Cheick Tioté (1986-2017)

madras

Guest firetotheworks

But surely you must see that if we can get in a player such as Tiote that seems to be able to actually break up play and then pass the ball to one of our own players (something that Smith seems incapable of doing, other than giving it back to our CB and thus putting even more pressure on them) it must be a good thing.

By having a player such as Tiote that actually seems to have the stamina and mobility to get up in to a pressing position you automatically make some room and space for our more creative CM's such as Barton and Guthrie to actually do something with the ball.

i haven't disagreed with what you said before, but guthrie and barton give away the ball far too often by especially in barton's case trying the killer ball too often, instead of going for the simple pass, that is very likely still to happen with or without this guy! the strikers need good service especially if we're not signing another striker

Giving away the ball comes a lot from them being tired due to having to do Smith's work as well. Neither Barton nor Guthrie are spectacular athletes in any way but if we could give them a midfield partner that is able to do the work of a true DM we will both save them some defensive work and give them more time and space to do what they do best.

Which incidentally is giving support to the striker/s and wingers. In Barton's case that would be making late runs towards the opposition's area and spreading the play. In Guthrie's case, as he's more of a deep lying playmaker it would mean more time and space to give the ball to the wingers and striker/s.

As much as I think the Barton love-in on here is mostly unfounded. I agree with all of this.

If Guthrie could just be a bit faster, and a bit stronger, it'd go a long, long way towards him being a very, very good midfielder imo.

Guest neesy111

Paul Fraser from the Echo isn't happy. Says it's an 'absolute joke' if true as he had an article written for the Echo on Wednesday morning but the club said there was no interest so he rewrote it. :lol:

What harm could it have possibly done if other clubs looking to sign him were made aware of our interest? ;)

Anything confirmed on this? I thought we weren't spending any money.

Nothing confirmed, some people have got a little too excited by the reports from the Netherlands about this!  people should take warning after the Ben Arfa stuff!

Guest neesy111

Another question, is hughton planning on selling one of his midfielders then?

Smith will be the one to go I think. And rightly so.

finding a buyer maybe a problem then

Guest neesy111

Nobodys under any illusion that we need a better strikeforce but to suggest we don't need a good defensive midfielder is daft.

If we are to create chances, then we need possession, this guy should help us in that area.

i do not disagree with this either, but what happens if we only sign this guy, then I bet some people start moaning that we should of spent it on a player in a different position

People would probably be doing the same if we only signed Ben Arfa and our midfield continued to be overrun, they would be right to aswell.

your right, so it depend's on what viewpoint you look at the situation then

Nobodys under any illusion that we need a better strikeforce but to suggest we don't need a good defensive midfielder is daft.

If we are to create chances, then we need possession, this guy should help us in that area.

i do not disagree with this either, but what happens if we only sign this guy, then I bet some people start moaning that we should of spent it on a player in a different position

If and when that happens then it will be discussed then. Why are you in a hurry to moan about it now?! Just 24 hours ago people were 100% certain we wouldn't be bringin any players in and Hughton was a puppet who was being dictated too by Ashley etc etc etc. Just take it easy.

Guest neesy111

If and when that happens then it will be discussed then. Why are you in a hurry to moan about it now?! Just 24 hours ago people were 100% certain we wouldn't be bringin any players in and Hughton was a puppet who was being dictated too by Ashley etc etc etc. Just take it easy.

I wish I could!

We have 10 days of the transfer window yet, and sadly I don't trust this club anymore after the fiasco's we've had in the last few years

Paul Fraser from the Echo isn't happy. Says it's an 'absolute joke' if true as he had an article written for the Echo on Wednesday morning but the club said there was no interest so he rewrote it. :lol:

What harm could it have possibly done if other clubs looking to sign him were made aware of our interest? ;)

I think it's more likely he was scared of getting one of those letters. ;)

As far as confirmation goes, nowt really. But it was reported in detail and in a very 'matter of fact' fashion on the local Twente newspaper's website last night so I reckon it's a goer.

Guest neesy111

Another question, is hughton planning on selling one of his midfielders then?

Smith will be the one to go I think. And rightly so.

finding a buyer maybe a problem then

Isn't Big Sam getting a pot of cash soon.

hopefully

As far as confirmation goes, nowt really. But it was reported in detail and in a very 'matter of fact' fashion on the local Twente newspaper's website last night so I reckon it's a goer.

I think the deal is definitely done. I hope there are no issues with the work permit.

I think the deal is definitely done. I hope there are no issues with the work permit.

What are the current regs on work permits?

What are the current regs on work permits?

http://www.newcastle-online.org/nufcforum/index.php/topic,70930.msg2468176.html#msg2468176

Whether Hughton wants him to go may be out of his hands. Maybe Ashley is willing to go over the wage limit for Ben Arfa, as long as one of Smith or Barton goes. Which I'd be fine with tbh.

By the way, how do we pronounce Tiote?

Tee-oh-tay, Tee-ot, Tee-oh-ty, Tee-oat......