Kevin Nolan

Taylor Swift

I still forget that Nolan's 28. A new four-year-deal is fair enough imo, even though i think it'll be a bit of a travesty if we haven't replaced him as an automatic starter within two of them.

He's been vital this season, and i think he'll be important next season to. It really does just depend on how long his legs hold out after that. The stuff about him being 'fat' is obviously bollocks, but it doesn't take a genius to see that he doesn't have the best pace and stamina around. If he starts to lose that he'll start to lose his movement and positioning aswell - which is what he's all about (from a purely technical perspective).

Maybe he'll improve it - who knows? Barton's got superb stamina for a thirty-year-old.

But i'm happy having Nolan here, as Captain, to welcome new players into the squad for the next four years. I don't think it'll do any harm.

It'll eat a hole in our wage budget if he's not playing for us.

Guest Heneage

We let Gary Speed go at 34 and he carried on till he was 41. A 4 year contract would take him to 32 which as Yorkie said is about right as his game is based on positioning and finishing.

We let Gary Speed go at 34 and he carried on till he was 41. A 4 year contract would take him to 32 which as Yorkie said is about right as his game is based on positioning and finishing.

I'd be disappointed in 4 years time if we  haven't progressed enough as a club, for Nolan to be starting games for us.

Guest Heneage

Couldn't agree more. That was our problem with Speed though we assumed that just because his participation would be diminished he wouldn't serve any benefit. Nolan's done a good amount of work off the pitch this season as well.

I'd be disappointed in 4 years time if we  haven't progressed enough as a club, for Nolan to be starting games for us.

i'm sure the player himself said as much not too long ago.

Couldn't agree more. That was our problem with Speed though we assumed that just because his participation would be diminished he wouldn't serve any benefit. Nolan's done a good amount of work off the pitch this season as well.

Firstly, alot has been made in this thread about Nolan's influence off the pitch. How does anyone know exactly what effect Nolan has on those around him off the pitch? Surely only the other players will know that, and that'll be a private matter that will only be discussed between themselves and their close friends/family. For all we know they might hate him or laugh at him behind his back. It feels to me like some people like the player's contribution on the pitch, like his interviews, and therefore assume that this carries over into areas like leadership, presence, influence, etc etc. Furthermore, why is Nolan being singled out for this praise? Why not Smith, or Barton, or whoever else is in this senior-player powergroup or whatever it's called? Should we extend Smith's contract because he's also a great influence on the [insert whatever term you want as there's no way to substantiate it - I'll choose world]?

Secondly, how important is it having figureheads like Speed, Nolan, etc at the club in the first place? Remember the lost and out-of-control dressing room Sir Bobby supposedly had towards the end of his reign here? That was when Shearer and Speed were at the club. Fat load of good it did having them around to teach these naughty youngsters how to be professionals. We didn't really have a leader on or off the pitch during the peak of the Keegan era (Beardsley/Lee were just good footballers), yet we were still a cracking team. IMO too much is made of the influence of players off the pitch - at the end of the day it's talent that wins games, so that needs to take priority. We had supposed leaders and model pro's in the dressing room when we were relegated last time round (Owen, Butt, Nolan, Smith), didn't do anything to help.

As long as Nolan keeps scoring, he should keep his place in the first team for now. The aim beyond this season and maybe the next should be to replace him in the first team with someone more mobile to reduce our severe reliance on Tiote for having an effective Premiership central midfield, and more creativity to then supply the additional forwards/attackers we should be looking to bring in. "Leadership", whatever that means, should could from the manager and, assuming the armband means anything, the captain (which should really be Coloccini next season). IMO that's all that's needed, with talent/ability/fitness being the defining factors behind whether the team is good or not. There's no need for, nor room for, sentimentality in the game, and certainly there will always be good teams who play good football without having this mystical off-pitch-father-figure cuddling the bad boys during training sessions (e.g. ManU certainly didn't fall apart when Keane left, though I realise this statement will be picked on because ManU still had good players when he left. Which is kind of the point...).

Guest Heneage

If every player was conscientious enough to produce a brochure like Michael transfers would take half the time. 

I still forget that Nolan's 28. A new four-year-deal is fair enough imo, even though i think it'll be a bit of a travesty if we haven't replaced him as an automatic starter within two of them.

He's been vital this season, and i think he'll be important next season to. It really does just depend on how long his legs hold out after that. The stuff about him being 'fat' is obviously bollocks, but it doesn't take a genius to see that he doesn't have the best pace and stamina around. If he starts to lose that he'll start to lose his movement and positioning aswell - which is what he's all about (from a purely technical perspective).

Maybe he'll improve it - who knows? Barton's got superb stamina for a thirty-year-old.

But i'm happy having Nolan here, as Captain, to welcome new players into the squad for the next four years. I don't think it'll do any harm.

It'll eat a hole in our wage budget if he's not playing for us.

Well yeah, but so does every player that's not a permanent fixture in the side. It's simply the cost of having strength in depth; do you suggest we scrap squad players altogether? I get what you're saying cos it's about time we rid of shite like Smith and Guthrie - those who just gobble up wages for no return. But i think it's a different kettle of fish with the likes of Nolan.

Firstly, alot has been made in this thread about Nolan's influence off the pitch. How does anyone know exactly what effect Nolan has on those around him off the pitch? Surely only the other players will know that, and that'll be a private matter that will only be discussed between themselves and their close friends/family. For all we know they might hate him or laugh at him behind his back. It feels to me like some people like the player's contribution on the pitch, like his interviews, and therefore assume that this carries over into areas like leadership, presence, influence, etc etc. Furthermore, why is Nolan being singled out for this praise? Why not Smith, or Barton, or whoever else is in this senior-player powergroup or whatever it's called? Should we extend Smith's contract because he's also a great influence on the [insert whatever term you want as there's no way to substantiate it - I'll choose world]?

Secondly, how important is it having figureheads like Speed, Nolan, etc at the club in the first place? Remember the lost and out-of-control dressing room Sir Bobby supposedly had towards the end of his reign here? That was when Shearer and Speed were at the club. Fat load of good it did having them around to teach these naughty youngsters how to be professionals. We didn't really have a leader on or off the pitch during the peak of the Keegan era (Beardsley/Lee were just good footballers), yet we were still a cracking team. IMO too much is made of the influence of players off the pitch - at the end of the day it's talent that wins games, so that needs to take priority. We had supposed leaders and model pro's in the dressing room when we were relegated last time round (Owen, Butt, Nolan, Smith), didn't do anything to help.

:fishing: surely? else :facepalm:

Captain Kevin Nolan maintains confidence within the Newcastle United squad has not been affected by last Saturday's 4-0 defeat at Stoke City.

"We're not getting carried away by this result. We've stuck together, the fans have stuck with us, and we've got to show the passion they have shown for us."

"It's unbelievable we've got another two week break, we have four or five games around the Christmas period, and then we only play two games in a month."

"We've got to make sure we're right for the next game."

Captain Kevin Nolan maintains confidence within the Newcastle United squad has not been affected by last Saturday's 4-0 defeat at Stoke City.

"We're not getting carried away by this result. We've stuck together, the fans have stuck with us, and we've got to show the passion they have shown for us."

"It's unbelievable we've got another two week break, we have four or five games around the Christmas period, and then we only play two games in a month."

It's not unbelievable that we've only got 2 games in a month, that's what happens when you go out of the cup to Stevenage.

Giving Nolan a new contract is the biggest indicator you could wish for that Ashley wants to build a cheap club which will do just enough to avoid relegation every season. He might not contribute to bettering the style and flow of the team but his goals will probably get us enough points to keep us up while at the same time ensuring we can never be a team aiming for the top echelons. Because no decent ball playing side will ever buy Nolan. Ever.

It's not unbelievable that we've only got 2 games in a month, that's what happens when you go out of the cup to Stevenage.

Mick is on a roll :lol:

Love it.

Speed at 41 could run more than Nolan currently does now.

Bolton were a shit club who over-achieved due to long ball tactics exploited by Fat Sam with a much fitter Nolan as a key part of his set piece percentage game. Since we have bought Nolan from them which club has moved forward despite having far less resources?

Bolton were a s*** club who over-achieved due to long ball tactics exploited by Fat Sam with a much fitter Nolan as a key part of his set piece percentage game. Since we have bought Nolan from them which club has moved forward despite having far less resources?

Aye, and it's all Kevin Nolan's fault :lol:

Giving Nolan a new contract is the biggest indicator you could wish for that Ashley wants to build a cheap club which will do just enough to avoid relegation every season.

Nolan is on an estimated 50k a year, giving him a new contract is far from cheap.

He's been vital, but I cannot see him being a regular next season. His mobility  suffers because he's too fat and too slow. And his  passing is inaccurate. In fact, he doesn't have a single ability required for an offensive midfielder. He's a genius inside the box, but only on set pieces and in  the play that subsequently follows, where we have many people inside the box and are able to keep up the pressure. In spite of all his faults, he's managed to score 11 goals. That should say something about his potential. If only he could have been more dedicated, like Bale (no drinking, junk food). He's not worth 50 a week unless he gets into shape. But I'd love to see him signing a  long term contract that's not as lucrative. He's an excellent person to have in the team.