Hatem Ben Arfa

Guest sicko2ndbest

If you were to build a team around HBA what formation would you use?

Shola

HBA

Nolan

Jonas                Barton

Tiote

Perhaps replace Jonas with him and hoy Best in though. Obviously just need some strikers and a winger ideally.

So you think HBA is best suited to the VDV role at Tottenham. Was having the debate whether he was best suited to that role or a wide man in an Arsenal formation.

I'd stick him in alongside Tiote for certain games. Just let him dift from central midfield and attack if he wants to. In the two games he played for us he constantly dropped deep in a central position to get on the ball, so he sort of plays there naturally irrespective of what his position on paper is. Also, if he has lost any of his pace due to the leg break then he'd probably have to develop into a natural CM anyway, and exploit his ability to pick good passes.

I've never really properly studied the 4-2-3-1. What sort of role to the wide-men in the '3' have? Obviously they're not wingers as such but are they a bit too advanced to be considered 'wide midfielder' too? In theory it's a pretty dynamic set-up, but would Jonas and Barton fit into it?

I've never really properly studied the 4-2-3-1. What sort of role to the wide-men in the '3' have? Obviously they're not wingers as such but are they a bit too advanced to be considered 'wide midfielder' too? In theory it's a pretty dynamic set-up, but would Jonas and Barton fit into it?

Barton and Jonas wont fit in that formation as wide men, I can see Barton playing as one of the '2' only with alot more creative freedom. It also depends on the dynamics of the game but the wide men play as midfiled-cum-strikers when we are holding possession always looking to make runs in the channels between the full back and CD, as well as linking up with the lone striker, should realisitically be lookking t get 8-10 goals a season in that role. Jonas is too conventional a winger to be applied to that role, isnt a great finisher wich is a big problem.

Harper

Simpson Colo Willo Enrique

Barton Tiote

RW Ireland Ben Arfa

CF

Is close to perfect.

Barton and Jonas wont fit in that formation as wide men, I can see Barton playing as one of the '2' only with alot more creative freedom. It also depends on the dynamics of the game but the wide men play as midfiled-cum-strikers when we are holding possession always looking to make runs in the channels between the full back and CD, as well as linking up with the lone striker, should realisitically be lookking t get 8-10 goals a season in that role. Jonas is to conventional a winger to be applied to that role, isnt a great finisher wich is a big problem.

Harper

Barton Tiote

Payet Ireland Ben Arfa

CF

Is close to perfect.

Barton and Jonas wont fit in that formation as wide men, I can see Barton playing as one of the '2' only with alot more creative freedom. It also depends on the dynamics of the game but the wide men play as midfiled-cum-strikers when we are holding possession always looking to make runs in the channels between the full back and CD, as well as linking up with the lone striker, should realisitically be lookking t get 8-10 goals a season in that role. Jonas is too conventional a winger to be applied to that role, isnt a great finisher wich is a big problem.

Harper

Barton Tiote

RW Ireland Ben Arfa

CF

Is close to perfect.

Put Ireland on the right wing and Nolan into Ireland's position and I can see it actually happening.

:lol: But seriously, if we're going to challenge for the European spot next season, Nolan cannot be more than squad player (unless he gets in better shape). He's not movable enough, doesn't distribute the ball, leaving that task to Barton or Tiote.. It's thanks to the fantastic play of the latter that has made it possible for Nolan to stroll into the box and score goals. Remove Tiote, and Nolan's weaknesses will be much more obvious. We need an offensive midfielder with movement who's able to quickly distribute the ball to the side where the opponent is unbalanced. This will also make the job for our wingers much easier too. With Barton out, our wide men are always playing against a established defense. But with Barton on the right our team is unbalanced. So the best thing is to play Barton in central, and purchase a fast wide man. That will make both our wing play and Barton better.

:lol: But seriously, if we're going to challenge for the European spot next season, Nolan cannot be more than squad player (unless he gets in better shape). He's not movable enough, doesn't distribute the ball, leaving that task to Barton or Tiote.. It's thanks to the fantastic play of the latter that has made it possible for Nolan to stroll into the box and score goals. Remove Tiote, and Nolan's weaknesses will be much more obvious. We need an offensive midfielder with movement who's able to quickly distribute the ball to the side where the opponent is unbalanced. This will also make the job for our wingers much easier too. With Barton out, our wide men are always playing against a established defense. But with Barton on the right our team is unbalanced. So the best thing is to play Barton in central, and purchase a fast wide man. That will make both our wing play and Barton better.

Isn't that always the case with certain players? I mean, look at Inter (last year) for example - Sneijder could do what he wants behind the striker because he had defensive midfielders covering him.

Also, the thing is that we looked very good with Barton on the right, though. And the thing is that Barton didn't even look that good through the centre after having played at RW.

It's

Isn't that always the case with certain players? I mean, look at Inter (last year) for example - Sneijder could do what he wants behind the striker because he had defensive midfielders covering him.

Also, the thing is that we looked very good with Barton on the right, though. And the thing is that Barton didn't even look that good through the centre after having played at RW.

You misunderstand.  Tiote should cover defensively yes, so Nolan can take part in the offensive play. That's a normal division of labor. The problem is that Nolan on paper is an offensive CM,  but outside the box,  he's not contributing to the offensive play at all. This puts an extra strain on Tiote, because he must act both as a ball distributor and as a defensive anchor. A good example of this was against Bolton. Normally it's the offensive player (Nolan) that must take responsibility to distribute the ball when Barton is away, but that job fell on Tiote's shoulders. It was him that made the crossers because Nolan couldn't cope..

The only reason why this works, to some extent, is due to Tiote's extraordinary passing abilities. If we had a DM that was not able to pass the ball in the same manner, Nolan's absence in the offensive play would have been more revealing..

We are winning games because of our central midfield though.

Its all about the basics. Good defence. Possession. Assists. Goals. A good team spirit.

Nolan scores goals that win us games. He has been an outstanding captain, and he has helped the improvement of several younger players. He doesn't let us down in possession. He will lead by example when we try to defend. His presence in the box makes it easier for assists because he offers a goalscoring threat which gives space for other attackers to operate.

He does have his limitations but for as long as we have Tiote they are not an issue. Taking out Nolan will weaken a side that needs strenghtening in other areas. Ignoring Ben Arfa, Gosling and Ireland who would all practically be new signings next season, we can improve significantly in the goalkeeper centre back, left wing, striker and second striker positions. We also need better depth at full back, right wing, and central midfield.

I think we need a central distributor when we're up against better teams. Nolan doesn't have good enough tempo or passing ability. And his possession play is bad sometimes. We've been counterattacked because nolan was not able to keep the ball

Kind of ironic that he was flying in to town to force a move 9 months ago and now he is back training he is in France.  I know this will be an unpopular view and there are lots of counter arguments as propounded by Pards this week, but I see the relutance for him to come over/ us to have him here as a bad sign.  At the least him being here would get him assimilated better - often an excuse for a slow start in a new country is problems with language etc.  Next season will effectively be his first and that could have been avoided by having him here when he started any form of training again.