Steven Taylor

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Age is immaterial, Williamson has had little to no exposure of playing at the top level against the best strikers in the game unlike Taylor. Hence he can improve by learning to adapt his game by learning against these better players. Taylor is still the same hands out pointing to others to cover him whilst he stands in the wrong position defender he was when he first broke in to the team. I;d be flabbergasted if Taylors wages werent substantially bigger than Mike's.

i fucking hate pardew already

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

Probably not a bad thing.

Between him,Colo,Willi, Tozer and Kadar on the surface it looks like we've got central defence sorted.

;D

Why are people annoyed at the contract length? I will drink messi's piss if we are unable to find a buyer if we decide to sell in the next 5 and a half years.

Currently we would get at least £5m for him imo.

Does my head in all you lot trying to be clever by saying you are not happy with this.  Hes Young, English (Geordie), loves the club, prob future England material.  How can you not be please with this? 

Am not even saying he should start but how can you not be happy with this?

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

Does my head in all you lot trying to be clever by saying you are not happy with this.  Hes Young, English (Geordie), loves the club, prob future England material.  How can you not be please with this? 

Future England material, but not good enough to start

Guest guinness_fiend

(1)  He's not young, relatively speaking.  He's no better than our other central defenders and seems incapable of developing as a player and learning from his mistakes.

(2)  The only way he will get into the England squad is if the team plane crashes on the way to a friendly.

(3)  Just because he's a local lad doesn't mean the sun shines out of his backside (see Shola).  He has to prove he's worthy of the shirt first.

No-one is trying to be clever, just realistic.

(1) He's not young, relatively speaking.  He's no better than our other central defenders and seems incapable of developing as a player and learning from his mistakes.

Tell this to the plebs on here that think NUFC have a policy of signing young players & then mention the likes of Williamson  & Routledge who were not that young when we signed them.

Considering most CB won't hit their peak until 29/30/31 he is still relatively young.  He a better player than when he first started playing so I don't get where this whole 'he won't learn from his mistakes' comes from.

I think this is good news, he is a good backup for our right back and our central defenders. I still hope we will go for David Weather(havent seen him since boro where in the PL).

imo it's only good news if we play our best centre half pairing when fit, and that doesnt involve taylor

I think hes decent and will improve over the next couple of years.  Hes been out for a long time just wait.

You guys seem annoyed hes staying?  Hes decent and when he cried when we got relegated thats all i needed to see

Guest guinness_fiend

Considering most CB won't hit their peak until 29/30/31 he is still relatively young.  He a better player than when he first started playing so I don't get where this whole 'he won't learn from his mistakes' comes from.

Hitting the age of peakdom doesn't result in all turds being polished.  Using that logic, Shola should be playing like Drogba at the moment.  After all, he's in the "peak" of his career.

The main problem with Taylor is that he hasn't improved in the slightest since breaking into the first team.  It doesn't matter if he's 20 or 30, the fact that he's been at the club for yonks and still hasn't mastered the basics of defending is pretty worrying, especially since people on here slate our other defenders within one or two games of them signing for the club, without any real basis for doing so.

Defensive alarm bells:

Out of position constantly?  Check.

Blames others for his mistakes?  Check.

Complete lack of composure when in the eighteen yard box?  Check.

Unable to command a defensive line?  Check.

Completely one footed?  Check.

Lack of pace?  Check.

Failure to understand the offside trap?  Check.

How to win over the fans:

Local lad?  Check*

Kisses the badge?  Check.

Scores the odd goal with his head and goes spastic?  Check.

* Conveniently ignoring the fact that he was born in Greenwich, obviously.

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

I think hes decent and will improve over the next couple of years.  Hes been out for a long time just wait.

You guys seem annoyed hes staying?  Hes decent and when he cried when we got relegated thats all i needed to see

He's good backup and little more. Whether he is Geordie and "cried" when we got relegated is irrelevant.

Hitting the age of peakdom doesn't result in all turds being polished.  Using that logic, Shola should be playing like Drogba at the moment.  After all, he's in the "peak" of his career.

The main problem with Taylor is that he hasn't improved in the slightest since breaking into the first team.  It doesn't matter if he's 20 or 30, the fact that he's been at the club for yonks and still hasn't mastered the basics of defending is pretty worrying, especially since people on here slate our other defenders within one or two games of them signing for the club, without any really basis for doing so.

Defensive alarm bells:

Out of position constantly?  Check.

Blames others for his mistakes?  Check.

Complete lack of composure when in the eighteen yard box?  Check.

Unable to command a defensive line?  Check.

Completely one footed?  Check.

Lack of pace?  Check.

Failure to understand the offside trap?  Check.

Exactly my problem with him.

It's the same crap that gets trotted out without any real evidence though.  Since Taylor's came back into the team where have his massive errors been?  In fact, taking last season into account, when was the last time he played really badly?  The relegation season?  Even then he was one of the better players in the team.

Who gives a s*** if he kisses the badge every so often?   Barton does it all the time despite having no real connection to the club and despite letting the club down time and time again while picking up probably double what Taylor earned in the same time. 

If we're picking on CBs let's have a look at Coloccini's weaknesses.  Getting muscled off the ball by Jason Roberts, stepping up against West Ham and letting them run in behind, and getting outmuscled by Elmander to name a few.  All CBs make mistakes and have weaknesses, Taylor has them but not as bad as some on here make out.  Ask most neutrals what they think of Taylor and I'm sure they'd say average PL CB.

Local lad?  Check*

Kisses the badge?  Check.

Scores the odd goal with his head and goes spastic?  Check.

He cant help that he grew up here ffs. He is a fan of the club, he has only been a pro at one club (apart from being out on loan) so he is hardly a Wayne Rooney/Carlos Tevez type character when it comes to kissing the crest of the club he plays for. You make it sound like its a bad thing that he has scored goals for us.

"* Conveniently ignoring the fact that he was born in Greenwich, obviously" = Who conveniently forgets this? Any examples? Most of us class him, Shola, Kaz Lua Lua as Geordies but then people like me classed Terry Butcher as English.