effectively, they have to be honest. It's not about doing what attracts less fuss or criticism.

The ref gave the advantage to Gomes to keep the game flowing and Spurs were in a good position to get a quick break on which was the right decision. I'd expect every ref to ask the keeper simply to play on and keep the game going without a free-kick being taken. Gomes then fucks up by dropping the ball in front of him and appearing to take a free-kick, he should have just got rid of it. The ref fucks up by just allowing it to happen an not bringing it back once Nani puts it in the net. Common sense says that it shouldn't, in the spirit of the game, be allowed to stand. He then has another chance to speak to his linesman to get it right and fails to get it right again.

Both Clattenburg and Gomes are at fault. I can see why it was allowed but it's not the right way to go about things.

In a nutshell. yes :thup:

On a similar rule related subject, am I right in always screaming at pundits when they talk about "It was the last man". Am I right in thinking the law says nothing about sending off "the last man" and is in fact all about being and obvious goal scoring opportunity ?

Yes, I think you're right. Pundits agonise about whether some other defender would have been able to get across to cover, but I don't think that's the issue. If the defender deliberately denies a goalscoring opportunity, it's a red.

Aye, the laws state 'denying a goalscoring opportunity' - how many players are infront of the attacker is irrelevant.