Jonás Gutiérrez (now managing Club Almagro)

Crumpy Gunt

Why are people comparing Robert to Jonas ffs. There is no comparison.

In the sense that the fan's get on Jonas' back like they did with Robert. Two frustrating players. Does something poor in the game and you can hear the abusive shout outs and groans go right through the ground.

The two of them combined would be one of the best LW's in the world.

Robert was one of the best LWs in the world.

Would agree on this, though I got laughed at by quite a few friends when I said it.  Imagine if we had a LW now that would score 8-10 goals a season and around 20 assists with Carroll upfront.

Ask them to name 10 better ones during his peak. You'll get silence.

Pires, Giggs, Ronaldinho, Nedved at least. Feel like im missing someone. I agree somewhat, and I'll rephrase: The two of them combined would arguably be the best lw in the world.

Rivaldo - if you can count him as a LW (which he did play - just not all that frequently).  Overmars at a push (although in decline).  Kily Gonzalez (was probably as good for as short a period of time).  Luis Figo (sometimes played on the left I believe).

Overmars and Gonzalez better were not better than robert in those 2 seasons.

The original comment was that Robert was one of the best LWs in the world.  You can't be one of the best LWs in the world if you are exceptional for only 2 seasons.  That is not nearly a long enough period to be regarded as one of the best LWs in the world.

How stupid are you? In those 2/3 seasons he was one of the best LWs in the world.

In the sense that the fan's get on Jonas' back like they did with Robert. Two frustrating players. Does something poor in the game and you can hear the abusive shout outs and groans go right through the ground.

Would agree on this, though I got laughed at by quite a few friends when I said it.  Imagine if we had a LW now that would score 8-10 goals a season and around 20 assists with Carroll upfront.

Pires, Giggs, Ronaldinho, Nedved at least. Feel like im missing someone. I agree somewhat, and I'll rephrase: The two of them combined would arguably be the best lw in the world.

Rivaldo - if you can count him as a LW (which he did play - just not all that frequently).  Overmars at a push (although in decline).  Kily Gonzalez (was probably as good for as short a period of time).  Luis Figo (sometimes played on the left I believe).

The original comment was that Robert was one of the best LWs in the world.  You can't be one of the best LWs in the world if you are exceptional for only 2 seasons.  That is not nearly a long enough period to be regarded as one of the best LWs in the world.

How stupid are you? In those 2/3 seasons he was one of the best LWs in the world.

I'll ignore your mindless name calling as I suspect most people should.

My point is that you can't look at a player's two season period and say he was one of the best LWs in the world.  That's bit like saying that Kevin Phillips was one of the best strikers in the world at one point because he had a few good seasons.  Looking at a small isolated period is utterly pointless.

I'll ignore your mindless name calling as I suspect most people should.

My point is that you can't look at a player's two season period and say he was one of the best LWs in the world.  That's bit like saying that Kevin Phillips was one of the best strikers in the world at one point because he had a few good seasons.  Looking at a small isolated period is utterly pointless.

He wasn't, though. Robert was.

Guest Roger Kint

But if you are talking ONLY about those two/three seasons, could he have been one of the best LW during that period, and that period alone?

I guess by Hughesy's logic we may as well cancel the ballon d'or as its not possible to judge them on just a small period......

Guest Roger Kint

That would be the season in which he got 12 goals and played a part in christ knows how many others. And was booed off during the final home game. :lol:

6 goals, 7 assists in the league plus another 6 goals in cups.

Guest neesy111

All this talk about Robert is making me sad, when will have LW like that again? HBA...maybe, though I think they're quite different. Will never forgive Souness the cunt for the way he treated Robert!

HBA will certainly be the best winger we've had since Robert imo.

Most of us have missed any form of bombing from Jonas for some time never mind against Stevenage......

He was excellent at Wigan.  I guess it's not part of the zeitgeist to praise tyneside's latest scapegoat though.

Excellent? He had a good game while messing up a excellent chance, but seriously, to suggest he was excellent while attempting to chastise me for a pretty fair opinion based on more than one single game is taking the piss!

He did a lot of bombing, you said we hadn't seen any in some time.  You were wrong.  Despite his many faults, he bombed up and down that flank all afternoon and was a fundamental component in us getting a valuable win.  I was there and cheered him 'til hoarse.  his attitude was excellent and his role pivotal in the win.

oooohhhh sooopafan alert, no matter how hoarse you made yourself you still can only offer one good game? As i have already admitted he was good(not excellent as was said) but hey if he can do it once who cares about the many other times he couldnt eh?

You said he'd done nowt recently.  I named a recent game in which he'd done a lot. I'm offering you nothing, I'm not attempting to chastise you.  I'm illustrating what you say is wrong using a piece of evidence that contradicts what you claimed.    Seems pretty reasonable to me.

You are struggling to read what is in front of you so its not worth saying much more after this. Chastising was several posts ago well done for catching up, as was my verdict of Wigan where i clearly stated he played well although i dispute the bombing part.

:binkybaby:

Guest Roger Kint

Most of us have missed any form of bombing from Jonas for some time never mind against Stevenage......

He was excellent at Wigan.  I guess it's not part of the zeitgeist to praise tyneside's latest scapegoat though.

Excellent? He had a good game while messing up a excellent chance, but seriously, to suggest he was excellent while attempting to chastise me for a pretty fair opinion based on more than one single game is taking the piss!

He did a lot of bombing, you said we hadn't seen any in some time.  You were wrong.  Despite his many faults, he bombed up and down that flank all afternoon and was a fundamental component in us getting a valuable win.  I was there and cheered him 'til hoarse.  his attitude was excellent and his role pivotal in the win.

oooohhhh sooopafan alert, no matter how hoarse you made yourself you still can only offer one good game? As i have already admitted he was good(not excellent as was said) but hey if he can do it once who cares about the many other times he couldnt eh?

You said he'd done nowt recently.  I named a recent game in which he'd done a lot. I'm offering you nothing, I'm not attempting to chastise you.  I'm illustrating what you say is wrong using a piece of evidence that contradicts what you claimed.    Seems pretty reasonable to me.

You are struggling to read what is in front of you so its not worth saying much more after this. Chastising was several posts ago well done for catching up, as was my verdict of Wigan where i clearly stated he played well although i dispute the bombing part.

WTF? Guess childish smileys is about the best i should expect given your attempts at using words......

WTF? Guess childish smileys is about the best i should expect given your attempts at using words......

A last resort given your reluctance to admit the you were wrong.  I may be many things Mr Kint but ineloquent isn't one of them. 

Guest Roger Kint

A last resort given your reluctance to admit the you were wrong.  I may be many things Mr Kint but ineloquent isn't one of them. 

Sweet Jesus still cant read? Fuck it you arent worth a squirt of piss nevermind repeating it again