Cheick Tioté (1986-2017)

madras

My early thoughts are the Tiote signing is very positive for us. Whoever scouted him and got him in needs a pat on the back. Looks solid, has and engine and can pass. For the money you can't really be asking for more. I hope people give him time to settle, the pace of the PL takes a few months to get used to.

Word has the Toon only have 2 scouts on the books, one of which is full time.  :undecided:

And his son's a fucking poofta!

:pow:

Guest neesy111

neesy man, do you not realise how s*** our midfielders are? Would you really advocate Smith playing 30+ games this season?

This is our most important signing because it's finally addressing the thing that sent us down in the first place!

Despite me slagging off the idea in your thread, any upgrade on Smith has to be a massive positive. :)

I agree on the upgrade, but it the lack of goals that sent us down really

Bollocks was it. It was the fact we had a midfield who neither kept the ball nor offered any ounce of protection to the back four.

Our defence was made out to be our weakness, when really they were the best players in the team.

Your fucking clueless! Goals cost us, our midfield scored around 7 goals all season when you should be around 15 off them!  is that why steven taylor 1 defender scored nearly as many as them all season then?  also the lack of fire power to our strikers also was a major factor

Our midfield was constantly over run because they didn't have any legs at all. If we put someone in there who had energy, could keep the ball and play the most basic of passes we would have stayed up. Obviously there were other problems but our midfield were bummed in the face all season.

I agree on this, but people just blaming the defense for us getting relegated is so naive about the amount of goals we scored that season!

we scored 24 home goals in 2008/09 is that good enough! no in my opinion

neesy man, do you not realise how s*** our midfielders are? Would you really advocate Smith playing 30+ games this season?

This is our most important signing because it's finally addressing the thing that sent us down in the first place!

Despite me slagging off the idea in your thread, any upgrade on Smith has to be a massive positive. :)

Bollocks was it. It was the fact we had a midfield who neither kept the ball nor offered any ounce of protection to the back four.

Our defence was made out to be our weakness, when really they were the best players in the team.

Your fucking clueless! Goals cost us, our midfield scored around 7 goals all season when you should be around 15 off them!  is that why steven taylor 1 defender scored nearly as many as them all season then?  also the lack of fire power to our strikers also was a major factor

Actually, Sewelly is spot on with this post.

Guest neesy111

Right I haven't said this guy is shit etc!  my point is that we have too many CM's/DM's (costing vast amounts in wages as well) and no cover for our two wingers!  this will equal to an in balance in our squad if it stays this way!

Guest neesy111

knew you would agree with him

Our midfield was constantly over run because they didn't have any legs at all. If we put someone in there who had energy, could keep the ball and play the most basic of passes we would have stayed up. Obviously there were other problems but our midfield were bummed in the face all season.

I agree on this, but people just blaming the defense for us getting relegated is so naive about the amount of goals we scored that season!

It's a horrific stat for sure. But if you watched the games closely our biggest problem was that we never got a hold of the ball in the right areas. Our midfield sat to deep due to their lack of mobility and strength. You can't play well as a defender when you've got your own teammates 2 metres in front of you all of the time. If you let the opposition play keep ball in their final third you suffer from it. And that is exactly what happened back then.

This signing would solve an ancient problem as far as our team goes. We really haven't had any mobile and tough CM's that could actually pass a ball since Acuna.

Guest neesy111

It's a horrific stat for sure. But if you watched the games closely our biggest problem was that we never got a hold of the ball in the right areas. Our midfield sat to deep due to their lack of mobility and strength. You can't play well as a defender when you've got your own teammates 2 metres in front of you all of the time. If you let the opposition play keep ball in their final third you suffer from it. And that is exactly what happened back then.

This signing would solve an ancient problem as far as our team goes. We really haven't had any mobile and tough CM's that could actually pass a ball since Acuna.

i agree on this, and like wise with a creative attacking player as well!

Yup.

It ended up with opposition midfields with the freedom to camp around our penalty area.

Your f***ing clueless! Goals cost us, our midfield scored around 7 goals all season when you should be around 15 off them!  is that why steven taylor 1 defender scored nearly as many as them all season then?  also the lack of fire power to our strikers also was a major factor

Wow ...  :lol:

No point discussing this any further after reading that.

I will say this though, Newcastle have been linked to a lot of winger/attacking mid/second striker types such as Jeremies Lens, Yannick Djalo, Mevlut Erding, Ben Arfa and Skjelbred (most of these links being made in the newspapers abroad like the Ben Arfa and Tiote news) so I do think this is a type of player being targetted and will hopefully be added to the squad.

No point having them if we can't get the ball and give it to them consistently though, and Tiote will be absolutely key to that.

i agree on this, and like wise with a creative attacking player as well!

But surely you must see that if we can get in a player such as Tiote that seems to be able to actually break up play and then pass the ball to one of our own players (something that Smith seems incapable of doing, other than giving it back to our CB and thus putting even more pressure on them) it must be a good thing.

By having a player such as Tiote that actually seems to have the stamina and mobility to get up in to a pressing position you automatically make some room and space for our more creative CM's such as Barton and Guthrie to actually do something with the ball.

Paul Fraser from the Echo isn't happy. Says it's an 'absolute joke' if true as he had an article written for the Echo on Wednesday morning but the club said there was no interest so he rewrote it. :lol:

Guest neesy111

But surely you must see that if we can get in a player such as Tiote that seems to be able to actually break up play and then pass the ball to one of our own players (something that Smith seems incapable of doing, other than giving it back to our CB and thus putting even more pressure on them) it must be a good thing.

By having a player such as Tiote that actually seems to have the stamina and mobility to get up in to a pressing position you automatically make some room and space for our more creative CM's such as Barton and Guthrie to actually do something with the ball.

i haven't disagreed with what you said before, but guthrie and barton give away the ball far too often by especially in barton's case trying the killer ball too often, instead of going for the simple pass, that is very likely still to happen with or without this guy!  the strikers need good service especially if we're not signing another striker

i haven't disagreed with what you said before, but guthrie and barton give away the ball far too often by especially in barton's case trying the killer ball too often, instead of going for the simple pass, that is very likely still to happen with or without this guy!  the strikers need good service especially if we're not signing another striker

Giving away the ball comes a lot from them being tired due to having to do Smith's work as well. Neither Barton nor Guthrie are spectacular athletes in any way but if we could give them a midfield partner that is able to do the work of a true DM we will both save them some defensive work and give them more time and space to do what they do best.

Which incidentally is giving support to the striker/s and wingers. In Barton's case that would be making late runs towards the opposition's area and spreading the play. In Guthrie's case, as he's more of a deep lying playmaker it would mean more time and space to give the ball to the wingers and striker/s.

Nobodys under any illusion that we need a better strikeforce but to suggest we don't need a good defensive midfielder is daft.

If we are to create chances, then we need possession, this guy should help us in that area.

Paul Fraser from the Echo isn't happy. Says it's an 'absolute joke' if true as he had an article written for the Echo on Wednesday morning but the club said there was no interest so he rewrote it. :lol:

ain't the first time the club hasn't exactly honest about a transfer, don't think anyone has even admitted to interest in barfa

Guest neesy111

I'm guessing that this thread is one of two things, which have a different viewpoint to myself:

• People happy that we might be signing a player, (i'm skeptical after the ben arfa fiasco until the player has signed and on nufc.co.uk)

• Myself considering their to be bigger priorities in the squad with the limited resources we have

This guy sounds completely different to anything we have and he will get the best out of Guthrie, Barton or Nolan as they will have the freedom to do what they do best. They don't have this freedom with any partner available to them at the moment.

Guest neesy111

Nobodys under any illusion that we need a better strikeforce but to suggest we don't need a good defensive midfielder is daft.

If we are to create chances, then we need possession, this guy should help us in that area.

i do not disagree with this either, but what happens if we only sign this guy, then I bet some people start moaning that we should of spent it on a player in a different position

What harm could it have possibly done if other clubs looking to sign him were made aware of our interest? ;)

Anything confirmed on this? I thought we weren't spending any money.

i do not disagree with this either, but what happens if we only sign this guy, then I bet some people start moaning that we should of spent it on a player in a different position

People would probably be doing the same if we only signed Ben Arfa and our midfield continued to be overrun, they would be right to aswell.