Cheick Tioté (1986-2017)

madras

I bought tickets for the West Brom game, coming down hundreds of miles and I really hoped to see this guy. Bit gutted. He is our most important player though I think so I can see the logic in the decision. Pardew will be desperate to start the season well too since it his first 'proper' season in charge.

Nee offence intended but everyone should know what to expect the last two/three games of the season.

The games are shit and players are rested.

Nee offence intended but everyone should know what to expect the last two/three games of the season.

The games are s*** and players are rested.

We're 2 points off 8th spot, Chelsea are on a downer after missing out on the title and I'd have fancied Tiote to win the midfield battle there. Understandable to keep Nolan out to get an operation because that's injury related but to keep a player out because you're scared he'll be suspended is terrible imo.

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

I'd much rather have him available for next season. Typical defeat at Chelsea and we'll get a draw at home to 'Brom, as Jonny says- the games are shit.

The games are s*** and players are rested.

We're 2 points off 8th spot, Chelsea are on a downer after missing out on the title and I'd have fancied Tiote to win the midfield battle there. Understandable to keep Nolan out to get an operation because that's injury related but to keep a player out because you're scared he'll be suspended is terrible imo.

That'll be because he risked Tiote in the cup game at Stevenage and got absolutely slated for it when he ended up getting sent off and suspended, and he refuses to take the same risk again.

Like I said earlier in this thread, I'd like a really strong start to next season and our chances are better with him in the side. It'd be madness to play him when he's a booking away from a three-game suspension. That could ruin our start to the next campaign, which is more important - this season has been about surviving.

And its not like we stood a chance at Chelsea anyway.

It's disappointing still. It's not like we're resting him from a Cup Final, it's for a 38 game season!

This season him having two good games was probably our chance of pushing for a top 10 finish, next season we'll have Ben Arfa, Gosling, etc plus hopefully some new signings in the first team to make his importance to the side not as critical.

And if we're this reliant on Tiote next season as much as this then head's want to roll for a w*** transfer window.

But we're not resting him. We're protecting him, and our chances next season. For me:

Having Tiote for the opening three games next season > Winning the last two games.

No doubt about it in my mind.

But we're not resting him. We're protecting him, and our chances next season. For me:

Having Tiote for the opening three games next season > Winning the last two games.

No doubt about it in my mind.

Why? Next season our aim will be top 8 I guess, this season with Tiote we could do that still.

It's not one of the other either, push for high as we can, get some new signings, and push higher again.

Because to finish 8th we realistically need 6 points out of 6, and that wouldn't happen with or without Tiote, because the problem is scoring away from home.

Finishing in mid-table/top ten is a tremendous achievement for us after what's gone on this past couple of years. You would actually risk losing Tiote for three games to rise a couple of places in the league? It's crazy talk.

Guest sicko2ndbest

I'm with jonny on this one

We risk him not playing until September. A good start breeds confidence and with him in the side the chances of us achieving that increase substantially.

A top 10 finish is great but apart from money it does very little else.

Pardew has made the sensible call. Tiote knew what he had to do and couldn't do it. This sends him a clear message that he has to be smarter when in a precarious situation

As I said, if we're shitting ourselves at the prospect of losing him for 3 games come August then Pardew and the board need shooting for not strengthening the squad so that we can cover for it next season.

I doubt very much that we'll be bringing in anybody as good as Tiote in his position, we might as well save him and start with our strongest 11.  New players will have to learn to play together so it makes sense to make sure he's playing the first three games.

As I said, if we're shitting ourselves at the prospect of losing him for 3 games come August then Pardew and the board need shooting for not strengthening the squad so that we can cover for it next season.

Of course, but I still wouldn't want to lose him for three games regardless of cover.

If we were fighting for European place or whatever then yeah I would. But not for the sake of a couple of league places.

http://www.journallive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2011/05/14/cheik-tiote-has-to-change-his-ways-pardew-61634-28692379/

Cheik Tiote has to change his ways - Pardew

by Luke Edwards, The Journal

May 14 2011

ALAN Pardew hopes Cheik Tiote’s premature end to his first season at Newcastle United will help him understand why he has to change if he is to make the most of his second, writes LUKE EDWARDS.

Tiote will not travel with the rest of the squad to London tomorrow, as even the absence of skipper Kevin Nolan, who had an operation on his ankle this week, could not persuade Pardew to risk him against Chelsea.

With 14 bookings this season, another yellow card in the remaining two games would mean he would automatically miss the start of next term through suspension, and his manager is determined to make sure he improves in this area.

The United boss has denied he will risk blunting the Ivory Coast international’s impact in the centre of midfield and will not look to make him any less combative.

However, he does want to stop the former FC Twente star picking up unnecessary cards for tackles he does not need to make.

“I’m not going to change his game, it’s not about that,” said Pardew, when asked whether he was in danger of damaging the player by asking him to think too much before he tackles.

“It’s not about changing his attitude or his approach to the game. With the experience he has got this year, we can teach him not to get involved sometimes. Why make a challenge there? Why not jockey him?

“With his great speed he doesn’t sometimes need to go into a challenge, it’s just little adjustments that could make a big difference next season.

“I had a chat with Steve McClaren about him and he was highly competitive in Holland, but I don’t think he had issues with suspensions.”

Tiote’s absence will be acutely felt at Stamford Bridge, particularly as Newcastle are struggling to find a ready-made replacement in the centre of midfield, with only one senior player, Joey Barton, used to playing there.

Even he has spent most of the campaign playing wide on the right, and the selection headache has focused Pardew’s mind on the changes that need to occur.

He added: “I think the player’s reaction when he got booked last weekend said it all really and that was the same reaction I had. I was desperate for him to get through these three games without picking up a booking, just to see if he could do it. He needs to learn.

“I thought he was so unlucky against Birmingham because it wasn’t a bad challenge.

“It’s not acceptable for him to miss so many games because of suspensions. We are going to talk about it and we are going to work on it.

“We’re going to modify how he responds to certain situations. Some of those bookings could be avoided.”

As ever, Pardew was quizzed on transfer progress at his pre-match press conference, as well as whether a breakthrough was imminent in the contract stand-offs with Jose Enrique, Barton and Nolan.

The former Crystal Palace midfielder remains confident the types of players he wants will arrive on Tyneside in the summer.

But The Journal understands several of their top targets have already turned United down, forcing the Magpies to look further down their wanted list even before the transfer window opens.

French reports linked them with a move for Bordeaux’s 6ft 7ins Mali international Cheick Diabate.

Click here to find out more!

“I can report there is nothing imminent in terms of contract talks,” said Pardew. “In terms of transfers, it’s gone ok so far.

“We’ve got a good handle on the players who are going to become available. I like to think we’re definitely in a better position than last year.

“Forget about the finance, just in terms of the preparation work we have put in – we know the players who are going to be available. We’ve got more information, we’re better off than last year.

“It’s all our scouting team and our coaching team, who feed into Graham Carr and ultimately to me. I then go to Derek (Llambias) and ask for the financial side of the deal and whether it is going to work.

“You can target good players, but unless you can pay for them, there is no point. We have to get that part right as well.

“There is better value abroad, our market is over-priced. Are they more talented? In some cases.

“You have to decide whether you want to enter the market here or abroad, but it depends on the players more than anything.

I think this shows Pardew has learned from the mistake he made when he threw him on at Stevenage.

I fucking hope so! That was a criminal mistake considering where he is at in his management career.