Hatem Ben Arfa

Guest sicko2ndbest

I like the signing but I'm not going to pretend i have watched him more then once - i know nothing about him - other than he's supposedly good but couldn't make it into a poor WC French team and that hardly any clubs are in for him. 

Nasri and Benzema didn't get into the France squad. Would you take them?

Can we sign those for 800k?

I like the signing but I'm not going to pretend i have watched him more then once - i know nothing about him - other than he's supposedly good but couldn't make it into a poor WC French team and that hardly any clubs are in for him. 

Nasri and Benzema didn't get into the France squad. Would you take them?

Wouldn't take Benzema given the current allegations!

Well, I'm not saying that. We have a tradition of gloomy fans. To think the worst is an effective way of protecting yourself from disappointment.

I'm currently in this camp. I'll believe it when the club confirm it. However, IF we do sign Arthur, I'll blow into Sewelly levels of excitement.

Though for me and loan deal doesn't make much sense, especially looking it from Ashleys point of view. The fee we'd sign him for is low compared to his supposed talent. If he comes here and has a cracking season, then he'll return to Marseille who'll sell him to a club for a fee we couldn't afford to pay, if we sign him permanently and he has a cracking season, then Ashley would have the option to flog him for much more than we paid for him. Speculate to accumulate and all that. 

Why don't we just wait and see if we do manage to get him signed first.. then why not have a little bit of faith in Hughton who I am sure knows why he wants to sign this lad and how he is planning on using him.

Well, I'm not saying that. We have a tradition of gloomy fans. To think the worst is an effective way of protecting yourself from disappointment.

I'm currently in this camp. I'll believe it when the club confirm it. However, IF we do sign Arthur, I'll blow into Sewelly levels of excitement.

Though for me and loan deal doesn't make much sense, especially looking it from Ashleys point of view. The fee we'd sign him for is low compared to his supposed talent. If he comes here and has a cracking season, then he'll return to Marseille who'll sell him to a club for a fee we couldn't afford to pay, if we sign him permanently and he has a cracking season, then Ashley would have the option to flog him for much more than we paid for him. Speculate to accumulate and all that.

There's something in the story about him having a 3m euro clause when he goes back (or something), so that's all they'll be able to sell him for. Presumably this deal will see us having first refusal on it.

Guest malandro

f***ing s*** this. Hughton's a c***, signing these poncy foreign players with pedigree rather than keeping our current squad. I'm pretty skeptical about this to be honest, I reckon he could start picking fights with the entire squad and ruin our team morale. What if he doesn't grow facial hair with everybody else and they take umbridge about it? I'd much rather we took a gamble on somebody who hasn't proven jacksh*t in his career but plays for one of the big four. Why is nobody else signing him if he's so good, we should be competing with everybody else rather than looking for sneaky bargains under other teams noses

Hope this doesn't mean Smudger will be forced out of the team. Or captain Nolan for that matter.

s*** signing. MASSIVE gamble.

[/Taylor27]

Cool Your jets. The club is being run on a shoestring and the chances of us landing a flair player of genuine quality on loan are very slim. Not impossible but remote. Arfa might prove to be a great signing but ignoring the lack of apparent competition for his signature isn’t big or clever. All things being equal there’s probably a catch. Wondering what it might be isn’t negative, it’s realism – and we all have to be realistic nowadays don’t we?

f***ing s*** this. Hughton's a c***, signing these poncy foreign players with pedigree rather than keeping our current squad. I'm pretty skeptical about this to be honest, I reckon he could start picking fights with the entire squad and ruin our team morale. What if he doesn't grow facial hair with everybody else and they take umbridge about it? I'd much rather we took a gamble on somebody who hasn't proven jacksh*t in his career but plays for one of the big four. Why is nobody else signing him if he's so good, we should be competing with everybody else rather than looking for sneaky bargains under other teams noses

Hope this doesn't mean Smudger will be forced out of the team. Or captain Nolan for that matter.

s*** signing. MASSIVE gamble.

[/Taylor27]

Cool Your jets. The club is being run on a shoestring and the chances of us landing a flair player of genuine quality on loan are very slim. Not impossible but remote. Arfa might prove to be a great signing but ignoring the lack of apparent competition for his signature isn’t big or clever. All things being equal there’s probably a catch. Wondering what it might be isn’t negative, it’s realism – and we all have to be realistic nowadays don’t we?

My grudge is the fact people will find anything to complain about. Said poster is trying his hardest to find any faults in this signing rather than looking at the positives. It's been a while since we made a signing of this ilk and I for one are gonna be pleased about it (if it comes off) rather than just mope about it.

The fact of the matter is we're just over a week away from the start of the season and haven't strengthened at all (Gosling and Sol out for the start of the season, Perch looks shat) - the fact we may now actually be adding a quality player is not something to get down about.

If the agreement is an 800k loan fee with a future purchase option, as the OM president seemed to infer (although who can say with the dodgy translations and all), and if that future purchase option isn't a completely nonsensical amount of money, then the transfer would make perfect sense for us at this time.  Even without the purchase option, it makes sense as a risk reducing move that should inject the side with desperately needed creativity in a critical (hopefully) consolidating season.

Relatively small monetary risk, potentially enormous on-pitch reward this season, and perhaps even a possibility to make the deal permanent should he be a success.  If he is a moody sulky little cunt, there's no long-term problem as he will be simple to get rid of. 

Given the considerable lack of creativity in the present starting XI, I cannot for the life of me imagine why anyone would thumb their noses at the prospect of signing a 23 year old with a solid pedigree and unquestioned talent who is seemingly motivated for whatever reason to come to us.  Are we really that blessed with talent?

It's just the thought that a player has to be being chased by 6 or so clubs to be considered decent :lol:

3-4 just doesn't cut it these days. I for one will be a lot happier if wenger comes in and beats us to the signing. At least then I will know he was good enough.

It's just the thought that a player has to be being chased by 6 or so clubs to be considered decent :lol:

He is being chased by 6 or so clubs, one is Werder Bremer (CL club).

And Benfica (CL club).

A genuinely exciting deal if it happens, simply because of what the player is like/what he can do.

First one for a while at this level. Could be a complete disaster, of course...

Guest malandro

And Benfica (CL club).

Yet for some reason he wants to play for a club probably facing a relegation battle.

And Benfica (CL club).

Yet for some reason he wants to play for a club probably facing a relegation battle.

So what? By that logic anyone who wants to play for us isn't good enough to play for us.

Which puts us in something of a pickle. :idiot2:

Guest Heneage

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_JgpgLSvz8io/SxHWYFPauyI/AAAAAAAAAZM/yNZlExAp5tU/s1600/Ben+Arfa+Hatem-792193.jpg

http://images.teamtalk.com/08/01/800x600/Laurent_Robert_622318.jpg

Lookalikes?

Guest Pedro_de_geordieo

Quotes from Marseille president Jean-Claude Dassier: Ben Arfa to Newcastle to happen" by Tues/Wed if player agrees wages "big if"

From Sunday Sun writer Neil Farrington on twitter

And Benfica (CL club).

He has said he wants to play in England ...

Q&A with Deschamps after the game:

Q: Ben Arfa has been a great back, one of few players ability to fire in the game in Marseille. Son départ ne poserait-il pas un problème ? His departure would it not be a problem?

A: I know the qualities of Hatem, I use wildcard in because I do not think he has 90 minutes in the legs. After you all know it is about to depart.

Is he unfit?