Are Mike and Del Boy Forgiven Now?

MyPalAl
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Advised by whom of any note, if not the police?

I remember somebody on here posting that an arrest had been made at an away match when Ashley and/or Llambias had been attacked.

I'm with Mick on this one. Anything near mid-table has got us back to where we were and the fact that rather than plummet as was expected last year we're looking like we could finish around 13th shows we're on the up again rather than down. Saying that I can understand why people refuse to forgive, but that doesn't mean they can't do well from here on in.

Advised by whom of any note, if not the police?

I remember somebody on here posting that an arrest had been made at an away match when Ashley and/or Llambias had been attacked.

Top evidence. ;)

If that did happen then it's totally unacceptable. All I'm saying is that the statement strongly implied that he'd been formally advised (by anyone with any gravitas) not to go to the games because the Newcastle fans were dangerous. That wasn't the case.

Ok here is my take on it!

As much as Ashley has done some pretty Frickin stupid things since he took over (Keegan, Wise, Xisco Fiasco's to name a few) I for one never saw him as an 'enemy' of the club.

I have bever thought for ONE minute that he was out to destroy the club as it is his busines and he needs to protect his investment. As much as it would be nice for a Nulti Billionaire Oil rich Sheikh to come in and do a Man City and just buy everyone it does not make business sense. If you look at what happened at Chelsea, they spent loads of money but Chelsea as a club did not make any money and as much as we all don't want it to be this way Football is mainly about money now however Money cannot buy you success. As far as Man City go I do not believe for one minute that the owner has got the club in his heart I believe it to be a toy thing.

Ashley built up a business related to sports and then one day decided to buy a football club and he was pretty Naive when it cam to the initial running of the club. Things were not going well, we had spent a lot of money on crap players and we were on a downward spiral and Ashley took over as he saw potential. After all the City LOVES football and although I am not from there every time I go it is an incredible experience for me to see people so passionate.

I think that the things Ashley and Co have done so far are encouraging.

The club is no longer buying players for silly money. They are being wise and since the whole Xisco thing I have been happy with players bought/loaned (apart from Khizanishvili).

It is obvious he is trying to be like Arsenal (but they have a 10 year head start on us) but I really think that the stability the club has now is definitely a plus point and the club can move forward with confidence.

It is not a case of me forgiving them, it is a case of me having more confidence in them now!

i couldnt agree more good post

Guest malandro

Northumbria Police confirmed they'd never advised him anything.

That doesn't mean they weren't hassled.

Doesn’t change the fact Ashley made uncorroborated claims that NUFC supporters had threatened to assault his kids. It’s the kind of slur that really needs to be backed up with some facts, and the kind of s*** slinging that doesn’t go down well with a lot of supporters.

It is also worth noting that after three games we are only one point ahead of Wigan and there are still 35 games to be played this season. All this stuff about what a great transfer window we’ve had is premature. A long term injury to Carroll for example could easily leave the team toothless up front.  Campbell’s’ legs could go completely at any time. Gosling may not be the same player when he eventually returns from a serious injury. Arfa might turn out not be the next Ginola.

It’s far too early to arrive at judgements about this transfer window. I’m more hopeful than I was two weeks ago but a slight increase in hope isn’t enough to render all the crap Ashley has served up irrelevant.

This thread was a very bad idea. All it does is rake up old and tired arguments. Debates that won’t be proven one way or another for a good few years yet.

Doesnt change the fact Ashley made uncorroborated claims that NUFC supporters had threatened to assault his kids. Its the kind of slur that really needs to be backed up with some facts, and the kind of s*** slinging that doesnt go down well with a lot of supporters.

It is also worth noting that after three games we are only one point ahead of Wigan and there are still 35 games to be played this season. All this stuff about what a great transfer window weve had is premature. A long term injury to Carroll for example could easily leave the team toothless up front.  Campbells legs could go completely at any time. Gosling may not be the same player when he eventually returns from a serious injury. Arfa might turn out not be the next Ginola.

Its far too early to arrive at judgements about this transfer window. Im more hopeful than I was two weeks ago but a slight increase in hope isnt enough to render all the crap Ashley has served up irrelevant.

This thread was a very bad idea. All it does is rake up old and tired arguments. Debates that wont be proven one way or another for a good few years yet.

I'm not going to post any more regarding the first paragraph.  I agree with the rest of your post and have already said that it's far too early to make a decision on if they are forgiven or not.

You do know his claim on that was a load of bollocks, right?

Since when?

He never said that was where the advice came from. That is where the papers went with it. If you don't think he felt, and by extension his family were threatend and he was adivised that that was the case, then that is bollock imho.

Threats were made to him, iirc on some of the main supporter sites for a start, christ knows what the press office got.

You do know his claim on that was a load of bollocks, right?

Since when?

He never said that was where the advice came from. That is where the papers went with it. If you don't think he felt, and by extension his family were threatend and he was adivised that that was the case, then that is bollock imho.

Threats were made to him, iirc on some of the main supporter sites for a start, christ knows what the press office got.

;D

Put it this way, I wouldn't be suprised if he and his kids had been threatened. There are some right idiots out there

Somebody who posts on here either saw something at one of our away games or was told about it and it's somebody who isn't a bullshitter.

It's up to them if they read this and want to comment on it.

Guest malandro

Put it this way, I wouldn't be suprised if he and his kids had been threatened. There are some right idiots out there

I suspect some tit did make a threat.  I doubt he would have just made it up, how credible it was is another question. However it was out of order to issue a statement that tarred all NUFC supporters. It always boils down to respect with Ashley, or to be precise a lack of it. From the way he treated Keegan to the renaming of the ground, a lack of respect has been the hallmark of his time at SJP and for as long this continues he’ll be loathed by many.

I suspect some tit did make a threat.  I doubt he would have just made it up, how credible it was is another question. However it was out of order to issue a statement that tarred all NUFC supporters. It always boils down to respect with Ashley, or to be precise a lack of it. From the way he treated Keegan to the renaming of the ground, a lack of respect has been the hallmark of his time at SJP and for as long this continues hell be loathed by many.

It's out of order for the SkySportsNews mongs to tarnish all of us with their "WER GANNA WIN THE LEEEEEEEGE LYKE!!!!!" rhetoric, but at the end of the day that's how these things work.

It was pretty obvious that someone would do something stupid with all of the vitriol and hatred in the air following the Keegan debacle. I don't remember Ashley saying he received police advice so, by extension, Northumbria Police making a statement saying that they haven't offered advice doesn't dispute the claims made at the time.

I would be very surprised if Ashley hadn't been advised (from a number of people) not to go anywhere near SJP with or without his kids.

Guest malandro

I suspect some tit did make a threat.  I doubt he would have just made it up, how credible it was is another question. However it was out of order to issue a statement that tarred all NUFC supporters. It always boils down to respect with Ashley, or to be precise a lack of it. From the way he treated Keegan to the renaming of the ground, a lack of respect has been the hallmark of his time at SJP and for as long this continues hell be loathed by many.

It's out of order for the SkySportsNews mongs to tarnish all of us with their "WER GANNA WIN THE LEEEEEEEGE LYKE!!!!!" rhetoric, but at the end of the day that's how these things work.

It was pretty obvious that someone would do something stupid with all of the vitriol and hatred in the air following the Keegan debacle. I don't remember Ashley saying he received police advice so, by extension, Northumbria Police making a statement saying that they haven't offered advice doesn't dispute the claims made at the time.

I would be very surprised if Ashley hadn't been advised (from a number of people) not to go anywhere near SJP with or without his kids.

Then again they did admit to lying to supporters for PR purposes as part of the KK Tribunal. Who’s to say they aren’t lying about this. There isn’t after all a single shred of evidence in the public domain to back up their accusation.

Guest Milburnthedog

Not that many seasons ago we were regular UEFA competitors and the occasional CL Qualifiers, made Cup Finals and Semi Finals and had a team capable of providing the 'top' teams with a good game home and away. Now the expectation has been lowered sufficiently enough that a net spend of a couple of million and an expectation os survival in the Premier will be good enough.

Thats how far we've fallen. I won't forgive Ashley and his cronies and will celebrate if/when a new owner arrives (providing they have enough wonga to make us compete once again).

Not that many seasons ago we were regular UEFA competitors and the occasional CL Qualifiers, made Cup Finals and Semi Finals and had a team capable of providing the 'top' teams with a good game home and away. Now the expectation has been lowered sufficiently enough that a net spend of a couple of million and an expectation os survival in the Premier will be good enough.

Thats how far we've fallen. I won't forgive Ashley and his cronies and will celebrate if/when a new owner arrives (providing they have enough wonga to make us compete once again).

We weren't flying high when he took over tbf.  Plus looking at the accounts then w'd have had to either have a massive firesale at somepoint in the next couple of seasons or be in administration.

We weren't flying high when he took over tbf.  Plus looking at the accounts then w'd have had to either have a massive firesale at somepoint in the next couple of seasons or be in administration.

Very likely. Although there are still some who think everything would have been alright if the previous regime had stayed in charge I cannot see how.

When you consider that in the summer of 2007 the credit crunch was about a year away, the club had just racked up a loss of £30 million and all our debt was owed to external lenders a takeover was a godsend. Ashley bought a club that was technically insolvent with a team that had limped to 14th place in the league. That he subsequently grossly mismanaged his asset can't really be disputed - but then so had the previous regime. Most football club owners/boards of directors are unpopular. Their mistakes are never forgotten and they don't do what the fans want most of the time. Ashley probably won't ever be truly liked or trusted by the majority. Shepherd was regarded with contempt by most fans even during the good years of SBR, its the way of the world.

Guest malandro

Very likely. Although there are still some who think everything would have been alright if the previous regime had stayed in charge I cannot see how.

When you consider that in the summer of 2007 the credit crunch was about a year away, the club had just racked up a loss of £30 million and all our debt was owed to external lenders a takeover was a godsend. Ashley bought a club that was technically insolvent with a team that had limped to 14th place in the league. That he subsequently grossly mismanaged his asset can't really be disputed - but then so had the previous regime. Most football club owners/boards of directors are unpopular. Their mistakes are never forgotten and they don't do what the fans want most of the time. Ashley probably won't ever be truly liked or trusted by the majority. Shepherd was regarded with contempt by most fans even during the good years of SBR, its the way of the world.

He paid £135m for a club you tell us was technically insolvent. An idiotic move for which we’ve been paying the price ever since.

He paid £135m for a club you tell us was technically insolvent. An idiotic move for which we’ve been paying the price ever since.

Sort of - but some of what the club has been paying for has been a direct result of poor decisions by Ashley and/or his posse since the takeover.

The initial sale was a very bad deal for Ashley and a fantastic deal for the previous owners - other possible buyers had been in and had a good look at it (one of them even completed due diligence) but no one bit presumably because they did not like what they saw. There was no one else around who seemed to want to buy it until Ashley did so without having much of an idea of what he was buying. But the question remains as to how the club could have financed itself out of the mess it was in without a new owner who could pay for past errors (as well as those of his own making).

Guest malandro

Sort of - but some of what the club has been paying for has been a direct result of poor decisions by Ashley and/or his posse since the takeover.

The initial sale was a very bad deal for Ashley and a fantastic deal for the previous owners - other possible buyers had been in and had a good look at it (one of them even completed due diligence) but no one bit presumably because they did not like what they saw. There was no one else around who seemed to want to buy it until Ashley did so without having much of an idea of what he was buying. But the question remains as to how the club could have financed itself out of the mess it was in without a new owner who could pay for past errors (as well as those of his own making).

And it’s a question that can never be answered. However, if Ashley had done his homework and paid a sensible sum for the club (say £35m) he could have used the other £100m to clear the debts at the time of purchase. Thereby achieving in a stroke what we are now apparently hoping to achieve in about four years time.

The scale and impact of Ashley rash purchase can’t be underestimated. It was the mother of all fuck ups.