De Jong

Yorkie
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Well done by the club to lodge a formal complaint, even though it may not lead to anything.  I'm very proud we've done that.  I'm still abs shocked that this actually happened to HBA, and I watched the match live on the tele.

Guest firetotheworks

Aye, I think Calderwood's been very naive coming out with that opinion there. If that's his view, then fair enough, I disagree with him, but if Hughton has said one thing, he should either agree or keep his mouth shut. He'll look especially daft now that the club have put in a complaint about it.

Calderwood should be sacked.

The whole footballing world is coming out and slating De Jong, he's even dropped from his national team because of the tackle, yet our own assistant manager undermines the entire club by saying it was ok.

Fucking hell, man.

He did not say it was ok ffs.

Alot of people in this country have got this faux-macho bullshit going on, saying "it's a mans game" etc. The people backing De Jong are the same people that worship Vinnie Jones and "Chopper" Harris etc, the same people that spend time thinking about who their teams hardest player is. It's bullshit, no one has ever proved how hard they are on a footballer pitch, and throwing yourself into challenges with your eyes closed shows nothing but cowardice.

This ridiculous rule that they can't overrule referees has been a joke for years. Is everyone in the FA oblivious to the fact that referees need some of their power taken away? They can't handle todays game to be frank.

People like Atkinson are of course a complete other f***ing level of retarded incompetence. But just in general, when it's a fact more mistakes are being made in today's game by referees, decisions need to be allowed to be f***ing retrospectively overturned.

Actually, I would see "Post Video Review" as adding to a referee's power.  Being a referee isn't easy, and anyone who says it is, has never done it.

As a Referee you hate to change a game (and you're always the game changer - never the players) and if you're not sure what you saw then you don't want to give something.  So your more likely to let something go if you're not sure, than Red Card/award a PK etc when you're not sure.

I would love to know that video replay was there - It would be a training tool for me as a referee to get better, and would allow me to rachette up my misconducts knowing that if I was wrong that it would be downgraded etc. It would also allow referees to say, I only got an interupted view, and had I seen on the field (what I saw on the replay) then I would have issued this card etc.

No Calderwood should not be sacked, for christ sake...

Silly comments by him, but fucking hell people are going way over board

Agree.

I'd be quite alarmed if Calderwood was just agreeing with everything Hughton was saying to keep him happy. I do think that going out in the media and defending De Jong is a stupid move, but it's good to know he isn't just a yes man, but someone who offers his genuine opinion to Hughton.

No Calderwood should not be sacked, for christ sake...

Silly comments by him, but f***ing hell people are going way over board

Agree.

I'd be quite alarmed if Calderwood was just agreeing with everything Hughton was saying to keep him happy. I do think that going out in the media and defending De Jong is a stupid move, but it's good to know he isn't just a yes man, but someone who offers his genuine opinion to Hughton.

Considering we've written to the FA about it he shouldn't have been saying anything at all.

Guest BooBoo

I discovered today that a gateway to charge grievous bodily harm exists in situations like this, where despite being a lawful game with tackling allowed, reckless force causes serious injury.

Never mind writing to the police, The Club should be complaining to Greater Manchester Police. 

A precedent should be set to deter these leg breaking challenges.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

I discovered today that a gateway to charge grievous bodily harm exists in situations like this, where despite being a lawful game with tackling allowed, reckless force causes serious injury.

Never mind writing to the police, The Club should be complaining to Greater Manchester Police. 

A precedent should be set to deter these leg breaking challenges.

Executive of the PFA has basically came out today and warned players to expect that in the future if they don't tone down their tackles.

We're losing 50 players a year through injury and I don't want any of those leaving the game because another player was careless," said Gordon Taylor.

"The field of play is not an oasis from law and order and we remind players that they have a duty of care to their fellow professionals on other teams.

"I don't want to see careers ended early by tackles that are proved to be reckless and unnecessary.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/9063104.stm

Think there's been very few cases over the years of Sports people suing for lost of income due to career ending injuries. Remember there was a young Man U scholar that did so, and obviously the guy Joey Barton crooked.

Guest BooBoo

I've a good mind to write to Newcastle and tell them instead of wasting their time with the FA saps, to pursue justice through the courts.

It'll make me feel better even if the letter will no doubt go straight in the bin!

Find it fascinating that some folk think violent assault on the field of play, when it's clearly intended to seriously injure or maim another player as has happened here with De Jong on Ben Arfa, shouldn't be dealt with as a crime.

Guest firetotheworks

Taking it too far man, if the ball was nowhere near them, then maybe, but as far as I'm concerned the only incident I've seen that was assault was Ben Thatcher on Pedro Mendes.

Taking it a bit far IMO.

Appreciate it's not a cut and dry sort of issue, mate...but honestly, when you see a repeat offender like De Jong getting paid f** knows how much a week to neutralise genuinely talented players by knacking them, it gets to be something a bit more than a disciplinary matter for the FA to deal with, in my opinion. When you have someone behaving like that, basically being a thug, it's bordering on criminality in my view, and needs to be dealt with as such...or at least in a way where the player in question realises that he doesn't have some sort of diplomatic immunity from the justice system whilst on the field of play.

If we're treating it as a crime, how far do we go. Any player that gets any injury through a bad tackle gets taken through the courts. It would ruin the game! The footballing laws should be tightend and players should be punished by the FA. I'm as upset and annoyed as anyone about Ben Arfa and that fuckin cunt de Jong.