Are Mike and Del Boy Forgiven Now?

MyPalAl
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest malandro

The Journal are suggesting that the money for the new signings (£13m) came from Ashleys pocket, not the clubs.

Is that even possible? Surely the money has to go through the club somehow?

What did they say? I’ve checked the online version and it says nothing about Ashley paying for anything.

The Journal are suggesting that the money for the new signings (£13m) came from Ashleys pocket, not the clubs.

Is that even possible? Surely the money has to go through the club somehow?

What did they say? I’ve checked the online version and it says nothing about Ashley paying for anything.

Ah, here ya go, found it...

The no capital outlay comment continues to baffle given transfer fees have been paid – The Journal understands all money spent has been Ashley’s rather than the club’s – but instead of moaning about the small sums of money, we are pleasantly surprised by the fact some has been parted with.

http://www.journallive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2010/09/01/mike-ashley-s-approach-has-desired-effect-61634-27176373/

Bit of a mad thing for them to just slip in there.

I put it to you that I don't think it's really a priority to keep the fans informed of how much cash the club does/doesn't have.

You counter that I'm thick as two short planks or being a fanny?

???

:lol:

isn't he meaning the general health of the clubs finances?  i.e. debt levels, income levels etc.

that's what i read into it from malandro anyway, not how much they had to spend on players: "I just want to know what the clubs financial position is and what the plan is to deal with it" were the words used

We do that by filing the company accounts every March/April.

I'm kind of with malandro on this, they shouldn't be issuing statements like the no capital investment and all the other shit about Asley financing 20m out of his own pocket and so on.  This implies the clubs finances are not in good shape so it's natural to wonder about it surely if you're that way inclined?

Frankly I don't care either way, the shite that comes out of the club borders on the insane/idiotic at times so I read nothing into any of it, or at least try to.

I put it to you that I don't think it's really a priority to keep the fans informed of how much cash the club does/doesn't have.

???

isn't he meaning the general health of the clubs finances?  i.e. debt levels, income levels etc.

that's what i read into it from malandro anyway, not how much they had to spend on players: "I just want to know what the clubs financial position is and what the plan is to deal with it" were the words used

I'm kind of with malandro on this, they shouldn't be issuing statements like the no capital investment and all the other shit about Asley financing 20m out of his own pocket and so on.  This implies the clubs finances are not in good shape so it's natural to wonder about it surely if you're that way inclined?

Frankly I don't care either way, the shite that comes out of the club borders on the insane/idiotic at times so I read nothing into any of it, or at least try to.

Surely it's better to say "we've got nothing" than to say "yeah, we're loaded, milk us for as much as you can", though?

???

Surely it's better to say "we've got nothing" than to say "yeah, we're loaded, milk us for as much as you can", though?

Surely no-one believes hay statement was intended to influence our transfer negotiations? Fucking hell. :lol:

I'd like to think malandro is saying they should be saying fuck all rather than ambiguous statements (which in fairness were discussed on here more than the meaning of life) that imply the club is skint/fucked.

The reverse of that statement would be you don't also announce we've got shitloads of money and are gonna spend it freely. :lol:

???

isn't he meaning the general health of the clubs finances? i.e. debt levels, income levels etc.

that's what i read into it from malandro anyway, not how much they had to spend on players: "I just want to know what the club’s financial position is and what the plan is to deal with it" were the words used

I'm kind of with malandro on this, they shouldn't be issuing statements like the no capital investment and all the other shit about Asley financing 20m out of his own pocket and so on. This implies the clubs finances are not in good shape so it's natural to wonder about it surely if you're that way inclined?

Surely no-one believes hay statement was intended to influence our transfer negotiations? Fucking hell. :lol:

I didn't say that, my point is that saying that money was there would hardly have been a better approach and would have influenced our negotiations... If they'd said nothing people would have expected money to be spent by default. The statement was intended to lower expectations.

I may be naive, but I couldn't really give a flying fuck about the clubs accounts at the moment, or money that we/Ashley has/has not.

I just want to enjoy going to the match, and having a team worthy of our support, and let Ashley run HIS club the way he has (very successfully) run his other businesses over the years.

I run my own business, but he is FAR more successful at running his than I am mine (cos I am no billionaire), so for that reason, and because I am very sure that he wants success for NUFC as well as me, I am prepared to let him do what he is good at (business acumen-wise), and I will do what I am good at, and that is support the team.

statement was intended to lower expectations.

This we all know. The question is why was it released at all? The 'expectations' of the fans would have been fuck all given the recent history Ashley just had (Keegan, appointing JFK, not spending in Jan, selling Milner and making a profit etc.).

Who in their right minds would have had any expectations that Ashley would open the chequebook?

As it is they've stated 'no capital investment' then went and spent fucking money on players :lol:

We're ran by incompetents and arseholes, simple as that.

This we all know. The question is why was it released at all? The 'expectations' of the fans would have been fuck all given the recent history Ashley just had (Keegan, appointing JFK, not spending in Jan, selling Milner and making a profit etc.).

Who in their right minds would have had any expectations that Ashley would open the chequebook?

As it is they've stated 'no capital investment' then went and spent fucking money on players :lol:

If you read back through the forum I'm pretty sure you'll find people (pre-statement) expecting more than £10m to be spent on improving the squad.

Read back through the forum I think you'll find all kinds of shit (plenty written by me), doesn't make it representative of fans who go week in week out.

Statement was a disgrace and an embarrassment.  As it is they've fucked up so much since taking over it just fades into the rest of it.

How many other clubs give regular financial updates to their supporters?

All I’m saying is the club should come clean. Not open the books up to all and sundry, just provide a broad outline of where we are now and we’re the club is heading. They don’t have to release figures, a clear and unambiguous summary would do.

No-one would believe them without the evidence of the accounts anyway.  ???

Completely pointless exercise. Wait for the accounts and see what's what imo.

I don't see the contradiction. I always interpreted the "no new capital outlay" thing to mean that player purchases would be financed from turnover, rather than by the owner pumping in more of his own money. It didn't mean we wouldn't spend anything, but it didn't sound like we would spend very much.

Now it's been suggested by the Journal that Ashley did fund recent player purchases. Remains to be seen whether or not that is actually true, but if he did, is that a bad thing? As investment, it looks pretty damn prudent to me.

We seem to play real hardball in the transfer market now, and it seems we're quite good at it. If public lowering of expectations and a stern policy of silence on dealings (augmented by the occasional tactical leak) are all part of the strategy, then so be it. The days of doubling the only other offer for Michael Owen are over.

Hoping for rather than expecting, surely.

Demanding rather than hoping for, in some cases.

Anyway, things like press-releases and the like are irrelevant. The thing they should be judged on over the summer is whether they've done their job of helping the manager improve his squad - which they have. If the club can survive and stabalise itself over the next couple of seasons, the relegation (and the monumental mistakes that led to it) will no longer be relevant. The people who run the club will rightly be judged on their errors, and likewise they should equally be judged on their ability to correct those errors and learn from them.

How many other clubs give regular financial updates to their supporters?

All I’m saying is the club should come clean. Not open the books up to all and sundry, just provide a broad outline of where we are now and we’re the club is heading. They don’t have to release figures, a clear and unambiguous summary would do.

No-one would believe them without the evidence of the accounts anyway.  ???

Completely pointless exercise. Wait for the accounts and see what's what imo.

:nods:

Hoping for rather than expecting, surely.

Demanding rather than hoping for, in some cases.

Anyway, things like press-releases and the like are irrelevant. The thing they should be judged on over the summer is whether they've done their job of helping the manager improve his squad - which they have. If the club can survive and stabalise itself over the next couple of seasons, the relegation (and the monumental mistakes that led to it) will no longer be relevant. The people who run the club will rightly be judged on their errors, and likewise they should equally be judged on their ability to correct those errors and learn from them.

:thup:

Im fully expecting to have £100-£150 slapped on top of my season ticket next year especially after the 3 year deal being finished then, another pre-season of sheer hatred !

Increasing ST prices would be financial suicide for the club considering many on the 3 year ticket scheme may not renew (I know of several) so they'll need to offer some incentives to keep as many of them as possible as well as trying to attract new season ticket holders because currently the club has roughly 14,000 unsold season tickets. A price freeze and the facility to pay in interest free installments like many clubs are doing now would make sure I personally would commit for another year (wouldn't do another 3 year one though).

Thatll be because th club's statements tend to be ambiguous, contradictory and confrontational. If they could just for once release a statement that clarified what is happening to NUFC a lot of the angst towards them would dissipate.  I've already said this once today.

I'd be interested to know if those who are saying supporters shouldn't care about the finances held the same view when FF was in charge.

:dontknow:

From a supporter's view, so long as the club is running within it's budget and the on-field performances are improving, why do I need to know EXACTLY how much money the club has or hasn't got? It's irrelevant to how I'll support the team at the Blackpool match.

the keegan court case revealed what they'd done. They can't be forgiven for that cos of one half decent transfer window. Hughton and the players sorted themselves out last season and theyre continuing that. Mike/Derek have nothing to take credit for in that regard imo.

Guest malandro

Thatll be because th club's statements tend to be ambiguous, contradictory and confrontational. If they could just for once release a statement that clarified what is happening to NUFC a lot of the angst towards them would dissipate.  I've already said this once today.

I'd be interested to know if those who are saying supporters shouldn't care about the finances held the same view when FF was in charge.

From a supporter's view, so long as the club is running within it's budget and the on-field performances are improving, why do I need to know EXACTLY how much money the club has or hasn't got? It's irrelevant to how I'll support the team at the Blackpool match.

And is the club is being run within budget?

the keegan court case revealed what they'd done. They can't be forgiven for that cos of one half decent transfer window. Hughton and the players sorted themselves out last season and theyre continuing that. Mike/Derek have nothing to take credit for in that regard imo.

The evidence from the last 3 sets of accounts certainly suggests that it is headed that way.

Pointed out in the thread several times before, you can't crucify Ashley & Llambias for their mistakes but refuse to acknowledge them for the positive things to have come out over the past 18mths

Most clubs are.