Steven Taylor

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

a different tack from the mail where the issue is not wage demands of 60k but a relegation clause where his wage would drop 20k

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1306041/Newcastle-defender-Steven-Taylor-transfer-list.html

Putting himself and his greed above the club. 

Sign it or piss off, the club could not and should not support people on 60k in the championship.

Its insane!

a different tack from the mail where the issue is not wage demands of 60k but a relegation clause where his wage would drop 20k

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1306041/Newcastle-defender-Steven-Taylor-transfer-list.html

Putting himself and his greed above the club. 

Sign it or piss off, the club could not and should not support people on 60k in the championship.

Its insane!

wouldn't know if that were true or not but imagine not agreeing to 20k a week...fucking hell footballers man :(

He has more prem experience than the other two & has been just as good while earning less.

You think he earns less than Williamson? For all those saying 'look at what Colo earns' then there can be just as many saying 'look at what Mike earns'. Comparisons like this are silly either way.

Guest Micktoon

Turning down fucking 40k a week!!!!

Seriously this is why I'm falling out of love with the game I fell in love with as a kid. Money fucking money, the sport needs a serious overhaul. 40k for fucks sake many of the people at St james will be fucking lucky to earn that in two years never mind for a weeks work that is essentially part time.

Deluded, uneducated greedy fuckers who really need to take a reality check.

Turning down fucking 40k a week!!!!

Seriously this is why I'm falling out of love with the game I fell in love with as a kid. Money fucking money, the sport needs a serious overhaul. 40k for fucks sake many of the people at St james will be fucking lucky to earn that in two years never mind for a weeks work that is essentially part time.

Deluded, uneducated greedy fuckers who really need to take a reality check.

Footballers aren't part time workers, though. They train every day in the week (if they don't have a match on Wednesday, for example) and have to play on the weekend as well. Add the traveling time to all that and you'll see they aren't very much at home.

Added to that is, they won't earn that money till they're 70. It'll stop in the 30s and can virtually stop every day (heavy injury).

The thing is, though, they are earning big big money with their hobbies. (I don't think for example being a plumber is a hobby of many  :lol:)

I agree, they need a reality check, but for them reality is probably something like looking at some of the Man City players who are earning even more than 60k a week.

Newcastle United still hopeful Steven Taylor will stay

Aug 26 2010 by Mark Douglas, The Journal

NEWCASTLE United remain hopeful of keeping hold of transfer-listed defender Steven Taylor – despite talks over a new deal breaking down.

The 24-year-old was placed on the list yesterday amid claims of big discrepancies over the player’s wage demands and the amount that the club are prepared to pay the Academy graduate.

Fearful of the fact that Taylor’s contract is entering its final year, United say they will now listen to offers for the defender – but manager Chris Hughton wants the player to stay on Tyneside.

Newcastle released a short statement yesterday morning confirming Taylor had been placed on the list, but the player’s camp responded with a statement of their own disputing unofficial reports that he was angling for a big wage increase to around £65,000-a-week.

The club has made no official comment on Taylor’s wage demands.

After a summer of parsimonious spending the days of Newcastle paying such vast amounts would appear to be over, and United have already blocked a move for French midfielder Hatem Ben Arfa because of his own huge wage demands.

While the impasse leaves Taylor as close to the St James’ Park exit door as he has ever been during his long United career, there would appear to be an element of brinkmanship over yesterday’s events. A statement released on behalf of Taylor (left) and his agent Paul Stretford disputed the claims of huge disparities over his wage demands, but concurred with Newcastle’s official line that they would like the player to remain on Tyneside.

“Figures released to the media do not accurately reflect the position of either Steven or his agent,” the statement said.

“Both remain happy to continue negotiations over a new and extended Newcastle United contract.

“Steven was disappointed and surprised to hear through third parties that the club had decided to transfer list him. He has always given 100% to the club and will continue to do so given the opportunity.”

Taylor being slapped on the transfer list will alert the likes of West Ham and Everton, who have been long-term admirers of the central defender.

Taylor has been the subject of continual links with some of English football’s biggest names but despite talk of interest from Liverpool and Aston Villa, there has never been an official approach for the player.

If his contract runs to its conclusion, United would be entitled to compensation for the England Under-21 international, who has not played a league game in 2010 due to a series of injuries.

Taylor was ruled out of most of the promotion campaign due to a knee injury and suffered a dislocated shoulder in a pre-season friendly with Carlisle United, which has ruled him out until early Autumn.

In his absence, Mike Williamson and Fabricio Coloccini have made a fine start to life in the Premier League – while new signing Sol Campbell is waiting in the wings and expected to make his debut after the international break.

But the loss of Taylor would be a sad end for one of the Newcastle Academy’s star pupils.

http://www.journallive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2010/08/26/newcastle-united-still-hopeful-steven-taylor-will-stay-61634-27139574/

----------------------------------------------------------

Chris Hughton wants to keep Steven Taylor

Aug 26 2010 by Mark Douglas, The Journal

http://www.journallive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2010/08/26/chris-hughton-wants-to-keep-steven-taylor-61634-27139677/

Guest neesy111

If we want to keep him and are continuing negotiations then putting him on the transfer list was an insane move.

It's us just telling taylor we won't be messed around.  Good move imo.

If we want to keep him and are continuing negotiations then putting him on the transfer list was an insane move.

he holds the cards though, if he had 2 years left fair enough...shit move

Guest Roger Kint

In his interview i got the impression that the club arent budging on their offer, Hughton wants him to stay but they both dont think Taylor will drop his demands. He kept saying its a club matter so its been taken out of his hands in all fairness. This contract has went on for months now, risking him going into September still far off agreeing is poor business on our part though, the transfer list was the only option to either force his hand or force him out.

In his interview i got the impression that the club arent budging on their offer, Hughton wants him to stay but they both dont think Taylor will drop his demands. He kept saying its a club matter so its been taken out of his hands in all fairness. This contract has went on for months now, risking him going into September still far off agreeing is poor business on our part though, the transfer list was the only option to either force his hand or force him out.

Aye, I understand why it's been done, just seems a bit premature. Although if the negotiations have been going on for ages, then fair enough I suppose.

At the end of the day the club won't be budging, they need to reduce everyone's wages. So it's up to Steve I suppose.

Guest guinness_fiend

Footballers are paid too little if anything. It's probaly the world's biggest entertainment industry. God forbid the ones who are actually producing the product are compensatd well. This is probaly for another thread, though.

Agreed.  If Taylor is demanding anywhere near what he's reported to, the club is right to hold out.  It shows that we won't be messed about. 

he holds the cards though, if he had 2 years left fair enough...s*** move

We've not missed him in 2010 and, given that we've got big Sol, aren't likely to.  I'd suggest that we hold all the cards here, especially given some of Taylor's woeful and spineless performances in 2009.

I think we'd have put him on the list even sooner if we knew for sure he was going to walk at the end of his contract. Now it's looking likely we have to try and get a fee.

It's funny how when it suits, people are ready to believe Ashley's propaganda. Make the player out to be greedy and with the public's attitude to player's wages, you get them onside immediately.

Figures can be manipulated to tell which story you want to promote.  And Ashley has a habit of moving the goalposts from day to day.

I want Taylor to stay but I think this situation is being deliberately manipulated by the Club to make Taylor out to be the bad guy.  He may be asking too much, who knows but that should be a private matter between him and the club.  If contract negotiations have been broken down then surely they should just tell the player that they will inform other clubs that they are are willing to listen to offers instead of leaking information to the press.

Unfortunately Ashley has a history of sullying the reputations of former players and managers but once out there mud sticks, and whatever the outcome or the truth, many fans will now associate Taylor with being greedy.

It's funny how when it suits, people are ready to believe Ashley's propaganda. Make the player out to be greedy and with the public's attitude to player's wages, you get them onside immediately.

Figures can be manipulated to tell which story you want to promote.  And Ashley has a habit of moving the goalposts from day to day.

I want Taylor to stay but I think this situation is being deliberately manipulated by the Club to make Taylor out to be the bad guy.  He may be asking too much, who knows but that should be a private matter between him and the club.  If contract negotiations have been broken down then surely they should just tell the player that they will inform other clubs that they are are willing to listen to offers instead of leaking information to the press.

Unfortunately Ashley has a history of sullying the reputations of former players and managers but once out there mud sticks, and whatever the outcome or the truth, many fans will now associate Taylor with being greedy.

Surely transfer lists are public by definition? The press will obviously know who is on them.

I agree we need to take all this with a pinch of salt though, with claim and counter-claim in the press.

It doesn't matter anyway, if Taylor really hasn't rejected £40k then he'll sign, if he has rejected it he won't sign. We'll know soon enough.

It's even funnier how people have selective amnesia where Steve Taylor and new contracts are concerned. The leaks about Everton and Liverpool ready to pounce a couple of years ago....stories of him wanting away after the Carroll KO....now this. Maybe all that was make believe or Ashley's fault. The regime must just hate Taylor for some unexplained reason.

Guest guinness_fiend

:lol:

No agenda there, eh?

Whether or not Taylor is asking for £60K isn't the point.  The point is that the club has recently been prudent with its wage structure and, conjecture aside, should not budge.  It's sensible.  I don't think anyone on here "hates" Taylor and the press release doesn't make him out to be a money grabbing monster.  People with common sense will appreciate that there's two sides to the story.

In any event, for what he's currently being paid (on the breadline, selling handjobs to pay the rent...), he might as well not be at the club at the moment, given his recent history of injury.  It's like me spending a year off work and then trying to negotiate an above-inflation pay rise upon my return, when I've not been missed.  Granted, it wouldn't be a lot of money, but I'd still get laughed out of my boss' office.

If his contract runs to its conclusion, United would be entitled to compensation for the England Under-21 international, who has not played a league game in 2010 due to a series of injuries.

From the Journal.

Not sure what they mean by that. Compensation for his value or because he was injured?

Guest Roger Kint

Would it not be that loyalty bonus crap that we had to pay out to Owen & Viduka for generously seeing out their contracts?

Edit i read that the wrong way although that would no doubt be payable from us to him.

Am guessing as he was 24 when the season started then the compensation fee is still valid. Good at least we will get a couple of million either way now.