Newcastle United v Aston Villa (the season starts here, maybe)

Ishmael

Harper

Perch  Colo  Williamson  Enrique

Routledge  Guthrie  Barton  Routledge

Carroll  Lovenkrands

Is what I'd play. Pretty much what most of us would have called our strongest line-up (disregarding injured players) last season, don't see why we should comprimise that by playing twats like Smith just because we're in the Prem now.

It's a home game ffs, we should just go for it.

Interesting tactic.  Routledge playing both flanks may just work.

Lovenkrands is an out and out poacher who'll only ever be effective when everyone around him is doing their job well. We can't really afford a player like that in the team.

Xisco deserves a chance. We know exactly what we'll get from Shola, Lovenkrands and Ranger, and it's sadly not good enough.

Lovenkrands is an out and out poacher who'll only ever be effective when everyone around him is doing their job well. We can't really afford a player like that in the team.

Xisco deserves a chance. We know exactly what we'll get from Shola, Lovenkrands and Ranger, and it's sadly not good enough.

Ranger deserves his chance before Xisco,  at least Nile has been scoring a few in his pre season games.  Xisco didn't want to be here and admitted he stopped playing to get a move away,  now he's back he should be at the back of the queue and have to work his socks off to even get a sniff of a game. 

Ranger deserves his chance before Xisco,  at least Nile has been scoring a few in his pre season games.   Xisco didn't want to be here and admitted he stopped playing to get a move away,  now he's back he should be at the back of the queue and have to work his socks off to even get a sniff of a game

He clearly has been, in that case.

I was at the Villa game on that dreaded day, sitting in the Holte End amongst the so called 'Hardcore' fans!

There were many songs directed at us and they took great pleasure in sending us down! It wasn't just 2 or 3 people. The favourite chant was probably - 'You're going down with the Baggies', which is understandable considering their rivalry.

The only thing Villa fans have against us is that they claim that we are not a big club because we haven't won anything is such a long time and they don't believe we deserve any hype at all. They should be getting all the coverage we often get because they are 'bigger' than us.

When you really get down to their hatred... that is what it is all about!

I'm driving up on the Sunday morning then driving back the same evening (which is going to be a killer) - I have a car full of Villa supporters, who will no doubt be reminding me of that day and how 's***' we are. I would absolutely LOVE IT, if we spent the 3 1/2 hour drive back to Birmingham with me gloating at them... but I really can't see that happening with our current squad. I'm hoping for a win obviously, but I think it will be a goaless draw or maybe a 1-1. If we lose it will be the worst 3 1/2 hour drive back ever!!! I'll probably end up going into the central reservation at some point out of sheer anger!

The fact I think he could do well alongside Carroll.

Shola is too similar (to Carroll) and Lovenkrands is far too limited.

Lovenkrands did well for us in his previous PL spell, especially at home and considering how poor the team was (8 games, 3 goals).

I was all for giving Xisco games after he arrived but this is two years later and all he's got to show for it is a handful of unimpressive reserve outings and a very poor loan spell in La Liga. Struggle to comprehend why you'd choose him ahead of a player like Lovenkrands who imo has a lot going for him. 21 starts, 16 goals last season speaks for itself even in the CCC.

Xisco is going to need game time because i am fucking fed up of having pathetic wasters like him, Geremi and Luque sitting in the reserves picking up a pay packet for doing fuck all work. He's committed himself to the club and deserves a shot when an opportunity arises. He's looked relatively promising and up for it in his fleeting appearances. With a manager that's actually behind him (stfu, now), we might actually see a Xisco that is interested in contributing to the club.

Ranger isn't ready, Best is injured, Nolan's shit, Shola's shit and definitely won't work with Carroll in this league - so i'd give him a shot.

But if Lovenkrands is fit i'd probably put him in first.

Ranger deserves his chance before Xisco,  at least Nile has been scoring a few in his pre season games.   Xisco didn't want to be here and admitted he stopped playing to get a move away,  now he's back he should be at the back of the queue and have to work his socks off to even get a sniff of a game

He clearly has been, in that case.

i was meaning more than just on the training ground,  i have witnessed him put in some of the most shameful non existant inept waste of a shirt appearances for the reserves in his last spell and i'd want to see him going out for the 2nd team and show the desire, fight and passion with him scoring goals before i'd even consider him getting a look in.

From what i've seen so far he's benefitted from the squad been so poor and no cover for Jonas as he's ended up getting back into the side as a left winger which isn't even his position.

So cos he didn't try two years ago, we should let him rot whilst picking up a gazillion a week, for doing nowt? Bollocks. If he's gonna give the same application as the rest of the squad, he's worth a chance now as much as anyone. We're hardly spoilt for choice in the 'quality strikers' department. I'd rather us take a punt and see if he's going to be actually worth something to us this season, rather than let another squad number waste a way.

If he gets a fair crack of the whip and is absolute shit, fair enough.

So cos he didn't try two years ago, we should let him rot whilst picking up a gazillion a week, for doing nowt? Bollocks. If he's gonna give the same application as the rest of the squad, he's worth a chance now as much as anyone. We're hardly spoilt for choice in the 'quality strikers' department. I'd rather us take a punt and see if he's going to be actually worth something to us this season, rather than let another squad number waste a way.

Trouble is we might not be able to afford to give him a "fair crack of the whip". We're going to need every point and every goal we can get.

If he gets a fair crack of the whip and is absolute s***, fair enough.

no if he's come back and is working as hard as the other players then he deserves a chance BUT because of what has happened previously he should be at the back of the queue and if there's a striking position up for grabs alongside Carroll then the likes of Lovenkrands(16 goals last season), Shola (best goals to game ratio last season) or Ranger who has scored 6 goals in the pre season games he's played should get there chance first,  if they don't take it then give Xisco a chance to prove himself.  Although i think i'd even give Airey a go before him.

What we absolutely cannot afford to do, is to give preference to senior players like Shola, Lovenkrands and Nolan who we all know are not cut out for this level.

yes but Xisco can't cut it at this level either!

If he gets a fair crack of the whip and is absolute s***, fair enough.

no if he's come back and is working as hard as the other players then he deserves a chance BUT because of what has happened previously he should be at the back of the queue and if there's a striking position up for grabs alongside Carroll then the likes of Lovenkrands(16 goals last season), Shola (best goals to game ratio last season) or Ranger who has scored 6 goals in the pre season games he's played should get there chance first,  if they don't take it then give Xisco a chance to prove himself.  Although i think i'd even give Airey a go before him.

You've obviously got it in for him.

Trouble is we might not be able to afford to give him a "fair crack of the whip". We're going to need every point and every goal we can get.

I'm totally on board with that, but he's as much of a punt as Ranger, Best and Shola will be in this division. Maybe less so - certainly in Ranger's case.

If Lovenkrands is fully fit i'd start him ahead of Xisco. But i'm fucking sick or players contributing absolutely nothing to the cause. They're just a complete blip on the squad. It can't be good for team morale.

Like i say, if he gets a fair opportunity and is horseshite, he can sling his hook. But, like i say, we're not lavishly presented with top-notch strikers. Far from it. We're going to need a squad this year - the teams that stay up need to have more players in their squad. It's thin on the ground as it is and we can't afford to be having players sat around doing fuck all.

And besides - he's looked like he's got an eye for goal. It sounds daft but we don't actually have a collection of strikers who'll knock it out of their feet and smack the thing. Carroll will do if it sits up perfectly and Shola's reasonable with his back to goal, he'll usually look for a shot. But it's all got to be very much on a plate for our strikers. The last two occassions i've seen Xisco, he's cut in and hit a shot from outside the area. Like i say, it sounds silly cos we scored a lot of goals last year - but it's true. Harewood was different when he came in, he'd take a touch and smack it but - if you think about it - it very happens infrequently with our current crop.

There's more reasons to give the guy a chance, than there are to let him rot.

The fact we've got to the stage where Xisco is being considered again. :facepalm:

We are definitely at that stage though - there's no hiding away from it. If we sign a good striker before the end of the window he'll be less important a squad member.

Guest GAMMELL

Fuck this, I'm actually going for a 2-0 win, our boys will be fired the fuck up for these manky bucket of cunts considering they condemned us to relegation 15 months ago. Little Chris will get the lads pumped, the players owe us a good performance Sunday.... COME ONNNNNNNNNNNNNN YIS PACK OF HUNGRY CUNTS!!!!!!!!!1