Cheick Tioté (1986-2017)

madras

Nolan has a player coming up behind him and would've been under the same pressure.

Coloccini had the ball facing away from his own goal and the onus was on him to deal with it or boot it into touch.  To give it to Tiote, under pressure, with his back to goal was stupid.  It didn't look like we could play it out at all to me, Bolton had about five men with a ten metre square, if that's when we should look to play short balls out of defence then I think we need to sign a couple of players from Barcelona.

I don't see anything wrong with playing the ball to Tiote at all and see nothing else open to Coloccini because he had Sturridge closing in on him which stopped him from playing it to Nolan who was in space.

http://img717.imageshack.us/img717/2286/boltongoal2.jpg

He could have booted it away?  We aren't good enough to play it out of defence all of the time.  Countless times we've cocked up doing it.  Tiote against Blackburn for one.  This time though was more to do with Coloccini taking the wrong option.

Coloccini could see what was in front of him, Tiote couldn't, that's why Coloccini should have taken a better option and that's why Tiote was solely at fault for the Blackburn goal.

Harper was caught with his weight on the wrong foot; the goal was down to Tiote, a top player should be able to take a ball like that and find his man - they do it all the time. Mortals like me may find it a bit tough at times but more often than not I'd fancy myself to have found Enrique.

Still love him but it was very poor play.

It's a rare error, but probably one that will reoccur at some point down the line due to the way he plays. He often drops deep looking for the ball then looks to either carry it or play it short, so it's inevitable that it will ultimately cause the loss of possession in a dangerous area occasionally. It's unfortunate that it was punished this time and against Blackburn.

Not just booting it away seems like an even worse decision looking at the photo.

Agreed. He should have been more cynical. Bolton is all about being aggressive around the opponent's box, winning the  ball back , crossing it back in. But they're suffering much more when playing against an established defense. Williamson was down, and for that reason alone, Colo should have booted the ball away. So, both Colo and Tiote are somewhat to blame for that goal. But again, it was very weak of Harper not grabbing that shot. I was astonished when I saw the ball in the back of the net. Sturridge had almost no space to finish.

Guest EastEndGeordie

Not just booting it away seems like an even worse decision looking at the photo.

Agreed. He should have been more cynical. Bolton is all about being aggressive around the opponent's box, winning the  ball back , crossing it back in. But they're suffering much more when playing against an established defense. Williamson was down, and for that reason alone, Colo should have booted the ball away. So, both Colo and Tiote are somewhat to blame for that goal. But again, it was very weak of Harper not grabbing that shot. I was astonished when I saw the ball in the back of the net. Sturridge had almost no space to finish.

This. It was such a weak shot he should have gathered it easily.

I thought at the time, and i still think now, that Coloccini should have just smashed it. When there's a cluster of players, in the middle of the park, about thirty yards out, you don't fucking tap the ball in amongst it. I really like how the mentality is to 'play it out of trouble', cos it retains possession and starts the basis of a more crafted attack. However, at times, you need to just get rid of the fucker. It's becoming a bit frustrating. It's not the first time we've conceded at home cos of dilly-dallying with the ball in our defensive third.

Guest EastEndGeordie

I thought at the time, and i still think now, that Coloccini should have just smashed it. When there's a cluster of players, in the middle of the park, about thirty yards out, you don't f***ing tap the ball in amongst it. I really like how the mentality is to 'play it out of trouble', cos it retains possession and starts the basis of a more crafted attack. However, at times, you need to just get rid of the f***er. It's becoming a bit frustrating. It's not the first time we've conceded at home cos of dilly-dallying with the ball in our defensive third.

Yep, really at that range he should've booted it down the pitch not try to play it when (by the looks of things) there was the the same amount of Bolton players as NUFC one in the half.

I thought at the time, and i still think now, that Coloccini should have just smashed it. When there's a cluster of players, in the middle of the park, about thirty yards out, you don't fucking tap the ball in amongst it. I really like how the mentality is to 'play it out of trouble', cos it retains possession and starts the basis of a more crafted attack. However, at times, you need to just get rid of the fucker. It's becoming a bit frustrating. It's not the first time we've conceded at home cos of dilly-dallying with the ball in our defensive third.

Aye, you would have thought we'd learnt from the Blackburn game :undecided:

Aye, you would have thought we'd learnt from the Blackburn game :undecided:

Absolutely. That's exactly what i thought as soon as it went in. Frustrating.

I thought at the time, and i still think now, that Coloccini should have just smashed it. When there's a cluster of players, in the middle of the park, about thirty yards out, you don't f***ing tap the ball in amongst it. I really like how the mentality is to 'play it out of trouble', cos it retains possession and starts the basis of a more crafted attack. However, at times, you need to just get rid of the f***er. It's becoming a bit frustrating. It's not the first time we've conceded at home cos of dilly-dallying with the ball in our defensive third.

:sadnod:

It's the cause of most of our 'defensive mistakes'

I like the desire to play from the back tbh. Once you start hoofing it, it's easy to get into the habit of taking the easy route every time you have the ball at the back. I'd rather take the risk of slipping a few goals while playing decent football, personally.

I like the desire to play from the back tbh. Once you start hoofing it, it's easy to get into the habit of taking the easy route every time you have the ball at the back. I'd rather take the risk of slipping a few goals while playing decent football, personally.

Surely it's just best to play which ever way fits the situation.  We shouldn't be stubborn to a philosophy, yesterday was an example when the ball should've been booted away.

Sure, but sometimes you just need to boot it - it's as simple as that. We shouldn't cut out the mentality altogether - that'd be stripping us of one of the best parts of our football. But doing it 100% of the time will lead to some suicidal moments. Like Blackburn and Bolton at SJP this season.

Surely it's just best to play which ever way fits the situation.  We shouldn't be stubborn to a philosophy, yesterday was an example when the ball should've been booted away.

Of course, but how often would Tiote actually lose the ball in that situation? The examples of that across the season have been so isolated that you could probably name each one off the top of your head... Thus to Coloccini it probably seemed a safe pass.

Of course, but how often would Tiote actually lose the ball in that situation? The examples of that across the season have been so isolated that you could probably name each one off the top of your head... Thus to Coloccini it probably seemed a safe pass.

When we play it out from the back and it works it’s fine, when it doesn't work we should have hoofed it.  I'd love to know how any of our players are supposed to knew if it's going to work or not.  We have to either accept that at times it will go wrong or we tell them to hoof it every time and give away possession more often than we currently do.

Personally, I’m willing to accept that every so often we’ll make a mistake but more often than not it will work to our advantage.

When we play it out from the back and it works its fine, when it doesn't work we should have hoofed it.  I'd love to know how any of our players are supposed to knew if it's going to work or not.  We have to either accept that at times it will go wrong or we tell them to hoof it every time and give away possession more often than we currently do.

Personally, Im willing to accept that every so often well make a mistake but more often than not it will work to our advantage.

Absolutely.

When we play it out from the back and it works its fine, when it doesn't work we should have hoofed it.  I'd love to know how any of our players are supposed to knew if it's going to work or not.  We have to either accept that at times it will go wrong or we tell them to hoof it every time and give away possession more often than we currently do.

Personally, Im willing to accept that every so often well make a mistake but more often than not it will work to our advantage.

Agreed. But when we play it out of defense, and it works 90% of the time, it's in the full-back position. That was bang centre, thirty yards from goal, with four Bolton players in and around the area. Common sense should have come into play and Colo should have just booted it.