Cheick Tioté (1986-2017)

madras

In that article there's a Man U source admitting their interest but saying they won't pay the ridiculous prices they are being quoted. There's also mention of Chelsea being ready to step in but take that as you will.

There's a number in the squad who will be hard to shift mid contract. A few of them start regularly - Gouff, Anita & Colback. Nobody would want to pay any type of money for those lads even though 2 of them have been decent/good this season

Alsoran's thankfully out of contract in June.

I didn't write the articles that were coming out around that time. Maybe there wasn't any genuine interest and we just gave him a new contract and a pay rise because Mike Ashley was feeling generous.

There's a number in the squad who will be hard to shift mid contract. A few of them start regularly - Gouff, Anita & Colback. Nobody would want to pay any type of money for those lads even though 2 of them have been decent/good this season

Alsoran's thankfully out of contract in June.

Anita is too.

I'm pretty sure I remember the press speculation about man u and Chelsea looking at him. Could just have been twatspew whoring players about in the press at the time though.

There was loads at the time, just a quick search will bring you up articles from the Telegraph, Times, Mirror and loads more. He had a great season and we gave him a new contract to reflect that. There's really no comparison to Taylor or Elliott unless you want to present an alternative history.

That said, Tiote has been finished here for some time so it's irrelevant now anyway.

Nobody compared them. They were brought up to demonstrate the shit journalists come out with to fill a bit of space.

Fact is, the only players who stay at NUFC long term under Mike Ashley are the ones that fail.

The point is, Tiote was rated highly at one point after he had a great season and he was handed a new contract to either ward off interest from other clubs or bump up his fee if we did sell. It wasn't that long ago so not that hard for most people to work out for themselves which version of history is more likely to be accurate.

Perhaps stop giving contracts to players who nobody else wants? Only a couple days ago folk were suggesting we extend Sammy's time here. :lol:

Tiote was in demand when we gave him a new contract, it was during or immediately after the season we finished 5th from what I recall.

Demand from who? If we'd got any half decent offer for him he'd have been gone.

I'm not spending £72m on this lot: Sir Alex anger at being quoted £32m for Modric, £20m for Tiote and £20m for Baines!

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2153861/Manchester-United-quoted-32m-Modric--20m-Tiote-20m-Baines.html#ixzz4WmCEUGEV

Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Man U should've spent the big money on Modric & Bale.

The point is, Tiote was rated highly at one point after he had a great season and he was handed a new contract to either ward off interest from other clubs or bump up his fee if we did sell. It wasn't that long ago so not that hard for most people to work out for themselves which version of history is more likely to be accurate.

Probably not the version suggesting that SAF, who rarely favoured a DM anyway, wanted to sign Cheick fucking Tiote. :lol:

Probably not the version suggesting that SAF, who rarely favoured a DM anyway, wanted to sign Cheick fucking Tiote. :lol:

Apart from Paul McGrath and Nicky Butt aye I guess you have a point. :lol:

Guest firetotheworks

I'm pretty sure Ferguson very rarely wanted any African players who were important to the team because of the AFCON as well like. I'd have been very surprised if, in the event that he did actually want to sign Tiote (which I doubt), that he was either the player to buck that trend in a world of Drogba, Toure etc, or whether he was to be anything more than a very bit part player along the lines of Fortune or Djemba Djemba.

Maybe the press did collectively make up all the stories about the interest in Tiote, whether from Man U, Chelsea or whichever other club was mentioned at the time. Loads of journalists might all have pitched in and we had a load of stories at that time based on nothing and fair play to Tiote and his agent then. They got Ashley to stump up a new contract based on nothing.

Apart from Paul McGrath and Nicky Butt aye I guess you have a point. :lol:

When was Paul McGrath a midfielder? :lol:

wait, are people trying to say tiote wasn't handed a contract because he'd had a period playing well?  the level of actual interest we'll never know but at the time there were certainly rumours we'd be getting a big bid in for him and they improved his contract because he presumably came over on pennies from holland

why is that even an argument?

EDIT: why was he given a new contract then, shits and giggles?

Probably not the version suggesting that SAF, who rarely favoured a DM anyway, wanted to sign Cheick fucking Tiote. [emoji38]

Apart from Paul McGrath and Nicky Butt aye I guess you have a point. [emoji38]

When was Paul McGrath a midfielder? [emoji38]

Played for Ireland and Man United many times as a midfielder and a bloody good one too.