Kevin Nolan

Taylor Swift

As for this "he scored 12 goals". That was superb. I doubt he'd repeat it for us mind.

And again, a question which seems to be going missed/ignored. Where's all these Premier League clubs going for him? I said yesterday he'd be perfect for Stoke, their style of play would prolong his career to mid 30s and he'd still get 6-8 a season just off being a nuisance from set-pieces. Well West Ham under Big Sam will probably be similar and another reason why I reckon he's more than happy to go there rather than stay and benchwarm for us.

What does it matter who's in for him? It's by no-means a sign of how good a player is.

So he's not good enough for 19 other Premier League sides, but he's so important to us? I worry about our club if we're that reliant on a 29 year old who's probably had his indian summer.

Similar to when Neil Redfearn got about 10 goals for Barnsley in the Premier League, or when Hutchison got a similar number for Sunderland when they had one of their good seasons before he disappeared from the face of the earth.

I'll always have fond memories for Nolan for what he did to the club, but if we're going to finish top 6 anytime soon, it's not going to be if we're so heavily reliant on the likes of Nolan.

How do you know he's not good enough for 19 other Premier League sides like?

Tiote's good enough for the majority of the PL, but I don't see them all lining up to sign him. It doesn't mean owt man - I don't need Bolton or Stoke to tell me that i want to keep Nolan. I know it.

Except he isn't Redfearn, or Hutchinson. He's Kevin Nolan. His own man, his own player. There's nothing to say how many PL goals he'd get next term.

I don't see Tiote signing for a championship team either tbf.

Bellamy? He'd walk into half of the teams in the PL, yet signed for Cardiff last summer.

surely the signing of Cabaye allows Nolan to be sold

Bit of a PR mistake from the club not doing this sale and the Cabaye signing the other way round.

Obviously there's also the issue of overall squad strength, but then again we have Gosling and Ben Arfa who hardly kicked a ball last season.

I'm sorry to see Nolan go, but the meltdown is a bit premature.

Guest WashyGeordie

Pardew mentioned Nolan in the other thread stating that Cabaye would be great to fit in alongside him (along with Barton i think)

So i reckon we're going to get a replacement for Nolan on top of Cabaye.

Where is all of this "he won't be able to repeat his goalscoring form next season" coming from? Why wouldn't he? I'm honestly astonished that so many people on here are rejoicing in the fact we've sold our best goal scorer for peanuts. How the fuck are we going to progress as a club when we just seem to be needlessly dismantling the core of our squad? Unbelievable. 

Well Carroll's not here for a start so that's a fair reason to suppose he won't be as prolific again in the premier.

Where is all of this "he won't be able to repeat his goalscoring form next season" coming from? Why wouldn't he? I'm honestly astonished that so many people on here are rejoicing in the fact we've sold our best goal scorer for peanuts. How the fuck are we going to progress as a club when we just seem to be needlessly dismantling the core of our squad? Unbelievable. 

There's no guarantee that he would score as many goals, but apparently there is a guarantee that Cabaye will be better and without Nolan we're a better side (even though the most recent statistics point to exactly the opposite). :dontknow:

Hopefully that is the case (and especially now we have no choice) but I think people are being a bit simplistic about it.

Not as simplistic as you're trying to make it sound.

Bit of a PR mistake from the club not doing this sale and the Cabaye signing the other way round.

Which would be great, if teams only needed 11 players.

As for this "he scored 12 goals". That was superb. I doubt he'd repeat it for us mind.

And again, a question which seems to be going missed/ignored. Where's all these Premier League clubs going for him? I said yesterday he'd be perfect for Stoke, their style of play would prolong his career to mid 30s and he'd still get 6-8 a season just off being a nuisance from set-pieces. Well West Ham under Big Sam will probably be similar and another reason why I reckon he's more than happy to go there rather than stay and benchwarm for us.

What does it matter who's in for him? It's by no-means a sign of how good a player is.

So he's not good enough for 19 other Premier League sides, but he's so important to us? I worry about our club if we're that reliant on a 29 year old who's probably had his indian summer.

Similar to when Neil Redfearn got about 10 goals for Barnsley in the Premier League, or when Hutchison got a similar number for Sunderland when they had one of their good seasons before he disappeared from the face of the earth.

I'll always have fond memories for Nolan for what he did to the club, but if we're going to finish top 6 anytime soon, it's not going to be if we're so heavily reliant on the likes of Nolan.

Tiote's good enough for the majority of the PL, but I don't see them all lining up to sign him. It doesn't mean owt man - I don't need Bolton or Stoke to tell me that i want to keep Nolan. I know it.

Except he isn't Redfearn, or Hutchinson. He's Kevin Nolan. His own man, his own player. There's nothing to say how many PL goals he'd get next term.

Bellamy? He'd walk into half of the teams in the PL, yet signed for Cardiff last summer.

Citeh restricted who he could sign for though. Pretty sure he would have gone to Spurs if Citeh had allowed it

Citeh restricted who he could sign for though. Pretty sure he would have gone to Spurs if Citeh had allowed it

Doubt City would have stopped him going to any team outside the top six like.

If we upgrade,as Nut is saying,what's the point of paying Nolan 24 months of his salary?

When the upgrade breaks his leg and the alternative is Alan Smith.

I imagine Gosling,Guthrie would be ahead of him.

Yeah, I edited to address that, it's a fair point.

He chose to go there on loan as it was his boyhood club and had offers from other Premiership clubs.

Completely different to Nolan.

Yeah, I edited to address that, it's a fair point.

:thup:

Where is all of this "he won't be able to repeat his goalscoring form next season" coming from? Why wouldn't he? I'm honestly astonished that so many people on here are rejoicing in the fact we've sold our best goal scorer for peanuts. How the f*** are we going to progress as a club when we just seem to be needlessly dismantling the core of our squad? Unbelievable. 

There's no guarantee that he would score as many goals, but apparently there is a guarantee that Cabaye will be better and without Nolan we're a better side (even though the most recent statistics point to exactly the opposite). :dontknow:

Hopefully that is the case (and especially now we have no choice) but I think people are being a bit simplistic about it.

It's worth the risk of replacing him with a French international midfielder who has just come in from the league winners in France. No gurantees for sure, but worth the risk. Especially if playing it safe is giving Nolan a 4/5 year deal, or whatever he was asking for. I can never remember. Very cheeky guy.

Pardew mentioned Nolan in the other thread stating that Cabaye would be great to fit in alongside him (along with Barton i think)

seem like different players too, Cabaye comes across as more like a deep lying playmaker going from the 3 games i've seen him in. Him and Tiote sitting back with a more attacking midfielder ahead of them would work well, just have to go out and sign that player now.

If we upgrade,as Nut is saying,what's the point of paying Nolan 24 months of his salary?

Because we should be building on what we've got, and building up the squad, competiton for places. Of course Nolan could have played plenty of games next season imo, injuries/suspensions/form... If we had to sell him to free some funds from his wage then that dosent sound promosing finanically.

Where is all of this "he won't be able to repeat his goalscoring form next season" coming from? Why wouldn't he? I'm honestly astonished that so many people on here are rejoicing in the fact we've sold our best goal scorer for peanuts. How the f*** are we going to progress as a club when we just seem to be needlessly dismantling the core of our squad? Unbelievable. 

There's no guarantee but you get the feeling he will. That's like saying don't sell Lovenkrands or Shola because there's no guarantees Erdinc will score 6 goals or whatever.

seem like different players too, Cabaye comes across as more like a deep lying playmaker going from the 3 games i've seen him in. Him and Tiote sitting back with a more attacking midfielder ahead of them would work well, just have to go out and sign that player now.

Can see it being Ben Arfa.

It's worth the risk of replacing him with a French international midfielder who has just come in from the league winners in France. No gurantees for sure, but worth the risk. Especially if playing it safe is giving Nolan a 4/5 year deal, or whatever he was asking for. I can never remember. Very cheeky guy.

Fuck me, not again. Find someone who believes we should give him a new four or five year deal. Anyone. Otherwise GTFO with that straw man.

Because we should be building on what we've got, and building up the squad, competiton for places. Of course Nolan could have played plenty of games next season imo, injuries/suspensions/form... If we had to sell him to free some funds from his wage then that dosent sound promosing finanically.

Aye, people talk about "squad players" like they're never going to see a football pitch.

Would be nice to be able to mount a cup run by having a squad that could cope with it but why bother with trying to win anything when you can try and survive instead?

Aye, people talk about "squad players" like they're never going to see a football pitch.

Would be nice to be able to mount a cup run by having a squad that could cope with it but why bother with trying to win anything when you can try and survive instead?

Compared to last season, we're Nolan down, Cabaye, Ben Arfa & Gosling up.

Fuck me, not again. Find someone who believes we should give him a new four or five year deal. Anyone. Otherwise GTFO with that straw man.

I tried arguing that it was better to sell him now than let him run his contract and resale value down, but that didn't seem to have much success!

f*** me, not again. Find someone who believes we should give him a new four or five year deal. Anyone. Otherwise GTFO with that straw man.

What was the alternative. It seems he has requested a move if the contract wasn't given right? Would forcing him to stay have been wise? Him and Barton are at the age where you chase that final deal of your career, and so want that security. Hence all the fuss I presumed. 

MsiDouglas Mark Douglas

2 sides to every story I suppose. Had Nolan REALLY wanted to stay for life, there was a good contract offer there. He chose to leave

:undecided:

Douglas is s***-stirring :frantic: