Aston Villa appoint Alex McLeish as new manager

Fenham Mag

Didn't MON leave as he was told to cut the wage bill?

Brummie probably can answer that best - but that's what was rumoured and was combined with MON allegedly being told that there was to be a tightening on funds to be made available for transfers.

Guest Birmingham1875

Didn't MON leave as he was told to cut the wage bill?

Brummie probably can answer that best - but that's what was rumoured and was combined with MON allegedly being told that there was to be a tightening on funds to be made available for transfers.

Lerner was displeased with MON shelling money on players such as Reo-Coker and Sidwell, who were barely good enough for the bench. Think he wanted rid of the deadwood before giving MON anymore money.

Weird. I wonder what they couldn't offer Martinez to convince him to leave Wigan. ???

Unless they just weren't impressed by him.

Sounds like he wanted to stay at Wigan, they've released a statement saying aphelion got offered a contract at the end of the season and agreed verbally and still wants to see that through.

Weird. I wonder what they couldn't offer Martinez to convince him to leave Wigan. ???

I still think manager's are being told sell before you buy...and even then it could be a case of being told to sell and not having the whole lot to spend. Seems weird Benitez and now Martinez would turn them down.

I still think manager's are being told sell before you buy...and even then it could be a case of being told to sell and not having the whole lot to spend. Seems weird Benitez and now Martinez would turn them down.

What makes you think that?

We spent the best part of 30m in the January transfer window, having been told by the media that we had no money all season up till that point.

The simple fact is, we asked for permission to speak to Martinez, Wigan said ok, Martinez had agreed verbally a new contract with them, and stuck to it.

Nobody else has turned us down, beyond that nonsense on SSN about Benitez the other day.