Steven Taylor

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Guest neesy111

everton (typical) and blackburn linked in the mirror

Journalism could barely get any lazier, Allardyce doesn't rate him.

That's very true, I seemed he called Taylor defending v Man City as crap :lol:

Guest malandro

I can see the club's position. If Taylor can't agree a contract now, then he may as well go rather us risking losing him for nothing. It's not as though he's an essential player.

Taylor will never make a top class centre back. He's too clumsy.

What makes you think ST will agree to go now just because the club have put him on the transfer list?

Well he might not. But it's a clear statement from the club that he won't get any more money, and the ball is now in his court.

Could they not have just sent him a letter?

Good riddance. He's a decent player, and it is good for any club to have a few local boys in the first team, but he has done nothing to warrant such a wage increase. In fact, I do not see what he had done at the end of 2008 that warranted 40,000 a week. Since then he's been the third choice centreback on a relegated side and played half of a decent season in the Championship, where he was once more oushone by two other centrebacks.

Guest malandro

I can see the club's position. If Taylor can't agree a contract now, then he may as well go rather us risking losing him for nothing. It's not as though he's an essential player.

Taylor will never make a top class centre back. He's too clumsy.

What makes you think ST will agree to go now just because the club have put him on the transfer list?

Got a feeling that Ashley is the type of person who'll let him sit and not play for the whole of the season if he doesn't sign or leave. No evidence to back it up, just a hunch.

And pay him the a million pound plus to sit around doing nothing for the next nine months!? He’ll probably end up going out on loan.

If he's asked for £60k then I'm glad he's going, £40k is probably 40 times more than he or any other footballer should earn anyway.  I was getting pisses off with football and it was mainly because the players get far too much for far too little so if this is a sign of things to come then good.

Good riddance. He's a decent player, and it is good for any club to have a few local boys in the first team, but he has done nothing to warrant such a wage increase. In fact, I do not see what he had done at the end of 2008 that warranted 40,000 a week. Since then he's been the third choice centreback on a relegated side and played half of a decent season in the Championship, where he was once more oushone by two other centrebacks.

Hardly outshone. He was purely injured, when he was in he did just as well as both Colo & Williamson.

Thats probably the reason he feels he justifys a wage increase, because a defender whos shown a similar level of ability is likely on quite a bit more than he is.

He probably sees that as a decent reason to negotiate a higher wage for himself which is understandable. Williamson has just cocked it up for him due to also showing a good level of ability, while again probably accepting a lower wage due to wanting to play football and prove himself finally.

Neither side is in the wrong that much really imo.

Footballers are paid too little if anything. It's probaly the world's biggest entertainment industry. God forbid the ones who are actually producing the product are compensatd well. This is probaly for another thread, though.

They are paid far too much and are the main reason so many clubs are in debt.

Footballers are paid too little if anything. It's probaly the world's biggest entertainment industry. God forbid the ones who are actually producing the product are compensatd well. This is probaly for another thread, though.

I understand that some foolish clubs have overextended themselves and raised the market, but regardless of this I actually think their pay is justified considering that they are the backbone one of the few universal Worldwide entertainments.

Hardly outshone. He was purely injured, when he was in he did just as well as both Colo & Williamson.

Thats probably the reason he feels he justifys a wage increase, because a defender whos shown a similar level of ability is likely on quite a bit more than he is.

He probably sees that as a decent reason to negotiate a higher wage for himself which is understandable. Williamson has just cocked it up for him due to also showing a good level of ability, while again probably accepting a lower wage due to wanting to play football and prove himself finally.

Neither side is in the wrong that much really imo.

I could understand that argument if we were still paying out silly wages. But this is a player that has been here for many years now, and knows for a fact they're trying to get the wages down to a reasonable level. Colo was lucky to be one of the last of the ridiculous wage era. That shouldn't justify Taylor being after the same wage. He should accept that he was unfortunate to miss out on that period and get on with the job for a wage that is way over what a player like him should be earning anyway.

FWIW the BBC are saying in their article that they too 'understand' Taylor rejected a four-year, £40k a week offer.

Needs to take a long look at himself if true. No way he should be turning his nose up at that.

Fair play he stuck with the club last season when he could have left, but thats a cracking wage for someone where he is at with his career.

I could understand that argument if we were still paying out silly wages. But this is a player that has been here for many years now, and knows for a fact they're trying to get the wages down to a reasonable level. Colo was lucky to be one of the last of the ridiculous wage era. That shouldn't justify Taylor being after the same wage. He should accept that he was unfortunate to miss out on that period and get on with the job for a wage that is way over what a player like him should be earning anyway.

He knows theyre trying to do that sure, doesnt mean its in his best interest does it. He has more prem experience than the other two & has been just as good while earning less. He obviously saw that as putting him in a good position to negotiate a higher wage as he thinks himself valuable to the side.

Williamson stepping up has put him in a weaker position, i doubt theyd have transfer listed him if we'd been on the end of 6-0 instead obviously.

He may now lower his expectations, or another club may see more potential than we do milner style & offer what he wants. Think the whole situation is just normal & what ud expect.

Guest VegasToon

FWIW the BBC are saying in their article that they too 'understand' Taylor rejected a four-year, £40k a week offer.

Needs to take a long look at himself if true. No way he should be turning his nose up at that.

Fair play he stuck with the club last season when he could have left, but thats a cracking wage for someone where he is at with his career.

If that is true, I'll drive him to his next team.

Guest firetotheworks

If that's true then he's a complete Glebe. He's not even worth that. 30k a week is the most I could stomach him being on.

a different tack from the mail where the issue is not wage demands of 60k but a relegation clause where his wage would drop 20k

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1306041/Newcastle-defender-Steven-Taylor-transfer-list.html

If all our players renewing their contracts have this relegation clause, then it is a good idea. It aligns the incentive of the players with Premiership survival. Taylor should take the contract and help ensure that we don't get relegated.

Exactly right Mick....these guys provide the worst value for money as a ratio to the average PL wage.

Ruining the game and about time it was stopped. If a player can't live on even 250,000 a year its a disgrace. Admittedly, they should get a decent pension/pay off when they retire because its a short career, but that should be linked to whether they continue in coaching or management.

not reading 9 pages of this shit to if it's been said but:

1. depending who he signs for he'll go on to do very well injuries permitting imo (i think hodgson will come in as soon as they sell mascherano)

2. it's another fucking body to replace in the squad, which really is not good is it?