Kevin Nolan

Taylor Swift

Having one of the 'old guard' as our figurehead delays the professionalization of the squad. The one thing Newcastle United desperately needs is a change in the attitudes of its staff.

Nice post, except for the bit quoted above :facepalm: Kevin Nolan is the radical change in attitude from the 'old guard' - he's not one of them. For far too long we've had a collection of individuals, only brought together by the fact that the same company pays their wages. Nolan may not have embraced the 'European lifestyle' but he epitomises someone who is a TEAM player.

This is the point we've been alluding to/stating the obvious over the past couple of months.

No, Nolan isn't one of our 10 'best' players (on an individual study) but, for all of his glaring deficiencies, he has untangibles that go unnoticed by the majority. Which is why I find him worthy of a place in our team and definitely the club captain.

Long may he continue to score goals and shove two fingers up to the whingers.

I'll be interested to see how he performs against Sunderland this weekend, because Nolan for me is similar to the players the Mackem team used to be full of when they were yo yo-ing between the leagues a few seasons back. That is, hard-working, honest grafters who couldn't compete with the quality teams but gave it 100%.

Sunderland have moved on since then and their team looks faster and more athletic than ours under Bruce and they are getting good results against quality teams. I'm hoping that our great team spirit will give us the edge but I have a feeling they will end up looking the better team. If Nolan ends up bossing that game then I will be happy to give him the credit for it.

Guest neesy111

Aye, and he had the most shots on target. 84. In fact, the only player in Europe with more shots on target this weekend was Lionel Messi, who managed a staggering 324 shots on target, scoring twice.

It's 1 point for a completed pass.  More for other stuff, maybe you should actually check it out.

I'll be interested to see how he performs against Sunderland this weekend, because Nolan for me is similar to the players the Mackem team used to be full of when they were yo yo-ing between the leagues a few seasons back. That is, hard-working, honest grafters who couldn't compete with the quality teams but gave it 100%.

Sunderland have moved on since then and their team looks faster and more athletic than ours under Bruce and they are getting good results against quality teams. I'm hoping that our great team spirit will give us the edge but I have a feeling they will end up looking the better team. If Nolan ends up bossing that game then I will be happy to give him the credit for it.

The only Sunderland player I'd even consider comparing Nolan to, was Don Hutchison during the 2000-1 season where he got into double figures and they finished 7th. I'd settle for that I think.

The only Sunderland player I'd even consider comparing Nolan to, was Don Hutchison during the 2000-1 season where he got into double figures and they finished 7th. I'd settle for that I think.

Dirty Don was actually a very good player 1999-2001 - in fact I would be tempted to say that he was better than Nolan is now. PLayed well for Scotland as well.

Don Hutchinson wasn't slow. I wasn't really comparing players styles in any case, just from what I've seen Bruce seems to have added a bit of athleticism into the Sunderland side, especially the forwards. No idea what their central midfield are like, Cattermole and Cana maybe are not much better than Nolan in this regard so we might have an interesting contest.

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

Cana left in the summer mate. Riveros (Paraguayan) now.

What's he like then?

When I've seen him he looked off the pace and slow.

Cana left in the summer mate. Riveros (Paraguayan) now.

What's he like then?

When I've seen him he looked off the pace and slow.

Looked on the sunderland forum and didn't see his name mentioned in the team they expect to be starting.

Fucking anonymous tonight, Arsenal ran the midfield in the first half and I didn't see him put a challenge in. Needs to be droppped.

Funnily enough I thought Vucik showed exactly what we have been missing in our midfield area, strong running, pace and ability to link with the forwards. Our first chance in the early minutes when he raced from midfield to latch onto Ranger's superb hold up play was a prime example. Unfortunately their enthusiasm wasn't matched by Lovenkrands and Guthrie, and Smith despite his best efforts just isn't capable of keeping up with top level midfielders.