Hatem Ben Arfa

Guest sicko2ndbest

Pisser that his chance bounced off the post. From where I was sat, it looked a certain goal when he hit it.

I also thought in the first half, he could have taken a shot himself rather than play Ba in. It just seemed to open up nicely for him.

I reckon if it had been on his left he would have hit it.

Yeah, probably explains it. Ba should have buried it though. In games like that, you get a couple of chances and you can't afford to waste them.

Guest VaVaVoom

Pisser that his chance bounced off the post. From where I was sat, it looked a certain goal when he hit it.

I also thought in the first half, he could have taken a shot himself rather than play Ba in. It just seemed to open up nicely for him.

Yup...i thought that also but i guess it shows the he isnt greedy neither.

I hadn't realised quite how one footed he was until Saturday.  Was surprised when he passed to Ba until i realised it was on his right foot.

“I enjoyed playing with Hatem,” said Ba. “He is very talented but he is also a very clever player as well. He gave me the ball for my first chance, and I think me and him were probably the only people in the stadium expecting it. I feel like there is a good understanding there already.”

:naughty:

Ronaldo is going to be livid when he reads this.

I hadn't realised quite how one footed he was until Saturday.  Was surprised when he passed to Ba until i realised it was on his right foot.

Didn't he take the shot that hit the post with his right though?

“I enjoyed playing with Hatem,” said Ba. “He is very talented but he is also a very clever player as well. He gave me the ball for my first chance, and I think me and him were probably the only people in the stadium expecting it. I feel like there is a good understanding there already.”

:naughty:

Ronaldo is going to be livid when he reads this.

Ronaldo will dismiss this as Ba being wrong and not knowing what he is talking about.

Didn't he take the shot that hit the post with his right though?

He did - but it wasn't a very good shot.  If that had been on his left I think he would have buried it.  His body position for the shot that hit the post was all wrong.

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

Must be incredibly difficult- look how isolated they are! ;)

Interesting bit from Pardew in the Journal today

On Ben Arfa’s return, Pardew said: “Yes, he did some great stuff up front for us but look at his work at the other end.

“He works really, really hard and I said to him, ‘Coming into this team, the one thing the other players are wanting to see from you is energy,’ because that is what we have had all year.

“Every player who has come in has given me energy and he did give me that, and extra quality.

“Hopefully he can take us forward. Actually coming out of this game when we get everyone back, we could be a stronger side.”

For those who've doubted his defensive effort. I for one don't think that's a strong point of his but as long as he puts the effort in to close down and block passes then he's worth being on the pitch for what he offers going forward.

Guest tunisia

hello

Ben Arfa back slowly to his level. this is good news. still lacks automation, but it will come.

for those who say it does not run enough. in France they said the same thing until a journalist to calculate the number of miles he does, and he noticed qu'Hatem was among the players during the most.

He moves a lot, sometimes it seems to stop and make no effort, yet when he can and when he sees that it can generate the opponent he does. Unfortunately, he made ​​many mistakes, he can not defend.

if not to return to the game, it's a shame for the defeat but city is very strong and you were able to surprise without some errors or lack of success.

I love your defense, Coloccini is too good, it is important not to let him go:) Taylor is very good too. You're lucky to have these two players. the player who missed yesterday was Tiote.

it was a game that shows when you want you can compete with the best. many said that Newcastle was lucky to be third, but yesterday despite the defeat, you just unlucky.

good chance against United.

Just before Carroll was sold he said something along the lines of.. 'developing a real understanding with Arfa, almost psychic sometimes.'

Now Ba reckons only he and Arfa knew what was about to happen.

Common denominator Ben Arfa. Visionary.

:cheesy:

In the first half he was doing a lot of work to block passes from their centre backs to the midifield by getting across and not necessarily putting pressure on the man with the ball, but getting his body in the right position to block the pass. I thought he did that quite well and it isn't something I've seen him do before. Might be part of what Pardew is alluding to in those comments.

In the first half he was doing a lot of work to block passes from their centre backs to the midifield by getting across and not necessarily putting pressure on the man with the ball, but getting his body in the right position to block the pass. I thought he did that quite well and it isn't something I've seen him do before. Might be part of what Pardew is alluding to in those comments.

fwiw i've noticed him do it in pretty much every game he's played this season. it's a far cry from just not bothering to move at all when the other team have the ball, which some folk would have you believe is the case.

Really think he should start against Man U on Saturday. His performance against City was promising enough to warrant another start with Ba imo.

yup, from the highlights and listening to the match while he was out of it for long periods with City having so much of the ball when he had it he was very effective