Cheick Tioté (1986-2017)

madras

Guest neesy111

He was good?  :jeauswept:  we were playing stoke that came for a draw.  Steven taylor probably had a near 100% pass rate considering the possession he had.

He doesn't create goals, he doesn't protect his defence so what exactly does he do for us as a team except be a liability by daft fouls etc.

He was good?  :jeauswept:  we were playing stoke that came for a draw.  Steven taylor probably had a near 100% pass rate considering the possession he had.

He doesn't create goals, he doesn't protect his defence so what exactly does he do for us as a team except be a liability by daft fouls etc.

Created two scoring chances by taking the ball away from Stoke's CMs near the box. Played Sissoko through with a lovely ball and since when he doesn't protect his defence? He played a faultless game (minus the tackle) that everyone would be creaming over if it was Anita/Bigi/someone not Tiote.

I think he was good before the tackle, but the bad of that tackle kinda meant the good was for nought. He's primarily a defensive mid still, he's meant to keep us in control of games and I'm nervous everytime i see him going in for a tackle. You need to be smart to play his game and he's not.

Guest neesy111

It was so obvious he was gonna lunge 5 seconds before the tackle itself.  Opposition players know that you can bring him into making daft challenges every game now.

Best I've seen him play this season before that tackle.

Definitely has a good game in him but just can't seem to curb that rush of blood to the head, I personally think Perch deserves to be starting ahead of him considering the game against Anzhi was his absolute best for us. What exactly does he have to do to get starts?

Playing Perch at home to Stoke would be a monumental waste of time. I don't agree with Tiote starting matches like that, but at least he has a degree of ability on the ball, the same can't be said for Perch, as much as I think he's a very useful player.

Tiote thinks hes has ability on the ball but usually ends up trying daft things and giving away possession cheaply (albeit not today), I find I prefer Perch because he knows his limitations, gains possession and lays the ball immediately off to a player with more talent on the ball such as Cabaye, Sissoko, Gouffran and thats all I want from my defensive midfielder, if we insist on playing with one.

And yet he was succeeding when he first arrived. Alright teams have realised that if they hassle him he's often hurried into mistakes on the ball but I think it's more of a case of just sloppy play and decision making. He needs to go back and watch videos of what he was doing when he first arrived.

It's almost by doing less on the pitch and sticking to the simple stuff before he had far greater impacts on games for the better yet now by trying to do too much he's having an impact alright but it's detrimental to the side.

Still think he was alright yesterday apart from that challenge. But Cabaye really got him out of jail with that goal because I thought Stoke would frustrate and hold on for an annoying win. The equaliser then changed the game again.

It's almost by doing less on the pitch and sticking to the simple stuff before he had far greater impacts on games for the better yet now by trying to do too much he's having an impact alright but it's detrimental to the side.

What do you mean trying to do too much?

Holding on to the ball too long silly attempts on dribbling, all that twisting and turning bullshit and trying to pick out cutting edge passes.  His role is to get the ball and then get rid of it, preferably a simple short ball to his nearest team mate.

I agree. When Tiote does "little and often", he seems a better player. When he dwells, the opposition close him down and he chokes.

How often do you see Cabaye or Anita give the ball away under pressure? Not often.

What do you mean trying to do too much?

Holding on to the ball too long silly attempts on dribbling, all that twisting and turning bullshit and trying to pick out cutting edge passes.  His role is to get the ball and then get rid of it, preferably a simple short ball to his nearest team mate.

As above pretty much, that's what I mean. From what I've seen watching him live this season he seems to get caught out of position too much and caught in posession by being in the wrong position. When he first arrived and when he's at his best he patrols that space in front of the back four laterally, mopping up balls and breaking things up. When he starts heading too far down field with the ball that's when things go wrong. That's when he's move likely to lose the ball by being tackled or giving up possession by putting in aimless balls. Sure have the occasional blast from outside the area if the chance presents itself but I hope they coach him back into what he does best.

I'm absolutely certain that there was an article just after Pardew was appointed where he was talking about Tiote, and how he needs to be more expressive and adventurous with his passing. Can't seem to find it after a quick Google search though, anyone else remember it or have a link to it?

Just watched the pen again and not only does he dive in and give it away but he's completely done by Cameron frigging Jerome in the build-up. Pathetic.

Maybe the first one was in his mind when he dived in.

That dribble in first half that ended with the cross to the offside Cisse and the throughball to Sissoko second half were a lot more than we normally get from him, so it wasn't as if he otherwise had a 'mare.

I'm a bit puzzled by Tioté now. For a long period I just took for granted that he struggled to pick up pace after being out etc., like he has in the past.

But something has changed about his game. He's not getting close to opposition players in the way he used to, he's not controlling or winning the battle like he used to. His performances against Chelsea and Arsenal towards the end of last season, that player dominated the midfield, he was unbeatable in duels and could close down attacks by sheer determination and aggression. Not only has he lost timing and sharpness, his energy isn't the same and he's just not getting close to the action in the way he used to. It's strange.