Cheick Tioté (1986-2017)

madras

Guest icemanblue

I think Ronaldo has been spot on about Tiote. He should just revert back to basics or not start against teams like Stoke at all. His best games comes against the better teams and maybe Anita would've been better against a team like Stoke. Tiote didn't have a bad game yesterday though, he was actually good until that tackle, which is always a risk when he's on the field.

Anita would have been bullied out of it yesterday, he wouldn't have made any clinical incisive passing, wouldn't have won the ball high up the pitch. Probs wouldn't have given away a pen either but there you go.

Exactly. We were up against some absolute giants all over the pitch yesterday. Time and again, Tiote was the one challenging for headers with Crouch, Walters and the other one. Not winning them every time, but being enough of a presence to ensure that they couldn't build attacks from easy knock ons. Anita wouldn't have got anywhere near them.

Yeah, any team that attempts to bully us out of the game, we need his presence in midfield, Tiote was very very good at closing down tackles yesterday, which Anita simply isn't yet.

I might be in favour of selling if I thought we could get a decent price for him, especially as I favour Sissoko dropping deeper position wise. Agree with those saying he would be a lot more effective if he kept it simple,too.

He's been a lot better since coming back from Africa and is a clear starter. He will also be a lot more careful inside the box after yesterday. I guess it was a case of him being over-confident after playing really well all game. He knows he was stupid and Pardew will tell him that too.

I might be in favour of selling if I thought we could get a decent price for him, especially as I favour Sissoko dropping deeper position wise. Agree with those saying he would be a lot more effective if he kept it simple,too.

You haven't been happy with Sissoko's performances or why would you do that? Also Tiote has been keeping it simple the past few games.

Guest Dontooner

Needs to up his tempo, playing a very individual game at the moment. He can dominate midfield not with strength alone but with wits. This season he has too much emphasis on power, needs to read the game better. His first touches are still a big miss and the constant need to get the ball under control rather than a quick one touch out is liability at times.

Still have confidence in him to sort out his game, just play to his instincts , he looks like he might be trying too hard now.

I think Ronaldo has been spot on about Tiote. He should just revert back to basics or not start against teams like Stoke at all. His best games comes against the better teams and maybe Anita would've been better against a team like Stoke. Tiote didn't have a bad game yesterday though, he was actually good until that tackle, which is always a risk when he's on the field.

Anita would have been bullied out of it yesterday, he wouldn't have made any clinical incisive passing, wouldn't have won the ball high up the pitch. Probs wouldn't have given away a pen either but there you go.

Wasn't saying Tiote had a bad game, but Anita wouldn't have been bullied nowhere near man. Taylor and MBiwa were good enough yesterday to show that they could win headers against Walters and Crouch. Anita in midfield gives us more movement in creating offensive outlets. And as I said, if Tiote reverts back to basics he should be starting every game no doubt in my mind.

You haven't been happy with Sissoko's performances or why would you do that? Also Tiote has been keeping it simple the past few games.

Think Sissoko is better suited to a box-to-box role. Tiote has looked a little better in recent games, but has yet to replicate the role/form of his first season.

Think Sissoko is better suited to a box-to-box role. Tiote has looked a little better in recent games, but has yet to replicate the role/form of his first season.

Bit like saying Cabaye is better suited to CM than Shola.

Bit like saying Cabaye is better suited to CM than Shola.

I meant I see Sissoko as a box-to-box player rather than as a number 10.

Don't think he is myself tbh, saw him play as a b2b many times in France and he never performed to the level he has so far for us.

His shackles have been let off so to speak and he's thriving.

Do i think we should use him as b2b on occasion against certain opposition? Sure but long term i don't think its his best and most effective position.

Defensively he was never the best anyway and full credit for Pardew in putting him in a role which would get the best from offensively.

Moussa in the no 10 role has become our best attacking outlet in the last few games, his and Gouffran's movement/forward runs are a new dimension and something I'd describe as vital to our attacking play. Playing him deeper would take that away from us and make us more reliant on Ben Arfa/Santon like earlier in the season.

Don't think he is myself tbh, saw him play as a b2b many times in France and he never performed to the level he has so far for us.

His shackles have been let off so to speak and he's thriving.

Do i think we should use him as b2b on occasion against certain opposition? Sure but long term i don't think its his best and most effective position.

Defensively he was never the best anyway and full credit for Pardew in putting him in a role which would get the best from offensively.

Moussa in the no 10 role has become our best attacking outlet in the last few games, his and Gouffran's movement/forward runs are a new dimension and something I'd describe as vital to our attacking play. Playing him deeper would take that away from us and make us more reliant on Ben Arfa/Santon like earlier in the season.

I think he is taken out of the game more by being played further forward,especially given the way we play under Pardew. His energy,physical presence and composure on the ball would be better utilised in a box-to-box role, which wouldn't sacrifice the marauding runs which have revitalised our attacking play. He is more than competent as a number 10, but personally I would play Marveaux there (who I rate higher in terms of 'football IQ').  I also don't think we require a DM in a lot of our games, especially at home, so don't mind Tiote making way.