Steven Taylor

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Guest BooBoo

Taylor has ALWAYS been better than Williamson.

There's not a great deal between them. Both very average defenders with glaring weaknesses to their games. With Taylor its his rashness, with Williamson his chronic lack of strength.

I've always preferred Williamson but tonight he was nothing short of dismal.

I'd not noticed how bad his distribution was until tonight - though, in fairness to him and Colo, they didn't have a Tiote collecting the ball, giving an option and sweeping up which probably played a big part.

Taylor will come in for the Mackem match now though, if fit and rightly so.

Guest Stephen927

Williamson gave an interview before the game about how he has played on this kind of pitch before in the lower leagues and that there are a few other lads who have too. Could have fooled me.

Will be much more confident with Saylor in the squad.

It was vital we eventually extended his contract with the other options we have available.

I'm not a fan of S Taylor at all - always nervous as fuck with him in the side but he has to come back in now.

Taylor's distribution would have been exactly the same as Williamson's was today. The reason for that is that a Tioteless midfield apart from Barton (same old story) weren't showing for the ball.

It's the same reason why Coloccini was playing long balls for a lot of the game as well.

Guest neesy111

Yeah, Taylor is as bad as anyone in the squad for aimless long balls from defence.

I'm sure he could defended that 3rd goal better though.

Typical Williamson criticism after a dodgy game? Yawn. Funny that when criticism of Taylor comes up after one game, alot immediately jump on the defensive.

I'm a fan of the big willi but today was his worst display in a black and white shirt. Fair do's people having a pop.

I still think he's a calmer influence than Taylor but he looked absolutely fucked today and in need a spell out of the limelight.

Typical Williamson criticism after a dodgy game? Yawn. Funny that when criticism of Taylor comes up after one game, alot immediately jump on the defensive.

I'm a fan of the big willi but today was his worst display in a black and white shirt. Fair do's people having a pop.

I still think he's a calmer influence than Taylor but he looked absolutely fucked today and in need a spell out of the limelight.

His last 2 starts have been his worst two games.Doesn't like a physical opponent by the looks of things.

His last 2 starts have been his worst two games.Doesn't like a physical opponent by the looks of things.

The funny thing is he has had good games against physical strikers but he used to stand off much more and seemed to read the game well. Now he seems much closer to the forward meaning he gets outpowered/is pressured into mistakes.

Dare I say it, he looked better under CH - I wonder if the dropping for Saylor has affected his confidence?

http://www.people.co.uk/sport/football/news/2011/01/09/tayl-of-injury-heartbreak-for-toon-defender-steven-taylor-102039-22835716/

STEVEN TAYLOR has been ruled out of Sunday’s derby with Sunderland at The Stadium of Light with a thigh injury.

And Newcastle team-mate, striker Andy Carroll, is another doubt after being sent to Dubai to get over a similar problem.

Taylor, 24, admits: “I’m going to be out of the Sunderland game. I felt a tightness in the last few minutes before half time against West Ham on Wednesday night.

“We’ve had an unbelievable number of games over Christmas and I had just come back from a long spell out. I don’t know whether that has taken it’s toll.

“But it’s been great getting some games under my belt, especially the 5-0 win against West Ham, and we are up where we should be.

“But we all know how much Sunderland are hurting after our 5-1 win at St James’ Park.”

On Carroll’s injury, Toon boss Alan Pardew said: “He is coming back from Dubai on Wednesday. We’ll assess him then.”

Taylor also thanked new Geordie chief Pardew for saving his Newcastle career.

People Sport revealed last month one of the first things Pardew did when he took over from Chris Hughton was to tell Taylor he wanted him to stay.

And within a couple of weeks, the defender finally signed a new five-year contract. The Newcastle players made no secret of the fact they were unhappy at the sacking of Hughton, but former England Under-21 skipper Taylor added: “Everyone took to the new gaffer straight away.

“His training sessions have been good. They are different to what Chris Hughton was doing. He has got his own method.

“He got me in his office and told me he had signed a five-year deal, so he wanted me to do the same. I ‘m happy, as I want to be with Newcastle for the rest of my career.”

Taylor is disappointed not to have made the senior England set-up, adding: “It killed me playing in the Championship last year. But after relegation, I wanted to help Newcastle back into the Premier League.”

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Was impressed with him today, thought he did really well.

Seems to have trimmed down a lot too which will please neesy.

pardew did mention he wanted him slimmed down a bit a few weeks ago

Aye it was all muscle though, ney fat

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

Was impressed with him today, thought he did really well.

Seems to have trimmed down a lot too which will please neesy.

Looked a lot leaner in the club Flickr training photos this week- good thing I suppose.

Guest schmuck

I don't think I'll ever rate him particularly at centre back but he really can be a force of nature getting forward from right back can't he. Doesn't have the technique of some but there's a real blunt effectiveness about him all the same, as well as the defensive nouse to back it up.

You just never get tired of his "Steven Taylor - Geordie Hero" mode where he just starts running up the pitch and towards goal like a mad man.

It's right up there with those "WTF, Colo, why are you there?" moments.