Aston Villa appoint Alex McLeish as new manager

Fenham Mag

His style at Liverpool was so defensive

That Uefa Cup semi final away at Barcelona.. :angry:

He must have told his entire team not to leave their own half the entire match.  The most defensive approach to a football match I've ever seen.

Worked for him, works for Mourinho.

He's a smart and very experienced manager. People are judging him solely based on his time at Liverpool but his career spans many, many more years and this will serve him well at Villa.

Despite the trophies, he left Liverpool with a sense of failure, as others have done before him. I think he fancies another crack at proving himself in the Premiership, but I suspect this is the wrong job at the wrong time.

Villa's situation reminds me of ours after '97. There had been a major investment (in our case to win the Premiership, in Villa's case to get into the CL) and we'd fallen just short. Money then became tight, the team had already peaked but expectations were still high. That's a very difficult situation for a manager to come into.

I don't know why everyone is getting on his back, he has a very decent CV and his Lyon side were a formidable team, especially the games they had against the "mighty" real madrid, a real team with great spirit and excellent counter attacking football...

He will take Villa back up the table for me. Needs to be able to spend something imo.

His style at Liverpool was so defensive, when they played at SJP in 2004 they ended up with Heskey left wing and Smicer up front on his own. He will still probably be decent for them with his experience.

Can't beat the 5-4-1 played by Rafa at SJP in his first season.

Excellent appoinment for villa, IMO.

He's experienced, knowledgable. He's managed in the premiership and did all right, he has an abundance of knowledge regarding young players, he's not afraid to venture outside the English market and his Lyon team played good football and played well in Europe.

He's a cut above o'neill and the likes of redknapp and moyes so if Lerner is patient, houllier, age and health related issues permitting, will be very good for them.

Is he fuck :lol:

Must be one of the most wasteful managers I can ever remember in the transfer market for a start.

This man would run him close...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/tyne/content/images/2005/09/20/graeme_souness_300x300.jpg

He's experienced, knowledgable. He's managed in the premiership and did all right, he has an abundance of knowledge regarding young players, he's not afraid to venture outside the English market and his Lyon team played good football and played well in Europe.

He's a cut above o'neill and the likes of redknapp and moyes so if Lerner is patient, houllier, age and health related issues permitting, will be very good for them.

Is he f*** :lol:

Must be one of the most wasteful managers I can ever remember in the transfer market for a start.

Depending on who/what you read that's a tad harsh. I doubt he bought any one he wanted.

Depending on who/what you read that's a tad harsh. I doubt he bought any one he wanted.

Sold who he wanted though, the cunt.

Sold who he wanted though, the c***.

True ^^

Interesting Kevin McDonald didn't want to take assistant manager job and has gone back to reserve team manager...

He clearly wasn't comfortable with this whole thing though.

The amount of times he said stuff like "I just need to sit down and work out whether I want to be considered for the job". If you aren't snapping their hands off then you obviously don't want to be a manager.

It was obvious he wasn't up for it.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/sep/11/gerard-houllier-aston-villa

So they've had a press conference but he hasn't actually signed anything yet can't start for two weeks at the earliest and three assistants have turned him down. Good start.

It sounds ridiculous. They really needed someone who could get in there right away and make their mark.

Curbishley's reputation seems to have been badly harmed by his spell at West Ham - quite unjustly. I felt he was the obvious choice.

From .com

Any thoughts?

Houllier confirms

Tyneside claims 

Having ended his six year exile from English football, newly-appointed Aston Villa boss Gerard Houllier has confirmed that he was on the shortlist to succeed Sam Allardyce at SJP in 2008.

But, as the 63 year-old admitted in an interview with "Inside World Football", "they took Kevin Keegan".   

Guest neesy111

From .com

Any thoughts?

Houllier confirms

Tyneside claims  

Having ended his six year exile from English football, newly-appointed Aston Villa boss Gerard Houllier has confirmed that he was on the shortlist to succeed Sam Allardyce at SJP in 2008.

But, as the 63 year-old admitted in an interview with "Inside World Football", "they took Kevin Keegan".   

Would of been better than who we appointed then.

Guest neesy111

How can you say that?

Because I always believed that Keegan came back for the money.

And Houllier was gonner work for free cos he loves the club so much?

Keegan was only interested in the money when he came  back, Houllier wanted to manage Newcastle as he wanted to be back in the premiership.

Guest Howaythetoon

KK didn't come back for the money, if money was his primary motivation he wouldn't have resigned, he came back because he was sold an idea by Ashley and co. which somewhere down the line was revealed to be a big fat lie. Houllier is a good manager so should do well at Villa but I can't see them reaching the CL under him as he falls short on that front plus the competition is too strong. BTW I would have had Houllier here in any capacity, although again, he will never represent a major step forward for any club with aspirations of challenging for CL footy and maybe title charges.

Guest neesy111

KK didn't come back for the money, if money was his primary motivation he wouldn't have resigned, he came back because he was sold an idea by Ashley and co. which somewhere down the line was revealed to be a big fat lie. Houllier is a good manager so should do well at Villa but I can't see them reaching the CL under him as he falls short on that front plus the competition is too strong. BTW I would have had Houllier here in any capacity, although again, he will never represent a major step forward for any club with aspirations of challenging for CL footy and maybe title charges.

Easy stab back, why did he try to claim over £10M in compensation then.  Also it was pretty well known his Soccer Circus business was going down the pan.