Accrington Stanley (a) in Carling Cup 2nd round

Fenham Mag

Citing training injuries is just daft. Everyone knows they can just happen for gods sake, its unnecessary games on top of it which any normal person can see increases the risk. For the record nobody mentioned them being tired so why use it in your post?

What's unnecerssary about the League Cup. It's a chance to win a trophy.

As for tiredness, it's one of the reasons people roll out when explaining why they palyed a vastly inferior team in a cup match. It's all a crock of s***. We should be putting out pretty much our best side in every game. Do people seriously not want us to have a bash at getting to the QF or SF in the League Cup?

If I turn up to a first team match I expect to see the first team. If I wanted to watch the reserves or youth I'd go to one of their games. You can come up with as many pansy reasons as you like, we shouldn't be resting players and that is that.

Couldn't disagree more.

Doesn't surprise me having seen your substitution policy for NOFC games.  :lol:

Citing training injuries is just daft. Everyone knows they can just happen for gods sake, its unnecessary games on top of it which any normal person can see increases the risk. For the record nobody mentioned them being tired so why use it in your post?

Unnecessary game? We play football to win things, not to just take part in a league. I don't fancy giving up our only chances of winning something, however small that chance is, just incase there is a chance a player might get injured. It shows a lack of ambition not to even try to win something.

No cup should ever be seeded, including Champions League imo.

I agree with that, seems daft.  The main thing knock-out competitions have going for them is the upsets and the idea anyone can win them, seeding them just means that it's pretty much always the same teams that win or nearly win the league every year, because they get an added advantage on top of the money and players that keep them at the top.

Also, how amazing would it be to get a group of Bayern, Barca, Inter and Arsenal.

Maybe not for fans of any team but for entertainment and how tense it would be, wow.

Guest Heneage

As for tiredness, it's one of the reasons people roll out when explaining why they palyed a vastly inferior team in a cup match. It's all a crock of s***. We should be putting out pretty much our best side in every game. Do people seriously not want us to have a bash at getting to the QF or SF in the League Cup?

If I turn up to a first team match I expect to see the first team. If I wanted to watch the reserves or youth I'd go to one of their games. You can come up with as many pansy reasons as you like, we shouldn't be resting players and that is that.

Couldn't disagree more.

Doesn't surprise me having seen your substitution policy for NOFC games. :lol:

Ha, yeah right, cos that's a good example. :colo:

I think cup games should involve the first team, but it should also allow for the inclusion of the younger players like Haris, Tavernier, and Krul/Foster. We don't have enough quality in our reserves and youths to field a full XI like Arsenal for example. Instead we need to give them a good test in a strong side to see how they work and gain a good well rounded assessment.

Also our first priority is league survival, I don't care how cliché it is. A potential freak injury (see Dyer against Bristol Rovers for West Ham) is not worth taking a risk over, just to please fans like yourself who 'expect to see the first team' and want a cup run.

Guest Roger Kint

Have you been reading something different to what i posted? You again use the tiredness excuse as though anyone else has mentioned it, nobody has rolled it out, its all you, the league is the priority, end of story thats not an excuse its a fact. It may be horrible for you to be watching our kids away to Brentford in a one off game but for most fans the prospect of Championship football again is far worse. We have a shockingly small and poor squad, to take any risks is madness at this time. So if treating the League Cup as unnecessary for a year is beyond you then tough.

Saying that you start off saying the League Cup is a chance to win a trophy then big up the fantastic acheivement of bombing out by the Qtr Finals(or Semis if we are lucky) excellent work...

If YOU turn up at a first team match that the manager has publically stated long in advance would be largely youth/reserve players then thats not me using pansy excuses thats your personal stupidity tbh.

Depends on the situation for me.

Injuries, form, fitness, moral and opposition all change my opinion on the sort of line up we should adopt in cup games. If we were playing Sunderland in the cup would people want us to play a weakened side? If we were playing Man Utd at Old Trafford should we risk our best players to injury?

It all depends on the scenario, ideally we will get some shite team at home, which would make our decisions far easier.

Guest Roger Kint

Injuries, form, fitness, moral and opposition all change my opinion on the sort of line up we should adopt in cup games. If we were playing Sunderland in the cup would people want us to play a weakened side? If we were playing Man Utd at Old Trafford should we risk our best players to injury?

It all depends on the scenario, ideally we will get some s**** team at home, which would make our decisions far easier.

Can fully accept that. Obviously there are times when you may need to as you say. This time however is likely to be 3 days before we play Wolves away, a game where even a point could be crucial by the end of the season. To suggest taking a full strength team to a Southern team in the Cup(should it happen) in this instance is never going to be worth a risk in my eyes.

I'd rather see Barcelona vs Inter in the last 8 or 4 than in the group stage, same as I'd rather not see average teams get through to get mullered in the latter stages

They played each other in both last season.

I'm all for non seeding thats what cup football is all about IMO. People wouldn't want the FA Cup seeded so why with Europe. I'd love to see a group of Barca, Chelsea, Inter and Bayern for example, it'd be boss.

Back on thread be nice for us to get Accy Stanley as they could do with the cash.

Have you been reading something different to what i posted? You again use the tiredness excuse as though anyone else has mentioned it, nobody has rolled it out, its all you, the league is the priority, end of story thats not an excuse its a fact. It may be horrible for you to be watching our kids away to Brentford in a one off game but for most fans the prospect of Championship football again is far worse. We have a shockingly small and poor squad, to take any risks is madness at this time. So if treating the League Cup as unnecessary for a year is beyond you then tough.

Saying that you start off saying the League Cup is a chance to win a trophy then big up the fantastic acheivement of bombing out by the Qtr Finals(or Semis if we are lucky) excellent work...

If YOU turn up at a first team match that the manager has publically stated long in advance would be largely youth/reserve players then thats not me using pansy excuses thats your personal stupidity tbh.

Again, I wasn't bringing up tiredness becasue somebody else did, I was adding it to the list of things people say when trying to justify playing a weakened team. Just becasue the league is the priority (a statement I wholeheartedlyagree with btw) doesn't mean we shouldn't play a strong side against whoever we draw in the League Cup. We treated the League Cup as unnessercary last year, I was hoping we could get back to normality this season. I'm under no illusions that the chance of winning it is small but does that mean we shouldn't try? I not sure if you are getting at me with that comment about a one off game, are you assuming I would only go to a game if it was round the corner from me?? If so then I can assure you are way off the mark.

This current obsession teams have with survival being everything and playing weaker teams in cup competitions is a cancer on football. If we went out for 38 league games and as many cup games as we can get through, giving everything and playing to our maximum ability, but still went down, I'd be ok with that. Upset, disappointed, gutted? Yes. But I'd feel a whole lot worse if we go down without bothering to try and have a successful season. Your attitude is exactly what the Premier League want of their fans. Nothing else matters but staying in 'the best league in the world'.

It all depends on the scenario, ideally we will get some s**** team at home, which would make our decisions far easier.

Can fully accept that. Obviously there are times when you may need to as you say. This time however is likely to be 3 days before we play Wolves away, a game where even a point could be crucial by the end of the season. To suggest taking a full strength team to a Southern team in the Cup(should it happen) in this instance is never going to be worth a risk in my eyes.

Would you feel different if it's a team based in the north? I'm not sure why it would make a difference if it's Huddersfield or Southend.

Guest Roger Kint

Didnt think i would have to explain that one off game remark. Its pretty obvious if we play the kids and lose it will ebnd up being one off.......not exactly rocket science. Thanks for pointing out your fan credentials though, it matter not one jot in my eyes if you go to all or no games.

You think i am what the Premier League wants? You can point to the 'best league in the world' bullshit all you like, my sole interest at present is our club being run properly, going down seriously hampers that so obviously its a concern to any fan. Any possible advantage to be gained from rotating the team in the League Cup is fine by my while we are in this position.

Guest Roger Kint

Would you feel different if it's a team based in the north? I'm not sure why it would make a difference if it's Huddersfield or Southend.

I couldnt give a shit if it was at home, am not sure why it confuses you. I was pointing out the obvious, a worst case scenario(if it happens) either way picking up any knocks or nigglies that close to an important game would not be worth the risk.

Do you really think us playing a full strength side in a league cup game in September is going to have that much effect on if we stay up or not in May?

Do you really think the club would implode if we went down again? The way I see it the board and management are being far more sensible than in previous seasons. For me that is going to make it less likely things will go wrong should we be relegated again. Obviously I want us to stay up but if we went down it wouldn't be the disaster it could have been last time or that many on here make out it could be. There is only room for 17 teams to stay up, if we aint good enough we'll go down and that's just the way football works and we'll have to deal with it the same as anybody else.

Guest JamesyJazz

Do you really think us playing a full strength side in a league cup game in September is going to have that much effect on if we stay up or not in May?

Do you really think the club would implode if we went down again? The way I see it the board and management are being far more sensible than in previous seasons. For me that is going to make it less likely things will go wrong should we be relegated again. Obviously I want us to stay up but if we went down it wouldn't be the disaster it could have been last time or that many on here make out it could be. There is only room for 17 teams to stay up, if we aint good enough we'll go down and that's just the way football works and we'll have to deal with it the same as anybody else.

What you say makes sense but I still enjoy a touch of excitement/flair/flamboyance within the team which imo we are sorely lacking.

Still I'm prepared to sacrifice that,reluctantly, for a couple of seasons if it means we stay in the Prem and build a team around stability and secure financial management.