Hatem Ben Arfa

Guest sicko2ndbest

Take a look at the defence we had under Robson.

I know. People just haven't got this through their heads and we've been discussing it for 5 years now. The midfield has to have a reasonable level of posession and ability to support the attack, end of story.

This argument goes round and round but if you don't have a midfield that can stay up the pitch and keep a reasonable percentage of posession it puts untoward pressure on the defence. NO defence can survive that for 90min.

I know and I agree and with a manager who would deploy those tactics great, but I can't see it from past experience.

Our defence is good enough for the Premiership, with the possible exception of RB. With S Taylor back we would be more than equipped. Enrique is a top 6 quality player.

The problem is that they are constantly exposed and under pressure because our midfield is totally sluggish and immobile.

If we could bring in Ben Arfa and a mobile CM then we would stay up comfortably IMO, this is more important than buying a striker even.

Not saying it will happen obv.

I think Hughton sees Ben Arfa as the second striker tbh. Nolan would still play; Guthrie and Barton would be competing for the spot next to him.

That's where I would use him. 

I didn't see your edit, I wouldn't play Nolan at all and think if we are to stay in the Premiership then Hughton will have to drop him.

Take a look at the defence we had under Robson.

I know. People just haven't got this through their heads and we've been discussing it for 5 years now. The midfield has to have a reasonable level of posession and ability to support the attack, end of story.

Also came from great management. A great manager always gets more out of the players. We never had fantastic defenders under KK, we just kept the ball down the other end of the field.

I think Hughton sees Ben Arfa as the second striker tbh. Nolan would still play; Guthrie and Barton would be competing for the spot next to him.

That's where I would use him.

I would use him behind a forward too, probably. But I'd definitely drop Nolan, the man's a joke.

What's clear is that OM's attempts to offload the player to another club are getting nowhere.

To put it the other way - if Ben Arfa had publicly set his heart set on joining Bremen, had turned up there to try to force the move, and was refusing to train at Marseilles, would you want to put in a bid of £5 million for him?

At best, you get a player with a bad disciplinary record, who has made it plain he'd rather have gone elsewhere.

Our defence is good enough for the Premiership, with the possible exception of RB. With S Taylor back we would be more than equipped. Enrique is a top 6 quality player.

The problem is that they are constantly exposed and under pressure because our midfield is totally sluggish and immobile.

If we could bring in Ben Arfa and a mobile CM then we would stay up comfortably IMO, this is more important than buying a striker even.

It won't happen, I've no doubts. Wish it would though. I wouldn't say it's a possible exception of our right back either I'd say its a cert. Our right back position is awful even with Simpson back. I worry about it with Downing bombing down it on Sunday.

What's clear is that OM's attempts to offload the player to another club are getting nowhere.

To put it the other way - if Ben Arfa had publicly set his heart set on joining Bremen, had turned up there to try to force the move, and was refusing to train at Marseilles, would you want to put in a bid of £5 million for him?

At best, you get a player with a bad disciplinary record, who has made it plain he'd rather have gone elsewhere.

Depends if that money meant we couldn't buy any other player for the team due to high wages plus the fee.

I would use him behind a forward too, probably. But I'd definitely drop Nolan, the man's a joke.

I edited my post to say the same, I think Hughton will have to drop him at some stage.

Not very flattering to Ben Arfa that we wont commit to keep him even if we stay up really, isn't it.  Sounds like a pretty reasonable clause to clinch the deal to me.

That's not the point though is it.

They are wanting us (allegedly) to commit to buying him at the end of season if we stay in the Premiership.

So if he has a crap season, or is an arsehole, we would still have to fork out £5m or whatever to buy him if that clause exists. That doesn't sound like good business sense to me.

Right...then let's move onto the next rising young superstar who we can pick up on a loan if this one falls through. No doubt Hughton has a queue of clubs lining up to loan us their hot prospects. What is everyone panicking for?

It won't happen, I've no doubts. Wish it would though. I wouldn't say it's a possible exception of our right back either I'd say its a cert. Our right back position is awful even with Simpson back. I worry about it with Downing bombing down it on Sunday.

My biggest worry for Sunday is that we'll not be able to keep hold of the ball and it will keep coming back at us for 90 minutes, Perch is the least of my worries.

I'd agree with Ian, in the sense that quality players in those two positions would have the most impact. In fact, with the right players, we'd then look like a decent side.

As for RB, let's not judge Perch too early. He's looked a bit nervous, but otherwise a good athlete who hopefully will settle soon.

Not very flattering to Ben Arfa that we wont commit to keep him even if we stay up really, isn't it.  Sounds like a pretty reasonable clause to clinch the deal to me.

That's not the point though is it.

They are wanting us (allegedly) to commit to buying him at the end of season if we stay in the Premiership.

So if he has a crap season, or is an arsehole, we would still have to fork out £5m or whatever to buy him if that clause exists. That doesn't sound like good business sense to me.

Right...then let's move onto the next rising young superstar who we can pick up on a loan if this one falls through. No doubt Hughton has a queue of clubs lining up to loan us their hot prospects. What is everyone panicking for?

Hindu Times makes a very good point in the NUFC Transfer Rumours thread, he said we wouldn't even have known about this deal if it wasn't for OM's Chairman coming out and telling the press everything. So for all we know the club are working behind the scenes on signing some players that we don't have a club about.

Guest sicko2ndbest

Which scares the shit out of me. This one decision to make Nolan skipper could have a massive impact on our attacking ability.

I would go as far as saying if it is not changed by the end of September (should Nolan continue to type) it could seriously affect our prem status

I think many of us on here agree Barton and Guthrie are our most creative CM. If he is going to play a 3 in the middle im sure most on here would agree they would rather see

Smith Guthrie

Barton

or

Guthrie Gosling

Barton

and even

Guthrie Barton

Vukic

than what he went with on Monday!

I think many of us on here agree Barton and Guthrie are our most creative CM. If he is going to play a 3 in the middle im sure most on here would agree they would rather see

They are also two of the worst at giving the ball away. Listing any of those combination of midfielders shows how crap our centre midfield is.

Guest sicko2ndbest

They are also two of the worst at giving the ball away. Listing any of those combination of midfielders shows how crap our centre midfield is.

Agree

But Nolan was ineffective in the championship as a CM, in the premiership he will look like a hippo in amongst lions

I really think we've left this to deadline day and OM will try and offload him for straight cash till then, if that doesn't happen we'll get him on the original terms. That is where I honestly think MA is with this.

Guest sicko2ndbest

I really think we've left this to deadline day and OM will try and offload him for straight cash till then, if that doesn't happen we'll get him on the original terms. That is where I honestly think MA is with this.

I too think this is the case

What worries me is the back up plan, if they have even heard of such a thing