Steven Taylor

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

I'd have Colo and Yanga back in the side, like.

Players have bad games, man. He's a bit rough around the edges atm but I've seen no evidence that MYM should be behind Mike fecking Williamson, never mind Steven Taylor. He looks like an intelligent defender to me, but - admittedly - needs to improve if he's going to be a success for us in this league. But he needs to play. We're not going to shell out on another centre-back and he was clearly bought as Colo's replacement. He needs to be one of the first names on the team sheet.

If we pander to Suarez he'll just walk all over us anyway. We're at home, we have the attackers to take the game to Liverpool, and Colo and Yanga are good defenders. Put them in the team together and let them understand a partnership to take them into the rest of the season. Liverpool look a good side this season but we don't need to be shit scared of them. No doubt the manager (and, in turn, the players) will be, though.

I'd have Colo and Yanga back in the side, like.

Players have bad games, man. He's a bit rough around the edges atm but I've seen no evidence that MYM should be behind Mike fecking Williamson, never mind Steven Taylor. He looks like an intelligent defender to me, but - admittedly - needs to improve if he's going to be a success for us in this league. But he needs to play. We're not going to shell out on another centre-back and he was clearly bought as Colo's replacement. He needs to be one of the first names on the team sheet.

If we pander to Suarez he'll just walk all over us anyway. We're at home, we have the attackers to take the game to Liverpool, and Colo and Yanga are good defenders. Put them in the team together and let them understand a partnership to take them into the rest of the season. Liverpool look a good side this season but we don't need to be shit scared of them. No doubt the manager (and, in turn, the players) will be, though.

Spot on.

Colo and MYM should never play together again after that Everton game

The fuck, man? They had a stinker, that's all, imo. Absolutely no way we can decide that they're unsuited at this stage, imo. But they're our two best centre-backs and not playing them together means dropping one of them, which I'd just rather not do. Given how fucking gash we are when it comes to conceding goals.

No offence, but that's ridiculous.

they don't work together simple as that a cb pairing is more than just simply the 2 most talented its the 2 best balanced and MYM and Colo don't compliment each other.

they don't work together simple as that a cb pairing is more than just simply the 2 most talented its the 2 best balanced and MYM and Colo don't compliment each other.

I'd rather we give our two best CBs more than 5 minutes to become settled with one another, tbh, as opposed to ditching the idea off the back of one game.

(A) we don't know that, it's too soon to say and (B) the other options have glaring weaknesses and are almost certainly worse overall.

Except they've generally looked solid every other time they've been paired together. One nightmare performance against the most physical striker in the league isn't enough to scrap the partnership of our two best CBs.

They've only like 11 matches together and that mostly along a new right back, backup left back and goalie.

You'll find that it generally takes much more than that to form a solid back 4.

I just think any conclusion based on Lukaku is stupid, Colo played worse against him and he dominates almost everyone. I really wish Pardew had just stuck with Mapou, and we would be talking about a much improved performance instead of whether Taylor should play.

Guest neesy111

I just think any conclusion based on Lukaku is stupid, Colo played worse against him and he dominates almost everyone. I really wish Pardew had just stuck with Mapou, and we would be talking about a much improved performance instead of whether Taylor should play.

You're forgetting the shambles the defence was against Hull, Colo in particular.

You're forgetting the shambles the defence was against Hull, Colo in particular.

Exactly. :thup:

I'm just saying, if Taylor's on the pitch he's the one marking Benteke and I don't think he loses him, either. He certainly doesn't just step away from the herd of bodies like MYM did.

You don't know that man. :lol:

It's an opinion with a pretty solid basis.

Listen, I think MYM has the potential to be better than Taylor is, and here's another opinion: I think he will be, by far, in time.

That said, right now Taylor's better suited to PL football by a distance, and by far the better partner for Coloccini.

Benteke did a lot more from open play against Taylor than he did against MYM.

In the 2-1 last year, only shit finishing from Benteke stopped him from scoring a hatrick. Against MYM this year he did close to f*ck all outside of one corner which tbf Taylor might have stopped.

But that is really irrelevant tbh, the end result was the same with both of them. :lol: