Cheick Tioté (1986-2017)

madras

Should just fax them this...

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g26/pickleman77/th_yao-ming-meme.jpg

:lol:

We should respond to all our emails with rage comic faces tbf.

Mike's response to Liverpool's 35 million pound bid for Andy Carroll:

http://files.sharenator.com/Aww_Yeah_meme_Meme_Faces_s250x196_156976_580_resurrection_s250x196_170614_580_resurrection-s250x196-170626-535.png

14m, 40m, means nothing to the fans if its not spent on the team.  Hope we can hold on to him until January.

Be interesting to see the excuse machine if he does go, wasn't one of the reasons the Carroll money vanished because it was supposedly to pay for new deals for Enrique and Tiote?

As shambolic as it was back then, if we sell Tiote for a massive profit like that, I highly doubt that it won't be spent purely on bringing in players. Since the Carroll money was needed to beef up contracts for new players and existing ones, I reckon a big sale like that, especially in this window will be spent even before it is received (a la Liverpool with selling Torres and buying Carroll).

Would we bring in someone better than Tiote? Because that's all that matters.

The answer IMO is no, quite clearly.

after bringing myself round after the (expected) disappointment of the summer activity, and now being positive because the football's actually started, if tiote went i'd probably be reduced to tears.

and that post above about doubting it wont be spent purely on players, breathtaking.

14m, 40m, means nothing to the fans if its not spent on the team.  Hope we can hold on to him until January.

Be interesting to see the excuse machine if he does go, wasn't one of the reasons the Carroll money vanished because it was supposedly to pay for new deals for Enrique and Tiote?

As shambolic as it was back then, if we sell Tiote for a massive profit like that, I highly doubt that it won't be spent purely on bringing in players. Since the Carroll money was needed to beef up contracts for new players and existing ones, I reckon a big sale like that, especially in this window will be spent even before it is received (a la Liverpool with selling Torres and buying Carroll).

Would we bring in someone better than Tiote? Because that's all that matters.

The answer IMO is no, quite clearly.

Does that depend on transfer fees though? Say we sold Barton last summer for 8m, and replaced him with Tiote who we signed for 3 odd million, does that mean we bought someone better? If it is spent on an unknown quantity, we wont really be sure until we see them play. Tiote may have turned out a big flop, keeping in mind it was a low transfer fee, and he was used mainly as a sub in a title winning team in a 2nd rate European league.

With Tiote we got lucky. I can't understand how people are so confident we'll be able to do it again, let alone keep doing it. Especially when everyone knows we've got a fuckload of cash from previous sales.

after bringing myself round after the (expected) disappointment of the summer activity, and now being positive because the football's actually started, if tiote went i'd probably be reduced to tears.

and that post above about doubting it wont be spent purely on players, breathtaking.

Man up ffs! :lol:

I'm just trying to be realistic. If a massive bid came in for Tiote from the current champions, would we take it? I don't think we'd sell for peanuts. And if we did, I'm pretty sure we'd spend it right away on a replacement, as he's pretty much our only defensive minded midfielder.

(I know I know, I can even see the hypocrisy in being realistic and hoping the money will be spent on a replacement :lol:)

I'm just trying to be realistic. If a massive bid came in for Carroll from one of the biggest clubs in England, would we take it? I don't think we'd sell for peanuts. And if we did, I'm pretty sure we'd spend it right away on a replacement, as he's pretty much our only decent striker.

Six months later...

With Tiote we got lucky. I can't understand how people are so confident we'll be able to do it again, let alone keep doing it. Especially when everyone knows we've got a fuckload of cash from previous sales.

We got VERY lucky! Buying a player for under 4m and selling him on for 20m plus, a season later, is no small feat. I'm just hoping, that for the sake of this football club, the owners know that the closer we get to balancing the books, the more we should be comfortable in spending hard cash to bring in quality. End of the day, as long as NUFC is out on the pitch, nothing else will matter.

I'm just trying to be realistic. If a massive bid came in for Carroll from one of the biggest clubs in England, would we take it? I don't think we'd sell for peanuts. And if we did, I'm pretty sure we'd spend it right away on a replacement, as he's pretty much our only decent striker.

Six months later...

absolutely. it's a bit different now though as we haven't just been promoted, having lost a lot of TV revenue etc... It's our 2nd season back, and we're on a better financial footing than we were in January.

Not defending the regime by any means. just saying looking at it from their point of view (which they claim is a business point of view) it would be easier to spend any Tiote money than it was last season.

That seems pretty harsh to say we simply got lucky. He's quite possibly, over 4 years, the most heavily scouted signing we've ever made.

We got VERY lucky! Buying a player for under 4m and selling him on for 20m plus, a season later, is no small feat.

Might turn out we've been very unlucky, if he wasn't quite as good we'd have more of a chance of having him actually play football for us than being a financial asset,  In a similar manner, Ben Arfa's injury record might be a blessing in disguise because we might actually get some games out of him.  If he'd been fit since he got here it's perfectly possible he might not be here at all.  Welcome to the upside down world of supporting Mike Ashley's Newcastle United.

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

If Tiote is sold I can't wait to hear what Pardew has to say about it.  :angry:

"When you're in the position we're in, you just can't compete with the big clubs. You are vulnerable."

Not defending the regime by any means. just saying looking at it from their point of view (which they claim is a business point of view) it would be easier to spend any Tiote money than it was last season.

All I can see happening is we go looking for players with a desperate hole in our midfield and a big bag of Carroll/Tiote money and people aren't willing to sell to us for below market value, the board won't buy unless they think they're getting a good deal and we can add defensive midfielder to striker and left back on the Newcastle understaffed bingo card.  A monster fee could be bad for the club in footballing terms.

"When you're in the position we're in, you just can't compete with the big clubs. You are vulnerable."

True, we should probably just give up and become a feeder club for Man City.

There are clubs out there owned by sovereign states, we can't compete with that (Ignoring the fact we didn't sell him to Man City, nor does anyone expect us to compete with them)

'You can't keep an unhappy player who's head has been turned.'

And he'd be right. Doesn't alter my opinion that this report, just like with Colo, is complete and utter turd.

Why are we even discussing this? It's from caughtoffside. It's essentially one guy with a blog. He hasn't got any story right yet (that he's broken).

Because we've shown we're willing to sell crucial players without replacement, that our transfer policy revolves around resale value, he's quadrupled in value since we bought him, Man United need a defensive midfielder and possibly the only thing which has prevented him going to their rivals is a dislike of London, we've sold our best players around him and stranded him in Ghana in a staggering display of incompetence...

Even if it's a rumour that's been pulled out of someone's ass, it's not hard to see why it pushes the right buttons.

Why are we even discussing this? It's from caughtoffside. It's essentially one guy with a blog. He hasn't got any story right yet (that he's broken).

Because we've shown we're willing to sell crucial players without replacement, that our transfer policy revolves around resale value, he's quadrupled in value since we bought him, Man United need a defensive midfielder and possibly the only thing which has prevented him going to their rivals is a dislike of London, we've sold our best players around him and stranded him in Ghana in a staggering display of incompetence...

Even if it's a rumour that's been pulled out of someone's ass, it's not hard to see why it pushes the right buttons.

Hopefully there will be nothing in this but I remember how the initial Liverpool bid for Carroll was received on this board, 'he'll never leave', 'we will never sell him etc', 'complete load of bollocks' blah blah.

As the story gathered pace and was reported in more outlets this board was swamped it became obvious there was something in it. By the end of the day he was gone. :(

He'll be off next summer either way tbh, if the top clubs aren't sure now they'll be happy to wait and see if he picks up as many suspensions this year and if he can perform as impressively in his second season. And if he does, the fee will be higher which suits Ashley down to the ground.

I'll enjoy him this season if he's still here, but there's no point looking beyond that IMO. Depressing, but fuck it.