Realistic Transfer Targets January 2011

Guest koenji

Precisely. Such a sinking feeling. Not to be all mopey and such, but if Hughton were still here we'd be laughing at the very mention of any doubt surrounding players' futures. Now it's just like :undecided: .

there would probably still be the same feeling about keeping our players, there always is every window

Precisely. Such a sinking feeling. Not to be all mopey and such, but if Hughton were still here we'd be laughing at the very mention of any doubt surrounding players' futures. Now it's just like :undecided: .

I doubt it like. Can't see how Pardew makes it any different. It's the same owner at the end of the day.

Guest Heneage

I think that's very harsh on Simpson. He's not great, but I believe at 23 he has time to develop after all Leighton Baines is really starting to perform and he's 26. I'd also not rule out Xisco quite yet, but I agree the idea of quantity over quality is a little naive. However with signings like Tiote I am buoyed by the potential scouting network we have, the problem is not every player will come as ready to perform like Tiote has, some will take time and development.

It depends what kind of backup players we go for. There are 3 main types:

The first type is players like R Taylor, Alan Smith, Sol Campbell - experienced but sub-standard players who are content warming the bench at a big club - Bad

The second type is hungry, unproven youngsters who are happy enough warming the bench for now and getting a little bit of game-time at a big club - Good

The third is players from lower leagues who are deemed good enough to make the step up but may need some time to adjust - Hit and miss

Pardew has knowledge of the lower league and Ashley loves youngsters and has an eye for a bargain so my guess is that we'll be looking for type 2 and type 3 players, in which case i'd be fairly happy.

Sol Campbell is as sub-standard as Alan Smith now?

Pathetic.

I'm not saying they're on a par but you can hardly claim that Campbell has been decent this season.

He also doesn't fall into the category of a lower league player or a hungry youngster does he? It was just an example Ronaldo, don't get your thong in a twist

Guest Tall Striker

Pathetic.

I'm not saying they're on a par but you can hardly claim that Campbell has been decent this season.

He also doesn't fall into the category of a lower league player or a hungry youngster does he? It was just an example Ronaldo, don't get your thong in a twist

You taking the piss? Barring West Brom away he's looked solid and commanding.

He's exactly the type of player we need to cover for flappy arms Taylor when he drops a bollock, because he reads the game so well.

Other than striker we actually don't really "need" first team players. I'd struggle to name realistic transfer targets that could significantly improve our first XI that are within our price range.

"no marks to sit on the bench" is actually exactly what we lack. We need some reliable backup options about par with Routledge or S.Taylor quality-wise that can come in instead of players who have proven that they are blatantly not even good enough to sit on the bench. (Guthrie, Lovenkrands, Smith)

January is a time to sign those last few role players who will help you meet your short term goals (for us, avoiding relegation.) It's not for buying big names who will instantly bring you up a notch quality-wise.

Pathetic.

He's exactly the type of player we need to cover for flappy arms Taylor when he drops a bollock, because he reads the game so well.

His bad game was against Liverpool.

Guest Tall Striker

Pathetic.

His bad game was against Liverpool.

I don't think he was that bad against Liverpool. I thought he was poor against West Brom, where he was caught out of possession numerous times and constantly looked to hoof the ball.

Unless my eyes deceived me from 30 yards away from the match.

http://www.journallive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2010/12/23/pardew-admits-his-squad-is-short-of-options-61634-27873473/?

NEWCASTLE United will attempt to bring in two players during the January transfer window with Alan Pardew admitting the squad he has inherited is short of options in vital areas.

The Journal understands United’s new manager is looking to sign a striker and a left-back, although these are likely to be loan deals to provide cover for first-choice players rather than big money replacements.

Guest Tall Striker

Ronaldo wins again.

I would think that raiding the up and coming Southampton players would be a good start for our youth transfer policy. I saw on sky yesterday that Fulham and Arsenal are trying to sign a Southampton youth.

Aye in the 'replying with the comment of a three year old' ratings. :lol:

Unless at least one of Xisco, Best and Lovenkrands are going I can't see the point in bringing in yet another squad-level striker. If anyone we bring in is better than those then he will probably be starting by default, or at the very least competing with Shola for the second spot. Ranger will surely have to go out on loan too, or else there's even less point.

Guest Tall Striker

Unless at least one of Xisco, Best and Lovenkrands are going I can't see the point in bringing in another squad-level striker. If anyone we bring in is better than those then he will probably be starting by default.

I'd add Shola into that as well. Carroll is the only striker we have who i'd say is Premier League quaility. Shola just gets the nod as he's usually seen as the least shit of all the rest, which is massively open to debate anyway.

Ronaldo wins again.

I would think that raiding the up and coming Southampton players would be a good start for our youth transfer policy. I saw on sky yesterday that Fulham and Arsenal are trying to sign a Southampton youth.

You're not the sharpest, are you?

Unless at least one of Xisco, Best and Lovenkrands are going I can't see the point in bringing in another squad-level striker. If anyone we bring in is better than those then he will probably be starting by default.

I'd add Shola into that as well. Carroll is the only striker we have who i'd say is Premier League quaility. Shola just gets the nod as he's usually seen as the least shit of all the rest, which is massively open to debate anyway.

:thup:

Guest Tall Striker

Ronaldo wins again.

You're not the sharpest, are you?

That's putting it bluntly.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

How man, stop feeding the Ronaldo Troll.

You're turning him from this:

http://www.conti-online.com/generator/www/uk/en/contisoccerworld/themes/02_fanzone/04_stars/img/ronaldo_portraet_en,property=original.jpg

to this:

http://img.metro.co.uk/i/pix/2008/07/ronaldoholidayBIG_450x474.jpg