Kevin Nolan

Taylor Swift

Just from my views of where you're at currently and I've probably missed some points: it would be an awful move to get rid of Nolan and Barton. Yes, in the long-term it's nice to have a picture of a team with better players than them but for the position you're at in the present, they are essential players for your progress. Changing the team dramatically this summer would be rash to say the least and hence I'd advise yous to hold onto Nolan and Barton at all reasonable costs.

I've seen a lot of predictions on here about how your aim for next year is to move up a few places and push for the top 7. I'm not saying that's an entirely unrealistic aim but just as likely at this moment in time is a couple of wrong decisions and progress is stifled, and you could end up moving backwards. This is a big summer for you not for wholesale changes but for keeping the squad together, getting a few players in (namely a good striker at least) and certainly not getting rid of 2 of your most influential players.

Just from my views of where you're at currently and I've probably missed some points: it would be an awful move to get rid of Nolan and Barton. Yes, in the long-term it's nice to have a picture of a team with better players than them but for the position you're at in the present, they are essential players for your progress. Changing the team dramatically this summer would be rash to say the least and hence I'd advise yous to hold onto Nolan and Barton at all reasonable costs.

I've seen a lot of predictions on here about how your aim for next year is to move up a few places and push for the top 7. I'm not saying that's an entirely unrealistic aim but just as likely at this moment in time is a couple of wrong decisions and progress is stifled, and you could end up moving backwards. This is a big summer for you not for wholesale changes but for keeping the squad together, getting a few players in (namely a good striker at least) and certainly not getting rid of 2 of your most influential players.

Nobody is saying get rid of both of them this summer.

I never said it boiled down to foreigners vs English, which should be fairly fucking obvious. Players who have a clear affiliation for the club, whether it be Barton, Nolan or Solano are more likely to put their foot in, chase down a lost cause in the last minute, inspire the other players and that makes these players absolutely essential. Do you trust Cabaye to drag us out of a rut when the chips are down? Personally I wouldn't know because I've never seen a second of him in action and therefore replacing Barton or Nolan with him is a massive gamble. It shouldn't be him in and them out, he should be coming in to compliment, not replace and the amount of people happy to see the latter happen is frightening.

The idea of a Man Utd squad under Ferguson built mainly on foreign players or flair players is absolutely laughable. Arsenal's squad is supremely talented but until they get some spine and bottle in there, they will not win anything, their goal is not like ours at the moment, it is to win and they are failing miserably since Campbell, Vieira, Seaman, Parlour, Keown have left. I can't believe I'm having to explain this again, it really is astonishingly simple stuff.

Letting Barton and Nolan go this summer would be yet another ridiculous gamble.

It would be nice to be able to sign a blank cheque to keep everyone on long extended contracts and buy lots more expensive players at the same time. Unfortunately that doesn't happen anywhere without arab/russian billionaire owners. If there's a limit on the spending how do you propose we recruit new players at the same time as handing out long contracts to the likes of Nolan and Barton? Don't bid for Gervinho and bid for someone £4m cheaper so we can hand that money to the players already here?

Why is there a limit on spending when we've just sold the family silver for £35m?

Keeping your main first team players and buying new ones doesn't happen anywhere else? Righto.

So you're happy to blow the money we got for Carroll on long term deals for Nolan and Barton?

How are we supposed to progress doing that?

Fucking hell, how much are we planning on paying them? :lol:

I don't think we give them it all in one lump sum btw. Not sure, so correct me if I'm wrong.

As someone pointed out 4 years is worth £10.4 million, so presuming both were on £50k per week  then to give them both a 2 year extension that is what it will cost us.

As for paying it all at once, I haven't suggested we were, it was you who brought up the Carroll money in relation to us having a limit on spending.

If the club wants to move forward then it will need better than these two and we can't afford squad players to be sat on the bench earning £50k per week.

We've afforded Smith and Xisco for long enough. Who signed those clowns?

What's your point? :doh:

You asked me this before. Do I even have to have one?

But generally, the point is the hypocrisy and stupid, reckless decision-making of the club. Despite numerous incidents of clueless behaviour, so many expect them to become footballing geniuses when it comes to replacing our best players, trading up and paying less every time. It baffles me.

I was just wondering if it really was just a cheap shot or if I'd missed the point :)

Bit of both. :razz:

Not giving them contract does that, though.

Which is why I didn't point out any particular statement. I'm just emphasising in my view what a disastrous move it would be. God knows what Ashley's thinking.

They are out of contract this summer?

No it bloody doesn't. Certainly not with Nolan.  :dowie:

Guest sicko2ndbest

I think the club have them By the short and curlies tbh

Only a QPR type club could afford to give them a 4 year deal with a transfer fee. Not exactly a step up!

I think Nolan and Barton have to be looked at as separate cases.  Nolan is a model professional.  For all his physical faults, he's the player other players look up to plus he has a knack for being in the right place at the right time.  He's been consistent and the intangibles he brings to the dressing room and the pitch are worth a premium.  

As much as I appreciate what Joey Barton brought to the pitch last year, he's no Kevin Nolan.  Last year was the only good full year he's given the club and while he's made great strides in his personal life the fact that he's been known to pop off about the England team in the manner that he did still make me believe that he still has unresolved issues that could undermine his performance.  He's in the last year of his contract and if he wants to land another good one, he has to play well again this year and keep his reputation intact.  

Were I running the club I'd sit Nolan down, tell him how much I appreciate his influence and ask him to let things get sorted out over the next year and revisit an extension prior to the last year of his contract.  Then I'd tell Barton that I'd need to see him duplicate last season's effort before I offered him a new deal.  

You don't build a team around a guy like Nolan with his age, mobility and what he brings to the team.

Carroll was the guy we should have built the team around, but with him gone we're just going to have to wait until September 1st to see what the masterplan is. I look forward to seeing if Pardew's any good in the market as with Graham Carr we have a really good pair of eyes to judge players with.

Guest MrSundlofer

Kevin Nolan, the best captain we have had since Alan Shearer? He's experienced, vocal on the pitch and a leader - every team needs that kind of players on the pitch... And he score goals.

Hope we / they can sort it out somehow.

I can understand where you're coming from but I think handing out longer contracts where there's no need would mean us probably cutting a couple of players from our wanted list this season. I like the calibre of players we are looking at and if giving out extended contracts to Nolan and Barton means we lose them then I can't agree with it.

It god damn doesn't need to be sorted out though. He has 2 years left FFS! There's literally thousands of players in Europe who currently have 2 years remaining on their deals, they are not being 'sorted out'.

I expect Nolan and Barton to be important players for us next season like they were last, but I think with the signings we're aiming at we'll be less reliant on them, and the year after that even less so which is why I'm fine with giving them extensions, but not on anywhere near their current wages.

Guest MrSundlofer

It god damn doesn't need to be sorted out though. He has 2 years left FFS! There's literally thousands of players in Europe who currently have 2 years remaining on their deals, they are not being 'sorted out'.

This situation needs to be sorted out, yes.

I expect Nolan and Barton to be important players for us next season like they were last, but I think with the signings we're aiming at we'll be less reliant on them, and the year after that even less so which is why I'm fine with giving them extensions, but not on anywhere near their current wages.

:thup: