La Liga - 10/11

Neil
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

People forget Mourinho's gameplan isn't just about winning points, it's about playing mind games that cause your opponents to drop points as well.

this - be interesting to see how guardiola handles it week in week out now - mourinho will think he has the upper hand after the CL with inter last season and i'd expect him to play on that when they meet

Hope Valencia don't struggle this year.  The parents live out there. Every time I've been over, they are always playing away or the season has finished. Over in September, and they are playing away, then at home the day I come back. Frigging typical.

Oh, and Mourinho is class, but can't see Barca not raping everyone now that they have Villa. Simply THE best strikers in the world at the moment (imo) and with that midfield of Barca's, will literally tear up La Liga.

Ok, for some non-Barça and Madrid related news, we have a big scandal brewing up.

Hércules president, Enrique Ortiz, is being investigated because of some real estate corruption (not terribly uncommon in that part of the country). However, after his phone was tapped by the authorities he was - unexpectedly - recorded bragging about how he fixed matches to guarantee Hércules' promotion.

Today one of our newspapers is publishing an extract where he talks about buying out Córdoba's goalkeeper for 100,000€ (Hércules played Córdoba in the last day of the season, and won 5-1 to clinch promotion). Apparently he's also suspected to have fixed matches against Salamanca, Girona and Recreativo.

Italy-tastic.

Hopefully Real, sick of Barca/Spain - players(/passengers) like Busquets shouldn't have the medals they currently have while other, better players don't!!

That said, it'll be a tough ask dethroning Barca with Real's current squad. Jose could just do it though.

Busquets is important to the way Barca play.

You just need to look at them 3/4 years ago when they had 3 midgets in midfield. The defensive midfielder/water carrier in the team is an important cog to the way they play even if Busquets is a horrible diving, playacting little runt.

Guest deporik

Have to admit that I'm not a Busquets fan and was pretty hacked off at his inclusion in the starting XI for Spain as the WC started. That job is important but he's not the strongest DM and you wont find many DM's who are so willing to go to ground. His body strength isn't particularly great and he can be outmuscled fairly easily and he gave the ball away more than I'd like.

However, I've got to say that he looked a hell of a lot better as the WC got going and I had to stop moaning about his inclusion after a couple of games. (Why Marchena found himself on the field rather than a donkey sanctuary though, remains a mystery.)

I think Busquets will continue to do fairly well in a side like Barca or Spain, who have so much posession but I'd like to see how he coped if he moved to a mid table side in la liga or anyone in the Premiership. I'd have doubts about him then for sure.

Busquets played every minute of the World Cup for Spain and he's cemented his position in the best club team in the world. Says it all tbh.

I don't know if he'd be as influential at a smaller club but for the specific role he plays at Barca, he's absolutely spot on. Not the strongest, not an archetypal physical defensive midfielder - but he's got a good passing range, is deceptively skillful, keeps things simple, allows others to get on with playing the game. More importantly though he's far more disciplined than Toure, and I think that's why Pep ultimately prefered him.

Defensive midfielders are always a strange part of football.

The name would suggest you need someone strong, hard-working and athletic to chase the ball down and protect the back four.

In reality, these guys are right at the point where most attacks tend to start. A good pass from a defensive midfielder can really make a counter-attack very dangerous. I tend to prefer players with a bit of vision and a good passing range.

The deep-lying playmaker is criminally underused in modern football. Players with decent passing to go along with their physical dominance really flourish in any environment (Essien is a fairly good example).

Yes, Touré's "problem" is that he tried to do too much. He bombed forward, tried to spray play... Busquets is far more quiet and limits himself to his job. If you look at set pieces, for example, he's always the only man that never attacks them. Puyol, Piqué... usually attack the box in turns, Busquets is always the last man, covering for them.

I think Touré would be a way better box-to-box player than just a DM, imho.

The name would suggest you need someone strong, hard-working and athletic to chase the ball down and protect the back four.

In reality, these guys are right at the point where most attacks tend to start. A good pass from a defensive midfielder can really make a counter-attack very dangerous. I tend to prefer players with a bit of vision and a good passing range.

The deep-lying playmaker is criminally underused in modern football.

That's a good observation.

I think that works in a 4-5-1 system with two holding midfielders. Madrid did that past season with the Diarra/Alonso pairing, for example (and they were a great counterattacking side). I presume ManU also tries that with Fletcher/Carrick but Carrick had a rather bad season.

One of the reasons Liverpool bombed so badly, imho, is how they replaced Alonso with Aquilani (who plays further up the pitch) and then played Mascherano/Lucas as holding mids. Not a ounce of creativity there.

I think that works in a 4-5-1 system with two holding midfielders. Madrid did that past season with the Diarra/Alonso pairing, for example. I presume ManU also tries that with Fletcher/Carrick but Carrick had a rather bad season.

One of the reasons Liverpool bombed so badly, imho, is how they replaced Alonso with Aquilani (who plays further up the pitch) and then played Mascherano/Lucas as holding mids. Not a ounce of creativity there.

That's a great example of my point actually. Cheers. If you have two players (Lucas and Mascherano) at the heart of the pitch you are really going to struggle to get any attacks going. One problem would be the attacking 'creative' midfielder dropping back to start off attacks, leaving an imbalance further up the pitch. For example Gerrard dropping deep and Torres getting crowded out.

Teams with an effective DM, say Chelsea, can allow the attacking players to stay up the pitch so when the ball gets to them they have more bite to the attack. I've always thought this was how Lampard is so effective for Chelsea, Essien can successfully play it out from the back and let Lampard focus on attack. Much like Busquets ----> Xavi/Iniesta ----> Messi/Ibra/Villa/Pedro.

Busquets played every minute of the World Cup for Spain and he's cemented his position in the best club team in the world. Says it all tbh.

I don't know if he'd be as influential at a smaller club but for the specific role he plays at Barca, he's absolutely spot on. Not the strongest, not an archetypal physical defensive midfielder - but he's got a good passing range, is deceptively skillful, keeps things simple, allows others to get on with playing the game. More importantly though he's far more disciplined than Toure, and I think that's why Pep ultimately prefered him.

Indeed, he does hide it fantastically ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P55HOKITrbM&feature=related

[Proper response forthcoming, off out! :)]

I think that works in a 4-5-1 system with two holding midfielders. Madrid did that past season with the Diarra/Alonso pairing, for example. I presume ManU also tries that with Fletcher/Carrick but Carrick had a rather bad season.

That's a great example of my point actually. Cheers. If you have two players (Lucas and Mascherano) at the heart of the pitch you are really going to struggle to get any attacks going. One problem would be the attacking 'creative' midfielder dropping back to start off attacks, leaving an imbalance further up the pitch. For example Gerrard dropping deep and Torres getting crowded out.

Teams with an effective DM, say Chelsea, can allow the attacking players to stay up the pitch so when the ball gets to them they have more bite to the attack. I've always thought this was how Lampard is so effective for Chelsea, Essien can successfully play it out from the back and let Lampard focus on attack. Much like Busquets ----> Xavi/Iniesta ----> Messi/Ibra/Villa/Pedro.

Agree with everything you've said tbh. That's the reason I don't see why Inter would be so interested in Masch as a Cambiasso - Masherano midfield partnership has the potential to split the team in two. Both are great defensively but neither can be the link between defence and attack, the strain it would place on Sneijder would really hold them back imo. Thiago Motta is not as good defensively as Mascherano but he's definitely a better footballer (Barcelona schooling) and he compliments Cambiasso well, he's no worldbeater but he slots into the team perfectly. If they're going to replace Motta they'd be better off with for example Banega or Schweinsteiger, players who fall into the defensive midfielder category but have a lot more to their game in a creative playmaker sense.

Busquets is a good player, though sometimes I feel like he lacks the physicality and tackling ability that you would really want in a DM. He a good distributor obviously, but I feel like he doesn't always when the ball enough or stop the opposition getting forward as much as many others average/world class players in his position.

Yes, Touré's "problem" is that he tried to do too much. He bombed forward, tried to spray play... Busquets is far more quiet and limits himself to his job. If you look at set pieces, for example, he's always the only man that never attacks them. Puyol, Piqué... usually attack the box in turns, Busquets is always the last man, covering for them.

I think Touré would be a way better box-to-box player than just a DM, imho.

Reminds me of Essien in that respect. Obviously has great physical tools for the position, but is like a caged animal when he plays there. He really has trouble overcoming his instincts to attack and participate up the pitch, this sometimes cost his teams as he is out of position. He has always looked more comfortable with conservative players like Makalele or Obi playing behind him.

Agree with everything you've said tbh. That's the reason I don't see why Inter would be so interested in Masch as a Cambiasso - Masherano midfield partnership has the potential to split the team in two. Both are great defensively but neither can be the link between defence and attack, the strain it would place on Sneijder would really hold them back imo. Thiago Motta is not as good defensively as Mascherano but he's definitely a better footballer (Barcelona schooling) and he compliments Cambiasso well, he's no worldbeater but he slots into the team perfectly. If they're going to replace Motta they'd be better off with for example Banega or Schweinsteiger, players who fall into the defensive midfielder category but have a lot more to their game in a creative playmaker sense.

Exactly, agreed. Plus, you could create triangles making it very easy to keep possession in the middle with the creative DM (say Schweinsteiger) playing the ball and pushing up;

Defence                                                       Attack

Schweinsteiger     Cambiasso                                Cambiasso

Sneijder                                       Schweinsteiger    Sneijder

It's so simple. It will be harder to do this with Mascherano or the likes though. Sneijder doesn't seem like the kind of player who would enjoy dropping deep.

Will be interesting to see how they set up. A lot of pressure on them as they are European Champions now.

So you see what preseason is really about: Messi has been forced to play today against a K-League team even though Guardiola had first said that he just wasn't ready yet (he's been training for just a couple days). The reason? A contract that states that Messi has to at least play 30min or Barça won't receive €2m for the friendly.

So you see what preseason is really about: Messi has been forced to play today against a K-League team even though Guardiola had first said that he just wasn't ready yet (he's been training for just a couple days). The reason? A contract that states that Messi has to at least play 30min or Barça won't receive €2m for the friendly.

be good for the lad, had a rest this summer at the world cup from what i could tell  :pow: