Shola Ameobi

Keefaz

Don't know how true this is but my uni mate was telling me my other ex flatmates friend works at a hotel in Manchester and when we played Manchester United away he went to get the bill off Ameobi for whatever drinks he'd bought, Ameobi put his card on the receipt and simply went "You can f*** off now". :lol:

:lol:

Not a chance.

I saw him do the bare minimum you'd expect of a professional footballer up front.

He sauntered around, held it up a few times, and lost it/gave up a lot more times. Incredible he's sustained a career in this league for so long. It's like an episode of 'Faking It' but the production team ran out of money and forgot to tell Shola to return to his normal life of professional apple-loving cyclist.

I think you're being too generous, he was a crock of shit.

Don't know how true this is but my uni mate was telling me my other ex flatmates friend works at a hotel in Manchester and when we played Manchester United away he went to get the bill off Ameobi for whatever drinks he'd bought, Ameobi put his card on the receipt and simply went "You can fuck off now". :lol:

Fuck me, tenuous much? :lol:

I think it's only fair that we acknowledge this chap's part in the Cisse transfer. Showed impeccable timing with an outstanding performance in front of Ashley's on his first visit to the stadium in ages.

Shola. :icon_salut:

Guest MrSundlofer

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Newcastle-Shola-Ameobi-feels-inspired-not-threatened-by-Papiss-Cisse-signing-article855586.html#.TxpykLYec6o.twitter

Newcastle striker Shola Ameobi took a punt at how many other forwards the club has signed during his 11 years at St James' Park:

"I'll have a good guess. Er, 28? Nearly as many as managers I've had, hah! I know it's a lot."

The answer is actually 23 - according to the club (see below).

And while the latest addition to that list, Papiss Cisse, kicks off his Africa Cup of Nations campaign on Saturday with Senegal after signing this week, Ameobi is likely to start against Fulham.

The long-serving star has seen it all before. Managers have come and gone, fortunes have fluctuated, so when Ameobi says he senses something is changing for the better on Tyneside, it is time to listen.

Expectations are being raised by Alan Pardew's high fliers - by Saturday night they could be in fifth spot - and with Cisse arriving and a squad hungry for European qualification (a target secretly set back in August by Pardew), the mood is optimistic.

Far from questioning his own future, he is excited - as a Geordie and as a player - by the Cisse deal.

Ameobi says: "Stability wise, everyone seems to be moving in the same direction, which is crucial for any successful team, in my eyes. I have been here when managers have changed every couple of seasons and you just don't quite get that sense of stability.

"Obviously with Chris Hughton, before Alan, he brought that sense of stability in and as players, we just felt we were going somewhere. And that is the sense we are getting now.

"That means to an end as it were - pushing for a common goal. And that goal is to finish as high as we can and to try to get into Europe.

"That is something the manager spoke to us about at the start of the season. He told the players in pre-season that was his objective and that is where we are trying to go

"We have a small squad and the manager has always spoken about wanting to get another striker in. Cisse had a fantastic season last time in the Bundesliga. He is a top, top player so, like everyone else, I'm excited.It's great news.

"Our focus has been on Fulham on Saturday, but we'll welcome him with open arms when he comes - hopefully he will be injury free from the Africa Cup of Nations.

"People ask if I get worried about someone new coming in. Do you know what? You would think that, in a way, it would disappoint me but, really, it doesn't.

"As I've always said, we have had numerous strikers come in since I have been here and it does not change for me.

"At the end of the day, you've got to fight for places at every club and it is no different here.

"For me, it makes you work harder. When a top player comes in, you know you have to fight harder and do better to get a place in the team and that can only bode well for the club.

"I have always seen it that way. I always try to look at the bigger picture. Hopefully, it can only bode well for the club."

Newcastle are getting used to their lofty position, which has proved to be no fluke and is born out of signing quality players, getting the best out of a squad, good spirit and a strong work ethic.

Ameobi, who had his cheekbone "smashed" at Fulham last season, added: "People keep asking me, 'Is this expected?' I guess at the start of the season people would not have put us in the position we are currently in, but I think you see every season there are teams that surpass people's expectations.

"You deserve to be where you are in the league. The teams that go down deserve to go down. We deserved to go down three seasons ago because we were not good enough, so on the flip side of that, you deserve to be where you are because we have played well this season.

"We have players who can win us games. We are not getting too ahead of ourselves and know it is still a long way to go until May 13, so we are just keeping our heads down.

"The manager has dealt with the whole situation well with the players and the fact he has not let us get out of hand and be something that we are not.

"He knows the formula for our success is hard work and if we keep on doing that, there is no reason why we cannot be in this position at the end of the season."

As for Cisse's eventual arrival after the African finals, Ameobi said: "It just means we all raise our game. The competition becomes that much sharper, and it only benefits Newcastle."

TOON ARMY! THE STRIKERS NEWCASTLE HAVE SIGNED SINCE AMEOBI'S DEBUT

LuaLua, Bellamy, Bridges, Kluivert, Luque, Owen, Martins, Rossi, Sibierski, Viduka, Smith, Ranger, Xisco, Nacho, Gonzalez, Lovenkrands, Harewood, Pancrate, Routledge, Best, Kuqi, Ba

A few others he outlasted: Shearer, Carroll, Chopra, Cordone, Gallagher

:idiot2:

Should give his wages, match fee and probably car keys to the fans for this performance. Fully expect to hear he's been carrying an injury for the last six weeks and has been battling through. Absolutely fucking abysmal.