Realistic Transfer Targets January 2011

Guest koenji

Lee Chung Yong, the Korean right winger for Bolton looks pretty good when I've seen him. Still only 22 and adapted quickly to the Premier League. Sort of player we could attract, would fit the team's work ethic and who would have his best years ahead of him.

Guest Stephen927

Lee Chung Yong, the Korean right winger for Bolton looks pretty good when I've seen him. Still only 22 and adapted quickly to the Premier League. Sort of player we could attract, would fit the team's work ethic and who would have his best years ahead of him.

He pretty much sums up what a confidence player is. Not a bad shout at all.

If we sign one player in January it should be a forward. Might sound strange given we are scoring freely but surely it's only a matter of time before Best and Xisco move on and I believe a proper striker partner for Carroll would have finished off teams like Blackpool and Stoke.

Preferably a Bellamy type of forward who has pace and will play off the shoulder of the last defender as well as work the channels. Ben Arfa would appear a good option for this role but we could do with another option espescially as we don't know when he'll return or how his condition will be.

Ameobi's doing well at the minute but we'll see if he can keep it up. Lovenkrands, Nolan, Best, Xisco, none are convincing in a striker's role.

A right winger is the other priority. Barton's done well out wide but it doesn't seem a permanent solution. Routledge doesn't really cut it. Barton has given the right back more protection and I believe it's shown in Simpson's performances.

This!

I highly doubt that we have that much money or that Lille would sell Gervinho in january, very unlikely. But i would love it if we went in for him before next season. He's class, one for now and the future, can play in many positions also, drueling when i think about him in our team playing with Carroll.

I dont think we should sign too many players before next season, maybe one or two quality players (Ben Arfa included) What i would go for is some better players with potential for back up to our current first team, so that the quality of our squad increases. We should not forget that  we wouldn't want to change too much too early with players in and out, that's no good.

But of course it's still early in the season and much might change during the season, we dont know how good each player will be for the rest of the season, but it looks good at this moment, hopefully no injurys to our most important players!

But if it was the end of the season now and the planning for new recruits started now i would go for a quality pacey striker like Gervinho, and sign up Ben Arfa and then look for some better backup players than we have now in some positions.

That for me would be a great transfer window!

If we really want to push on then we need to bring in better players than we have already. 

Simpson

Ferguson

Perch

Smith

Guthrie

Lovenkrands

Best

Raylor

Xisco

Campbell

Ranger

are all either not good enough or not ready yet.  Out of that lot we keep Ranger and Ferguson and the others can be got rid.  If we bring any good new players in to replace those left out of that list it will be a good window.  Even 3 or 4 better than those would be a step up over the next 2 windows or so.

After that getting better players in than we have already becomes a lot harder and could potential disrupt the tactics we have at the moment.  However we do need backup players for Enrique, Tiote and the center backs.

So plenty for Chris to be going for in the transfer window. I'm convinced he will get it right, like the Tiote, Gosling, Williamson signings theres not always the need to go for the big names.

Guest palnese

If we are going to continue to play the two big men up front, than Chris might look at John Carew. His contract at Villa is up in the summer.

Nah. He has a shite attitude and is prone to injuries. I think he is finished at the top level.

He was a sensational talent back when he was 17-18, but his lack of desire to improve let him down.

Carew has never been that serious about training or improving, he's just made a great career out of the talent he was born with.

Not the kind of player we should be looking at IMO.

Very harsh on Simpson that. Watch the Arsenal game again.

Yes, certainly keep Simpson, didn't mean to post getting rid of him.

Still don't think he is ready yet though, a few good games so far but my point being to move to the next stage we really need to be looking at a better right back and he is easier to replace than the other players in the starting 11. Getting better players in than we have already is the only way to get better. 

As for Carew  :no:

Would rather play Ranger.

Guest Stephen927

Very harsh on Simpson that. Watch the Arsenal game again.

Yes, certainly keep Simpson, didn't mean to post getting rid of him.

Still don't think he is ready yet though, a few good games so far but my point being to move to the next stage we really need to be looking at a better right back and he is easier to replace than the other players in the starting 11. Getting better players in than we have already is the only way to get better. 

Absolutely. Long term I'd be worried if he was still our first choice right back, unless he improves dramatically and keeps up his recent form. He's different to Perch and Ryan Taylor in that he is a reliable enough performer to be decent back-up. Not sure how easy the latter two would be to shift mind.

Well both were cheap and on low wages so its not a great concern, I'm sure both are worth £500k each. 

Think we are spoilt with Enrique mind first top drawer left back I can remember, can't think of the last Right back we had that was real top drawer.

Guest palnese

Well both were cheap and on low wages so its not a great concern, I'm sure both are worth £500k each. 

Think we are spoilt with Enrique mind first top drawer left back I can remember, can't think of the last Right back we had that was real top drawer.

Habib Beye was top 3 in the league.

Guest Stephen927

Beye in his first season before injury disrupted his second. Beye and Enrique at full back compared to the dross we had with the likes of Huntington and Ramage filling in, good times. :lol:

Yeah, cos Bolton will happily sell him. Seriously people?

We missed the boat on him bigtime. Should have been in for him while he was banging them in for my local club over here and was willing to go for peanuts to any Prem club that would have him. If he moves at all it'll be to one of the 4th~8th place clubs.

Guest Heneage

We missed the boat on him..

Racist.

We missed the boat on him bigtime. Should have been in for him while he was banging them in for my local club over here and was willing to go for peanuts to any Prem club that would have him. If he moves at all it'll be to one of the 4th~8th place clubs.

i've just mentioned him in another thread, think he is a cracking player and would fit in our style well and i would love us to sign him.  Biggest problem would be getting Bolton to sell though.  The bonus of getting him would also be the extra money we could make on the merchandise side of things over in Asia and the far east.