Cheick Tioté (1986-2017)

madras

Tiote should stick to winning the ball back cleanly and passing ASAP to someone else over a short space. It really is back to basics for him, but muppets in the crowd want him to be this all action hero taking everything on including long range shooting which would even give Rob Lee nightmares.

Guest icemanblue

When the situation calls for what? Tioté trying to make daft passes that he's not capable of? I don't think such a situation ever arises. Especially when Cabaye and Sissoko are on the pitch next to him.

That's a pretty basic understanding of the game, like. So, when under pressure, with Cabaye marked (I'll ignore your suggestion of Sissoko as he's playing further forward and this would be a daft ambitious pass), what's he meant to do? Play it backwards to the defence or keeper, putting them under pressure, every time? Even if the ball forward has a chance of reaching the winger/striker/Sissoko? I'd expect him to try the forward ball myself.

When the situation calls for what? Tioté trying to make daft passes that he's not capable of? I don't think such a situation ever arises. Especially when Cabaye and Sissoko are on the pitch next to him.

That's a pretty basic understanding of the game, like. So, when under pressure, with Cabaye marked (I'll ignore your suggestion of Sissoko as he's playing further forward and this would be a daft ambitious pass), what's he meant to do? Play it backwards to the defence or keeper, putting them under pressure, every time? Even if the ball forward has a chance of reaching the winger/striker/Sissoko? I'd expect him to try the forward ball myself.

Tiote for me is in the best position on the pitch for options to pass. He's got men all around him, very rarely will all be marked out of a pass, especially when we are playing one up front. No harm dishing it out to the side, let the FB run on to it and again no harm in passing it back to the CBs if Tiote is facing the wrong way when he's won the ball, rather than turning back in to trouble. I really don't understand people's need to want the ball released forward at every opportunity, sometimes we need to retain possession, pull players out of position and make them work for it for a change. Smart, calm play, we don't do enough of it, quickly lump it forward for it to be headed back or cleared, it's stupid play IMO.

Not saying Tiote is the main culprit of this, far from it, this is down to the manager, but it would be nice for him to be a calming influence in the position he plays rather than trying to do everything, pulling himself out of position, trying to do the stuff Cabaye can do or shoot like he's got more than one shot on target in the last 20 games.

Eh? You can still pass the ball forward in a simple way. Of course he doesn't have to pass it backwards all the time :lol:. It's when he starts lofting 30 yard passes that come off 1/10 times that annoys me.

Perch has also made 5 interceptions in the games against Villa, Chelsea and Spurs. Tiote's made 7 against Spurs & Metalist alone.

I'd like to point out I'm not calling for Perch to be played over Tioté. Nobody else has either.

Guest icemanblue

Tiote for me is in the best position on the pitch for options to pass. He's got men all around him, very rarely will all be marked out of a pass, especially when we are playing one up front. No harm dishing it out to the side, let the FB run on to it and again no harm in passing it back to the CBs if Tiote is facing the wrong way when he's won the ball, rather than turning back in to trouble. I really don't understand people's need to want the ball released forward at every opportunity, sometimes we need to retain possession, pull players out of position and make them work for it for a change. Smart, calm play, we don't do enough of it, quickly lump it forward for it to be headed back or cleared, it's stupid play IMO.

Not saying Tiote is the main culprit of this, far from it, this is down to the manager, but it would be nice for him to be a calming influence in the position he plays rather than trying to do everything, pulling himself out of position, trying to do the stuff Cabaye can do or shoot like he's got more than one shot on target in the last 20 games.

He did all of this last night!

People's problem here seems to be that he has the audacity to attempt ambitious forward passes. Something I have absolutely no problem with as, like you say, it contributes to our play being varied and unpredictable.

He did all of this last night!

People's problem here seems to be that he has the audacity to attempt ambitious forward passes. Something I have absolutely no problem with as, like you say, it contributes to our play being varied and unpredictable.

He did alright last night, I'd say average for him, and yet one of his better performances this season.

Tiote on form for me can do anything he likes. But when he's a shadow of his former self I just want him doing the basics right and let his game grow naturally back in to what it was instead of trying to be the hero to restore some of his own pride and confidence. All he's doing is putting more pressure on himself when things keep going wrong.

He'll come good again, I certainly want him to stay, but just play your natural game Tiote, get that right and the rest will come. I think he's forgotten this or coaching & management aren't giving him the right instructions.

Guest icemanblue

Eh? You can still pass the ball forward in a simple way. Of course he doesn't have to pass it backwards all the time :lol:. It's when he starts lofting 30 yard passes that come off 1/10 times that annoys me.

That's where we differ then, I guess. I've no issue with him trying a ball that's on, when there's no better option.

I don't really think Tioté needs to be making direct ambitious passes though. I'd much rather his passing was as simple and easy as Perch's, which is how it was when Tioté first joined the club and I think we'll all agree that was by far his best form for us.

That's all well and good, but what happens when the situation calls for it?

He tried a couple of long balls last night and they were woeful.

Get it and give it as he's done before.

Guest icemanblue

I think his long passing is massively exaggerated tbh, he can pick out a cross field ball no problem an shouldn't be encouraged not to do so. He does have a habit or trying the over ambitious at times but I don't think it's his long passing in general that's the problem.

Yep. Getting caught in possession is his biggest weakness, for me. This season, he seems to be taking too long to make his mind up. Perhaps this was as a result of him being asked to do a bit more with the ball in the absence of Yohan. It's no surprise that it's happened less with him back in the team. He'll get back to what he does best, now we have better players around him. I'm very confident of that.

Guest firetotheworks

I must be taking the 'I must have been watching another match' role, because I thought he was poor last night and has been more or less shit all season.