Referees - Psychological Slavery

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Just s*** at their jobs, always have been.

Sooner we get technology in the better, we cannot rely on one persons decision for such important decisions any longer.

howay man, even now after 30 or so viewings of the pen we still cant decide if it was a foul or not, though it was outside the box.

They should just not bother with referees and have someone making random decisions. Would get more decisions right than they currently do.

Sack them all and replace them with robots. I'd rather have goal line technology, video reviews, and all the other scary technology that FIFA swears will destroy the game than the bent group of idiots we have right now.

Exactly.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

I don't know if they're corrupt or just s*** at their jobs, it would be interesting to know if anyone at the FA is keeping a serious eye on them though.

Well you can't speak up against referees without getting fines/bans so they won't feel they have to do anything about the continual terrible refereeing performances.

Yeah, it is odd you can't air your views as it 'undermines' the referee's credibility. You can feedback on the ref's performance through the match day report, but what comes of it? Who looks at it? Does anyone pay attention it if you're 'Joe Bloggs' complaining about decisions against you at Old Trafford? For a group of people who are very well paid to do their job, Refs have so much protection from criticism its unreal.

One of the Blatter arguments against technology is that these types of decisions create talking points... as if a sense of injustice makes the game more lively.

Makes you wonder if there's not a "contentious decision quota" that referees need to be hitting. For the sake of keeping things interesting, obviously.

When you're playing a competitive football match you're running on emotion, if you make a good tackle or whatever and the ref blows for a free kick of course you're gonna get fucked off and ask questions.

The problem now is that too many refs think everyone has showed up to watch them and not the match.  Complete ego maniacs.  They don't talk to players and explain decisions, just ignore them or tell them to do one.  Then the second the player raises his voice, he's booked.  It's a joke.

Maybe if they communicated a bit more they'd get the respect they crave.

You're so wrong, sorry.

The ref's decision is final, simple as that. If he doesn't give a free kick, it wasn't a free kick. That's how it should be viewed IMO.

Still feel this way?  :rolleyes:

Guest Chris P

It's corrupt as fuck. It can not be any other way. They say the championship is a hard league but this season has opened my eye's. The Nolan one is a case in point.

The lad must have been paid to ignore that one. How many times have you seen something like that not given. Please somebody give me an example because i can't think of one

Two blatant penalties not given for us, two blatant non-events given against us in a grand total of eight matches.

And I still haven't forgotten that we went down because of a wrongly disallowed Mark Viduka goal and a plethora of other utterly idiotic decisions that season.

Either the refs are all closet Sunderland supporters or someone is not "paying up." This has gone beyond the point where we can just shrug and say "everyone gets their share of bad decisions"

There used to be a website rightresult.net that showed what the league table would look like without the mistakes.  I'm not sure if it is still being updated though, it's asksing for a username/password at the moment. 

The league table without mistakes in the season we went down highlighted how many decisions went against us that season, we would have stayed up by a few points but for crap refereeing.  Sadly I can already see this season going the same way.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Great example of refs caving into pressure of a bigger team yesterday at the Man U game. Gave the backpass against West Brom for the looping clearance, the exact same type that wasn't given when John Terry did it for Chelsea.

Fulham v Tottenham - Ref reversing Linesman's decision to allow Huddlestone's goal to stand. Gallas clearly interfering with play in an offside position.

Sorry - all this talk of corruption etc is total bollocks.  Corrupt means taking bribes or such to influence a game. Are you really saying that a referee is getting a brown envelope full of money to ensure that team X wins?  Not likely.

Now referees being pressured?  For sure. Pressured to get the big calls right? - of course. Pressured not to get something wrong and change a game? - absolutely. Pressured to deal with the big game environment? - and let the players decide things? Yes.

Yes, referees want to get the bigger games. But that means doing well in their game assessments, not by letting X team win.  I would be pretty sure that all Prem League games are reviewed with the referee to go over the key decisions  - what they saw, why they gave what they did etc.

Take off the Team Glasses and take a totally unbiased look at a game. Or better yet, pick up the whistle and take on a competitive game - try refereeing a few games and see how much harder it really is when every decision you make has an instant reaction.

Guest Heneage

I find the standard of refereeing in this country one of the worst in Europe. This season seems to have peaked with the officials consistently getting big decisions wrong.

Sorry - all this talk of corruption etc is total bollocks.  Corrupt means taking bribes or such to influence a game. Are you really saying that a referee is getting a brown envelope full of money to ensure that team X wins?  Not likely.

Now referees being pressured?  For sure. Pressured to get the big calls right? - of course. Pressured not to get something wrong and change a game? - absolutely. Pressured to deal with the big game environment? - and let the players decide things? Yes.

Yes, referees want to get the bigger games. But that means doing well in their game assessments, not by letting X team win.  I would be pretty sure that all Prem League games are reviewed with the referee to go over the key decisions  - what they saw, why they gave what they did etc.

Take off the Team Glasses and take a totally unbiased look at a game. Or better yet, pick up the whistle and take on a competitive game - try refereeing a few games and see how much harder it really is when every decision you make has an instant reaction.

Spot on. And the Gallas/Huddlestone decision was totally correct.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Gallas made a play for the ball - regardless if he touched it or not he was 'active' in an offside position.  Though I guess this highlights the issues with the rules and interpretations of them. As Gimp mentioned same happen today in the Blackpool game only the Ref and Linesmen agreed it was offside. No consistency.

Gallas made a play for the ball - regardless if he touched it or not he was 'active' in an offside position.  Though I guess this highlights the issues with the rules and interpretations of them. As Gimp mentioned same happen today in the Blackpool game only the Ref and Linesmen agreed it was offside. No consistency.

The definition of being 'active' has been restricted to touching the ball for a good few years now.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

The definition of being 'active' has been restricted to touching the ball for a good few years now.

That's open to a whole load of abuse if people are clever with it. Standing out of keeper's view, but making a dummy hit for the ball to put him off (similar to Gallas). Still doesn't explain Blackpool's being disallowed, other than lack of consistency.

Just out of interest... how many decisions a game do people think it's possible for a human being to get right? Assuming it's less than 100%, as the game is so fast and some things are open to debate, would be interesting to know how many of the supposed millions of mistakes that refs make are actually acceptable.

Also, how much blame goes to managers for constantly pressurising officials, and to players for constantly trying to con them?

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

WIthout a doubt its a pressure situation, and I'm not expecting 100% success. However, its interesting to see which players and managers referees are swayed by - its usually the ones with a higher reputation/credibility, rightly or wrongly.

The refs know there'll be a massive carry on if they give owt against the top teams so they constantly bottle decisions that aren't stonewall, simple as.

Alex Ferguson is one of the big reasons for this imo - he's been steadily increasing his 'mind games' for years now and it amounts to cheating as far as I'm concerned. Him and the rest know exactly what they're doing when they put a referee under pressure.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

The refs know there'll be a massive carry on if they give owt against the top teams so they constantly bottle decisions that aren't stonewall, simple as.

Alex Ferguson is one of the big reasons for this imo - he's been steadily increasing his 'mind games' for years now and it amounts to cheating as far as I'm concerned.  Him and the rest know exactly what they're doing when they put a referee under pressure.

That's the whole issue regarding the discussion of 'psychological slavery'. I'm not saying they're on the take, but are mentally being conned and allow reputation and an 'easier life' to get in the way of true officiating.