Cheick Tioté (1986-2017)

madras

Guest icemanblue

Think he's referring to Jose, Ino. We're lucky in a way that Tiote already has international recognition.

Ah, I was under the impression that the logic was those who haven't signed deals want to stay, whereas those that have do not. :lol:

So Colocho

If Barton and Enrique signed new contracts now would they be 'bad timing' as well ?!?

Of course because if someone comes in for them two weeks tomorrow for them we're fucked    lol :frantic:

Seem to have two fairly staunchly opposing camps forming over this news!

Personally, I think it's fantastic - committing a player of his calibre is just the pick-me-up we needed as a club - just as we are (internally and externally) questioned as to whether we are a selling club ready to cash in on our best assets this summer.

It is rather sad though, looking at the big picture, that the fan's trust in the regime has been so thoroughly battered that it questions whether this is just a ploy to plump up Tiote's price/encourage season ticket renewals before he is eventually sold - and while maybe such arguments should seem far-fetched, they're not ridiculous and not as easily dismissed as they should be.

Anyway, here's hoping to many years of Tiote dominating midfields for the Toon  :indi:

It's true that a new contract doesn't mean we can't or won't sell anyone, but if you can't take the positives from news like this then you might as well pack in because NUFC genuinely has nothing for you.

Exactly. I'm pretty confident now that Tiote will be here next season - I can't see any clubs paying too much over-the-odds for someone with the reputation of a "destroying" midfield player (even though he's more than that to us). If he is here next season then it is as good, to me, as any new signing, because I fully expected us to be replacing him with a lesser model.

Surprised at Dave's realism but can't fault either of these posts.

Colocho, what on earth...? It's depressingly obvious that you would be starting the witch-hunt, don't undo all of your good work with U4N by becoming a figure of fun. :undecided:

Guest NobbyOhNobby

Tiote is definitely more important than Enrique, in as much as a top holding midfielder is much more important than any fullback.

Would love to see Jose sign on the dotted line ASAP though, although as people have said he seems like he wants to either wait until we're safe or beyond that to see if we're buying anyone.

Still, tying up Tiote like this will encourage the other players to sign too.

Enrique and Barton will both wake up at 3am at some point before the end of the season with Tiote sat in a chair next to their bed with a contract in his hand for LESS money than they get now and they'll sign it due to Tiote-power

Great news.  He will feel wanted and rewarded and for the negative people on here, it pushes his value right up as well!

Comments coming from a number of players seriously need to be taken on board by Ashley.  With investment he can keep these players together and we move on to a new level.  This summer really is crucial.

Great news.  He will feel wanted and rewarded and for the negative people on here, it pushes his value right up as well!

Comments coming from a number of players seriously need to be taken on board by Ashley.  With investment he can keep these players together and we move on to a new level.  This summer really is crucial.

does that mean investing the carroll money or the club oweing ashley more than one hundred odd million that it already does ?

Sure, let's all get really excited about a key player, arguably our best signing a long-term contract. He's going to be here until he is 30!!!

Andy Carroll signed a 5 year contract in October 2010. He was sold in January 2011. Contracts mean fuck all in the modern game.

If they mean fuck all, then why does it matter whether he gets offered one now or in the summer?

By the time summer comes, the likes of Man City and Chelsea won't give a fuck that he signed a contract in February, as we saw with Carroll/Liverpool. At least if it was offered May/June it would have signalled that he was not available under any circumstances during that window.

On the other hand maybe they thought it wise to quell the speculation early, and get our best player concentrated on the job while the season still holds some promise.

Obviously, quelling your kind of speculation is impossible.

does that mean investing the carroll money or the club oweing ashley more than one hundred odd million that it already does ?

I think he will get his money back from a total sale of the club.  Its better for Ashley to get the club qualifying for europe on a regular basis would make us even more attractive to potential buyers.

This 35 million could be a spring board for the club wilst also resigning players like Barton, Nolan, Enrique, Jonas and Colo.

We have a good core that could be added to.

A club with 52 k fans, well run finances and playing in europe on a regular basis is far more attarctive then the shit Ashley picked up from the Halls and shepherds.

50k a week for him is cheap imo. So this is a good deal and yes we may still sell him but this contract will add value to him, which does two things, one is make clubs think twice about signing him, the other is if we do sell we get a lot more from him. So which ever way you look at this contract it is a good thing and though i can understand that NUFC can force a person to be pessimistic this is a good deal which atleast shows the club is trying.

Brilliant news.

Doesn't really change much, apart from the fact we would get more for him when we sell him.

He is a fantastic player, and is one of the best signings seen in the Premier League in recent years in my opinion.

He will be a Newcastle legend in my opinion.

Guest toonlass

Christ there's some miserable buggers on here. Just enjoy the fact that an excellent player has signed a long term contract with us and stop looking for negatives. I'm happy as a sand bug about this.

Great news, absolutely HUGE in fact. It ties a top class player down long term, shows a statement of intent to our other players (I certainly think this will be enough to convince Barton), and it protects us if other teams coming now because they'd have to pay top, top dollar now.