Kevin Nolan

Taylor Swift

Not sure what to make of all of this. Would be gutted to see him leave after all he's represented these past two seasons, but also couldn't support him if he is asking for a pay-rise and a five year contract, despite the contribution he has made recently. Obviously I've no idea what is actually going on in the discussions between him and the club.

Very difficult situation to find ourselves in after he's just had a storming season and is now the club captain. You'd think he would hold all the cards coming from that position, but his age is obviously playing against him - as is the fact that the powers that be possibly (and maybe rightly) see him as someone who doesn't fit into the long-term vision of NUFC.

It's a huge gamble to look to offload and replace such big cornerstones of our recent resurgence in him and Barton with younger, "better" (and cheaper?) players from the continent, but if it pays off I can't see too many people harking back to "the good old days" of having Kev and Joey in the team. Massive shame though, given that they are two of the main reasons why I actually "like" us as a club again these days. To borrow a cliche from the Championship season, they have injected a lot of dignity back into the place with their performances on the pitch and leadership off it.

Overall, can't help feeling that there's a compromise to be had somewhere here, and I hope it's found. As I said about Guthrie a while ago, there are quite a few players we should be pushing out of the door before he goes - I'd include Barton in that for Nolan's case, too.

Not sure what to make of all of this. Would be gutted to see him leave after all he's represented these past two seasons, but also couldn't support him if he is asking for a pay-rise and a five year contract, despite the contribution he has made recently. Obviously I've no idea what is actually going on in the discussions between him and the club.

Very difficult situation to find ourselves in after he's just had a storming season and is now the club captain. You'd think he would hold all the cards coming from that position, but his age is obviously playing against him - as is the fact that the powers that be possibly (and maybe rightly) see him as someone who doesn't fit into the long-term vision of NUFC.

It's a huge gamble to look to offload and replace such big cornerstones of our recent resurgence in him and Barton with younger, "better" (and cheaper?) players from the continent, but if it pays off I can't see too many people harking back to "the good old days" of having Kev and Joey in the team. Massive shame though, given that they are two of the main reasons why I actually "like" us as a club again these days. To borrow a cliche from the Championship season, they have injected a lot of dignity back into the place with their performances on the pitch and leadership off it.

Overall, can't help feeling that there's a compromise to be had somewhere here, and I hope it's found. As I said about Guthrie a while ago, there are quite a few players we should be pushing out of the door before he goes - I'd include Barton in that for Nolan's case, too.

That's the best summary of the situation i've seen so far, agree entirely. Particularly the part in bold. Maybe it's unfashionable to attach yourselves to certain players, but sentimentality is a huge part of football - and one of the chief reasons we keep going back every week. He's a good and likeable captain and i don't want to see him go.

Why would Nolan want to drop a division anyway?

IF we can get a decent fee then yeah I would be okay with selling him

he needs to be replaced though, and i dont mean cabaye. he needs to be replaced by a goal scoring midfielder, we cant keep relying on kids when we get the inevitable injury pile up

he needs to be replaced though, and i dont mean cabaye. he needs to be replaced by a goal scoring midfielder, we cant keep relying on kids when we get the inevitable injury pile up

What he needs is to stay. He wants to play for Newcastle, he has passion, he's a leader, a good bloke and can score ( a lot of) goals.

Not only that, he is the only proper leader I can see in our squad. There is a reason he is captain! Very difficult to replace that and I think it's being very underestimated on here.

What he needs is to stay. He wants to play for Newcastle, he has passion, he's a leader, a good bloke and can score ( a lot of) goals.

yeah, i'd much rather we kept him

I agree that the noises in the media suggest he'll be on his way sooner rather than later which I think is sad. He's been a vital part to the club over the last two years and has been an excellent captain. Ashley seems intent on letting him go though so what can we do. I also think it's nailed on we'll start the season with a smaller squad than we had last year!

All good points made BUT he won't be in the starting 11 and YES strength in depth is needed, however I see him going in January when he has hardly kicked a ball for us and we then only get 1 month in a tricky window to replace him.

We may as well cash in now whilst there is time to get a younger decent CM in.

IF we do get Zoggy then we would have

Tiote

Cabaye

Barton

Guthrie

Gosling

Zoggy

That's a decent amount of CM's and even with those it means Barton sitting on the bench if we go with a Tiote - Cabaye  CM partnership

Hope the powers that be can come to a compromise with Nolans agent and i think we will all be alot happier ,Nolan has said he doesnt have a right to be first choice as thats how football is and i think we all agree he is better for the squad him being here including Barton .